PDA

View Full Version : ayc light is on

scorpion
04-06-2011, 07:04 AM
hello i wonder if you people can help me i have just bought my second legnum vr4 this is a 1997 white,anyway was driving to bristol from plymouth ,then noticed the redayc light has come on ,when i switch the car off then back on its gone until i start moving again ,what do you recomend to do ,appreciate replys.:huh:

Erskine_atom
04-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Read the error code from the dash by shorting pins 1 and 4 on the socket by the drivers left knee. Pay up your subscription, become a full member, (find peace and tranquility - optional) read the diagnostic codes in the members area and tahdah you will know whats going on! Although it's probably the pressure switch that's gone by the sounds of things. Although, having said that it could be any number of other things as well! Good luck!

Alan T
04-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Hi Shaun, I agree with James, it does sound like the pressure switch on the AYC Pump is the problem. I'm guessing you are not getting any of the green AYC lights either when the red AYC light is on.
I had this very same problem when I first got my Legnum. I replaced the switch and that solved it :thumbsup:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?16773-AYC-Switch-Test&highlight=adjusting%20ayc%20switch

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?31993-Advice-needed.&p=337748#post337748

TAR
04-06-2011, 12:26 PM
If you haven't already checked, have a look in the boot right hand side at the back and check the level and colour of the atf fluid in the AYC reservoir. It should be a nice red colour. If thats ok, it may be the pump pressure switch. As already stated, the error codes would be useful.

:happy:

scorpion
04-06-2011, 01:38 PM
thankyou to the replys so far i wiil become a full member soon will check the fluid soon as well many thanks so far

Rixarena
07-06-2011, 01:25 PM
is this a common problems on legnums?

Sam

chris g
07-06-2011, 01:37 PM
It happens...

It probably happens more on older cars where AYC system has had more work to do...

Its a pump, it gets tired - and a switch that needs changing to cope with the tired pump...

MPBVr4
07-06-2011, 01:37 PM
is this a common problems on legnums? Sam

It happens as cars get older. Nothing to worry about though. Well known solutions on here:whistle:

omrod
29-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Hi All, I need help please. Been driving for about 500 miles with the AYC light on ( I miss my magic lights). It works when it's cold, but recently comes on when I just get rolling (outside temp @ 16 C). Going to change the AYC fluid (£10/ltr Coupar Mistsu Dealership - bargin!!), and service oils, filters plugs etc. (Also 2 new front wheal bearing kit hubs - Highland roads just awesome).

But have this feeling that I might need to trick the temperature sensor as the pump is old and has to work harder, AYC "flinks" out. Where do I get this sensor or chip and how do I fit it please.

So the AYC works (I get those lights flashing - no doubt about that) - but then fails.

Where do I put my AYC fluid in, should I take the cover off the pump on the rear D/S under the car, or is it somewhere else. All help humbly accepted. Thank you. We must not let this superb bits of engineering die out, 285bhps tickets of fun for under £3k nothing beats that!! The best kept secret on the UK roads for sure......

apeman69
29-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Right hand boot trim. Small vertical panel hides AYC reservoir with screw cap and built in dipstick. Boot trim panel looks like an oblongish covered cubby hole and is nearest removable panel to tailgate on Legnum.

Roll on winter!

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyFingers :)

elnevio
29-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Well, the rear diff AYC actually has TWO places for AYC fluid, as well as one for regular gear oil.

The AYC has two parts - the actuator circuit (fill in the boot, needs to be bled through) and the clutch packs (fill and drain bolts on the diff). Each take around 0.5 to 0.75 litres of AYC fluid.

The clutch pack fluid is what takes the hammering, and degrades more quickly than the fluid in the actuator side.

What is actually more likely to be happening in your case is that the pump is getting tired and can't generate as much pressure as it used to. Fortunately (unless it's already been done!), this can be resolved for a couple of years or more by fitting an adjustable pressure switch to the pump, which allows the system to activate with a lower pressure. Send a PM to MPBVr4 on here, he should be able to hook you up with one.

Your symptoms certainly seem to fit this scenario - the colder it is (both ambient temperature, and condition of car), the more pressure will be generated while the AYC fluid is cold and less viscous. As it warms up, less pressure is generated and you are more likely to trip the AYC pump cut-out.