PDA

View Full Version : The bell housing bolt under the transfer case ....

Marklar
16-06-2011, 12:24 PM
What are peoples thoughts on leaving this bolt out to allow the Transmission / Transfer case to be dropped as one in future.

peter thomson
16-06-2011, 12:35 PM
It isn't worth doing as long as you have a slide hammer to remove the drive shaft. That is where most people have problems but the removal of the shaft first makes the job very quick and not worth putting undue stress on the transmission by leaving out a bolt

Wodjno
16-06-2011, 12:47 PM
It isn't worth doing as long as you have a slide hammer to remove the drive shaft. That is where most people have problems but the removal of the shaft first makes the job very quick and not worth putting undue stress on the transmission by leaving out a bolt

As above.. Slide hammer makes for a very easy job /yes

Marklar
16-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Cool thanks for the quick reply, yeah I bought one just for that job. It was my first time doing it so I maybe over playing the annoyance factor, I have since removed, rebuilt and replaced an engine with a new clutch and managed to get it back with the transmission on all by my lonesome so it was a while ago. I was basically thinking along the lines of 'its there for a reason' so its actually in already but the transfer case is going back on in the morning and I was just thinking about it for the future but it is probably the least of my worries really.

(I realise I need to renew membership also, has been a while since I was here last. I have alot more confidence and must know a little bit about what I am doing now as I haven't needed to trawl the forums in ages ... I shall try to be of some assistance in future ... so thank you to all)