PDA

View Full Version : pod filter power loss?

frankyvr4
05-06-2011, 10:50 AM
hi guys,i've read on here a couple of times about how a pod filter is a power loss.
how and why is this?i've got a 114mm pod filter on mine and i have not felt any significant changes accept for the induction sound.

Wobble
05-06-2011, 10:57 AM
to much heat in the engine bay so it sucks in hot air instead, lots of people are anti pod filters saying that some people are not. the last rolling road we done we were going to try and give direct comparison results but we never got round to it. maybe the next one later this year.

Subaru ETA
05-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Continue to search and you will see that it's due to them changing the shape of the air as it passes through the MAF. There is dyno proof of this

Gly
05-06-2011, 10:58 AM
sucks in hot air, ecu compensates, pulls timing,

also the afm in a mitsi is karmen votex, pods mess with the airflow pattern, an intern the maf reads the air incorrectly
again messing up the tune an performance, causes over fueling

Wobble
05-06-2011, 11:00 AM
david have you got a link of the dyno ?

Subaru ETA
05-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Maaaaybe on here somewhere. The evidence we had from the last dyno day was that both William and myself cranked about 185kw ATW. we had similar mods just he had an upgraded front mount and I didn't. I had a slightly leaking BOV. We were both running std airbox with upgraded filter setups.

Other cars which had similar set ups but had pod filters were in the 150s. IIRC one car had all upgrade piping, front mount, boost, fuel pump etc and a pod and he was in the 140s!

Wobble
05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
am arranging a dyno day in the very near future. will organise a dyno run with standard airbox and then transfer on a pod filter on the same car and run again , that way there will be a direct comparison .will do it mine i think

frankyvr4
05-06-2011, 11:23 AM
thanks a lot guys!this makes it clear!thanks

elnevio
05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
The shape of the airflow is the key to the VR-4 setup, and thus bolting a pod filter direct onto the MAF (as is usually the case) will affect this shape. Installing a piece of pipe (preferably with a 90 degree bend in it) between the pod and MAF is apparently the way to smooth out the airflow.

The hot air in the engine bay issue isn't actually much of an issue in reality. It only has an effect when stationary (e.g. traffic lights, drag strip) as there is no air moving through the engine bay. But as soon as you get moving, the entire air volume of the engine bay gets replaced a significant number of times a minute!

Ryan
05-06-2011, 11:36 AM
In summary:

* pod filter on standard intake setup = bad.

* high flow panel filter on standard intake setup = good

Far easier to simply swap in a more efficient panel filter than mess about with "ifs and maybes" of adjusting the factory intake to accommodate a pod filter. Ask Jeremy (CANDEE) about their pod / factory dyno run. From memory the power difference was 7kW in favour of the factory setup.

I'm sure that if you searched for CANDEE as user name and look for dyno results which will show you conclusive proof that a pod setup is less efficient. I would search for you but it's a bank holiday weekend here and I simply can't be arsed :)

sabreuk
05-06-2011, 05:39 PM
would this with ref to the airflow which was mentioned being out of shape and causing afm to have a brain fart as it was.

http://www.sumopower.com/product/view/2129

GalantOnly
06-06-2011, 01:11 AM
My car was 0.2 sec slower on 1/8 mile with pod filter

CANDEE
06-06-2011, 02:33 AM
In summary:

* pod filter on standard intake setup = bad.

* high flow panel filter on standard intake setup = good

Far easier to simply swap in a more efficient panel filter than mess about with "ifs and maybes" of adjusting the factory intake to accommodate a pod filter. Ask Jeremy (CANDEE) about their pod / factory dyno run. From memory the power difference was 7kW in favour of the factory setup.

I'm sure that if you searched for CANDEE as user name and look for dyno results which will show you conclusive proof that a pod setup is less efficient. I would search for you but it's a bank holiday weekend here and I simply can't be arsed :)

Ive just tried to search for the relevant threads, but as these forums are dead slow, ive given up trying to find it....

Wynn(VR4 MAD) did back to back runs on the dyno with the factory air box and an apexi pod bolted onto the maf... He lost 7kwatw, while gaining 1psi of boost so effectively lost 17kwatw.... Also the AFR's went nuts too....

There was a thread put up by Jase I think, talking about pods that Wynn posted up the dyno sheet....

He was going to try a oval K&N pod at the last dyno day, but it didnt arrive in time for the runs...