PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrapping my whole car?

aboo
02-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Most of you will know that I'm planning on getting my bonnet vinyl rapped to match my car. In the last week or so I'v been looking at some drift & tack cars with all the sponsor's plastered all over them.

I'v now been thinking of having something like this done to my car. I don't want company names all over it but something a bit different. Something that would stand out. I'm undecided & wanted some opinions to see what you guys think.

peter thomson
03-06-2011, 12:04 AM
It might attract the wrong kind of attention Andy but it's up to you

aboo
03-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Thought about that as well Peter. Was thinking more for the shows & something a bit different. Still undecided. Just throwing the idea out there to see what people thought.

sabreuk
03-06-2011, 01:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmDTFinX5v4

hows about a vinyl wrap along the lines of an airbrushed theme effect for example something like this maybe not avp but a theme of some sort

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmDTFinX5v4

Oggie
03-06-2011, 04:42 AM
Vinyl wrapping of any sort is sp wrong on many levels.

I been told i should Vinyl wrap my car if i am goign to matte black it. si i can peel it off when i sell it.

no bloody thanks. in for a penny in for a pound.

tl;dr version. Vinyl's are just plain tacky..

chris g
03-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Check out SJS Designs website...

Plenty of ideas and choices there that might suit your desires...

miller
03-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Vinyl wrapping of any sort is sp wrong on many levels.

I been told i should Vinyl wrap my car if i am goign to matte black it. si i can peel it off when i sell it.

no bloody thanks. in for a penny in for a pound.

tl;dr version. Vinyl's are just plain tacky..

Obviously you havent seen one done correctly then!

Andy,

Even a simple colour change is easy! Check out Paul who detailed my Evo as he does Vinyl wrapping....his latest creation, a silver Range Rover into a white one!

http://www.pwpro.co.uk/cars/?portfolio=range-rover-sport-6

sabreuk
03-06-2011, 08:56 AM
And one of my mates brothers owns a franchise I'n Leeds of raccoon stuff have a look at there gallery and still say
wraps are crap plus the cost is half of a spray job and less time consuming.

http://www.raccoon.co.uk/

Beastlee
03-06-2011, 08:58 AM
That's pretty impressive Mike! I'm guessing that's cheaper than a re-spray but I can see issues with that level of wrapping.

Andy, I always liked the way Pete's JD car looked. As long as it's done right I'm sure it would look great.

orionn2o
03-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Wow what does wrapping a whole car cost? Does anyone know?

Does the paint work suffer underneath ?

Humpty's Revenge
03-06-2011, 09:51 AM
For those that don't know but you don't need to inform DVLA of the colour change simply because it's not permanent.

miller
03-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Wow what does wrapping a whole car cost? Does anyone know?

Does the paint work suffer underneath ?

You would be looking in the region of £1000 - £1500 for an entire car...done correctly. Thats all trims, lights, handles removed to get correct edges etc. ANything cheaper expect to see edge lines on panel joints

The paintwork doesnt suffer underneath, removal is the same as application, all vinyl is heated up and falls off with aid of moisture etc.

I went to a demo day at PWPRo and so learned a few things, i can tell you its highly impressive operation to watch, Paul at PWPro wrapped an Evo bonnet during the demo...it was like factory new when finished!

orionn2o
03-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Wow its very cool... 1500 is perhaps a little more than i'd wanna spend i think. but then hmmm i dunno!

orionn2o
03-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Ahhhh keep going back to those links!!! I wanna wrap something now lol

miller
03-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Ahhhh keep going back to those links!!! I wanna wrap something now lol

Matt,

Paul does Evo's day in day out so could probably quote accurately over the phone! Tell him Mike (irish) sent ya lol

sy666
03-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Andy, I'm with the race look idea but not wanting company names could make a race look difficult, how about taking a leaf out of the top gear book and make up some "interesting" company names of your own. Have been toying with the idea of a Relentless car seeing as EVERYONE does Monster! Plus Rentless logo is a bit more interesting

orionn2o
03-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Matt,

Paul does Evo's day in day out so could probably quote accurately over the phone! Tell him Mike (irish) sent ya lol

I will possibly look into this Mike, need to get my monster back on the road first!

orionn2o
03-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Andy, I think the conclusion to this thread is that YES you should wrap your car. And you should do it as soon as possible so we can see the results.

Thread Closed ;)

Humpty's Revenge
03-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Thread Closed ;)

Hey what where?:book:

aboo
03-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Fancy something like this http://www.sjsdesign.com/large/Storm2.jpg Saw this one at Japfest 2 years ago & thought it looked good.

Great links guys. There is a really good place up here that do the vinyl wrapping. http://www.vinylcut.co.uk/id21.html. They'v gave me a price for the bonnet but think I will talk to them about the whole car to see what ideas they come up with/yes

Spirit
03-06-2011, 06:28 PM
For those that don't know but you don't need to inform DVLA of the colour change simply because it's not permanent.

Funny, was gonna ask that very question.

What about though if a copper does a PNC check and of course comes back as a different colour and he pulls you ? I guess you would have to peel some of it off to prove the original colour ?

stuartturbo
03-06-2011, 07:34 PM
I will possibly look into this Mike, need to get my monster back on the road first!
There is a place local to you.
Old boy was amazed when he was working across the road and see the transformation

Oggie
04-06-2011, 08:38 AM
speakign of this thread. I priced up to see what my legnum would cost to get redone in vynal. 1900 dollars., hmmm think a paint job would go down much better.

