PDA

View Full Version : stereo/ice help

SteveH
14-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I've recently bought a Legnum VR4 that has a stereo system fitted. It sounds ok but i'm thinking i would like to check its set up correctly plus i'm thinking about adding 2x10 inch subs, but thats for the future.

At the moment i have:

Alpine Headunit
Sony xplod 1100w amp (1 channel)
4 x vibe door speakers
2x tweeters
2x crossovers
1x 12 inch sub

As far as i can tell the amp is only powering the sub

I don't suppose someone could point me in the right direction to find a wiring diagram for this set up please?

Also, i do have some amps left over from my boy racer days one of which is a Kenwwod 300w 2 channel.....could i use this to power the door speakers?

Atik
14-06-2011, 01:59 PM
The basic setup would be...

Power lead from battery to main amp. Ground from amp to chassis somewhere in boot area. Sub left/right from head unit to main amp. Remote wire headunit to main amp. Then a wire from the main amp to the sub.
That is what you currently have.

In order to run the door speakers via amp, you can utilise the original door wiring or run some new stuff into the doors.
That would be...
Power lead from battery to 2nd amp. Ground from amp to chassis somewhere in boot area. Sub front/rear and left/right from head unit to main amp. Remote wire headunit to main amp. Then a wire from the main amp to each speaker.
OR the wires to each speaker could be run from the 2nd amp to the rear of the head unit where you chop the speaker wires and re-use the original wires.

SteveH
14-06-2011, 02:28 PM
cheers Atik, i forgot to say that the battery is in the boot.

I just went to take a look and discoverd the battery isn't tied down and the amp hasn't got an inline fuse, not that the amp appears to be working anyway:rolleyes3

Does the amp needed to be grounded or can i simply wire it back into the battery?

Disconnected it all and will reinstall it when i get some fuse boxes and a battery box. Has anyone used one of those plastic sealed battery boxes before? i might get one and fit the battery in the boot and get my spare wheel well back!

CANDEE
15-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Steve, the amp can either be grounded to chassis or the battery...

I have my mono currently grounded to the same grounding point as the battery. :)

My battery is in one of the plastic battery boxes as per below:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/SQTAXI/DSC01856.jpg

Remember to put a fuse within 300mm of the battery on the main feed too. :)

mattnz
15-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Why would you want to ground an amp to the battery? Just another wire in the engine bay imo. Mine is grounded to one of the front seat mounting points.

CANDEE
15-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Why would you want to ground an amp to the battery? Just another wire in the engine bay imo. Mine is grounded to one of the front seat mounting points.
As he says above Matt, he has the battery in the boot. :)

Grounding anything to the seat mounting points is a BIG no-no, remember those bolts actually come out below the car....

mattnz
18-06-2011, 12:24 AM
That's a point, I'll turn it off before going through any big puddles :p