BillHardy
04-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Andy,i think you should get it wrapped with CVR4 plastered all over in big letters and it could be the official Club car and sponsered by the club

Humpty's Revenge
04-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Funny, was gonna ask that very question.

What about though if a copper does a PNC check and of course comes back as a different colour and he pulls you ? I guess you would have to peel some of it off to prove the original colour ?

If there traffic cops Pete they should in theory already know the law, but if it's not then a jobs worth could be potentially a great big pain in the arse.

I would say get some paper work from DVLA stating it does not need to be changed. But we all know if someone digs there heels in it could cause problems but why should you be made to do something that's not eligible by law?

Oggie
04-06-2011, 11:17 AM
If there traffic cops Pete they should in theory already know the law, but if it's not then a jobs worth could be potentially a great big pain in the arse.

I would say get some paper work from DVLA stating it does not need to be changed. But we all know if someone digs there heels in it could cause problems but why should you be made to do something that's not eligible by law?

in one easy move you too can show them the original colour.

POP THE HOOD! and they can see the colour. mind you thats so simple it just might not work ;)

-blade-
04-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Most of you will know that I'm planning on getting my bonnet vinyl rapped to match my car. In the last week or so I'v been looking at some drift & tack cars with all the sponsor's plastered all over them.

I'v now been thinking of having something like this done to my car. I don't want company names all over it but something a bit different. Something that would stand out. I'm undecided & wanted some opinions to see what you guys think.

although many here think otherwise, i love a wrapped / graphic'd car based on white. go extreme, why not?! /Banana

as someone above mentioned, SJS Designs do some good stuff which if you treat as modular and buy what you like and add it all into one design you'd get something unique, and also as mad as you like. i reckon legnums look the business all japp'ed up in graphics, be it seperate vinyls or body wrap plus decals.

-blade-
04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
...........and as for the DVLA colour discussion, regardless of DVLA rules on when the colour must be notified, if a full colour change you should consider it as the cops use that info as informational only, and if a car they PNC as they go by comes back as a different colour from what they just saw youre getting stopped and turned over regardless of any DVLA rule or of who is right and who is wrong............................

SteveH
06-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Sticker bomb the whole car....try picking a colour for the DVLA then!

I actually quite like the sticker bomb look...i suspect my missus might go mental if i stickerbombed the bumber, wing mirrors and tailgate spoiler lol. Thinking about it, i could sticker bomb the strut brace and she would never know :ninja:

Maybe i could persuade her to let me buy some of those sexy canard things that go on the front bumper and sticker them up! i could just say the kids did it.

Humpty's Revenge
06-06-2011, 02:44 PM
...........and as for the DVLA colour discussion, regardless of DVLA rules on when the colour must be notified, if a full colour change you should consider it as the cops use that info as informational only, and if a car they PNC as they go by comes back as a different colour from what they just saw youre getting stopped and turned over regardless of any DVLA rule or of who is right and who is wrong............................

One can only go by what one has been told by the powers that be!!!;)

Pugme
06-06-2011, 11:12 PM
pretty much all the satin coloured cars you see on the roads are wrapped, a satin spray job is extremely hard to do because it has to be perfect straight of the gun.

im planning on having my track car wrapped in satin grey, maybe in the next 2 months, so will get pics up once its done.

Oggie
07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
ya know what? after watching youtube body wrapped cars I have decided they aint so damn tacky anymore lol.
When I think of Vinal, I cant help but think gfx designs.
lif its a temp paint job you need then i spose a body wrap is the best idea.

orionn2o
08-05-2012, 06:03 PM
So what are you going to go for then Andy after all of this time~?

aboo
08-05-2012, 06:17 PM
/lol Matt. If I am to do it, it will be a while. I do still like the idea though/yes

aboo
08-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Reading through the thread again the sticker bomb idea has caught my eye for the bonnet. I have seen a few cars with that now but its all been small cars. Don't know if it would look right on such a big bonnet & would it be to chavy?

aboo
08-05-2012, 06:50 PM
I may go for the sticker bomb look on the bonnet after looking at this on FB https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sticker-Bombing-cars/179396728761646. If it doesn't look good then it can be peeled off & cleaned.

Mark 4
08-05-2012, 08:48 PM
I have just started a new business with a junior partner. His other business is vinyl wrapping. Does Police cars, Ambulances, Vans for the Sky installation guys and also one offs. :whistle::afro:

aboo
08-05-2012, 09:16 PM
I have just started a new business with a junior partner. His other business is vinyl wrapping. Does Police cars, Ambulances, Vans for the Sky installation guys and also one offs. :whistle::afro:Very interesting/yes Can you get me a price for a 1.5m x 1.5m sheet of vinyl with the sticker bomb look?

SteveH
08-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I love the sticker bomb look.

Mark 4
08-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Very interesting/yes Can you get me a price for a 1.5m x 1.5m sheet of vinyl with the sticker bomb look?

It'll cost ya !

aboo
08-05-2012, 10:21 PM
It'll cost ya !Not to much I hope :)

Mark 4
08-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Not in monetary terms.:shout:

aboo
08-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Not in monetary terms.:shout:I knew you meant something else but what?

Mark 4
08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
It's in the smilie.

Mark 4
08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Literally.

aboo
08-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Pmsl /lol

Spirit
25-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Just thought I would add a few more links for anyone even considering any wrapping. See lots of threads on the MLR and find most of them amazing !

Take a look at some of these:

Astra VXR : http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=428654

Porsche 997 Video: http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=425176

Focus RS (chrome wrap - not my cup of tea): http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=424258

Evo X FQ400: http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=412606

Nissan GTR: http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=421460