PDA

View Full Version : What is this hole from???

Fentonvr4
21-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Need some help peeps!

Start of the year i had a manual conversion done on my pfl saloon, since then my car has suffered from an irratic idle from a cold start.. after couple of minutes it was always alright.. but this may be down to using the lighter evo flywheel which is 6.5kg on mine (13 to 13.5lbs) but i doubt it as it is only on a cold start?? if it was the flywheel it would idle rough all the time wouldnt it? any ideas..

I changed the coolant temperature sensor, i tried a different MAF sensor, and i have just put a new Idle Stepper Motor on.. Going to see how this goes once its gone cold again. The Lambda sensor has also been changed now to Innovate LC-1 set up, however this was put on after the idle issue so its not that which is affecting it, however it does show that it can run to around 16afr on cold start??

When i was under the car for the first time since i noticed intercooler hose was loose on passenger side which may have had an effect? so i have tightened that up BUT i have noticed this hole which looks like its on the plastic pipe from the turbo's.. i don't know what this is im going to add a photo now if i can so people can tell me what itis, i don't think it should be left open like itis though!!

Once the car is warm the idle problem is fine and the afr reading does to 14 ish as you would expect, just want to know what your guys opinions are and any help would be much appreciated, Thanks =)

Nick Mann
21-06-2011, 12:47 PM
/ttiwwop

Atik
21-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Without seeing the pic, maybe its a leftover from a BOV change? Erratic idle reading have been reported when BOVs have been changed.

Nutter_John
21-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Sounds like your talking about the dump valve recirculate pipe that goes to the turbo inlet ?

16 afr does sound lean for a dead cold start

If there is not a pipe on the inlet then you would get unmetered air in the system

Fentonvr4
21-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Here it is if it has uploaded!!

Anderz
21-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Sound like the return pipe from the blow off valve, it is connected to the plastic intake piping near the front turbo. If it is loose the MAF can't read properly
When the car is cold it uses only the MAF to control fueling, once warm it reads feedback from the lambda thus runs better

If this is the case it shouldnt run properly at higher loads, probably runs way too lean

Atik
21-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Looks like a bung fitted to the pipe from a BOV install.

Fentonvr4
21-06-2011, 12:57 PM
its a hole which just goes straight into the plastic tubing, id imagine it should be bunged up but its not, the hose clip is there though.. im guessing i need to??

Nutter_John
21-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Yep Matt that needs blocking off , looks like the one on there as come out , may be worth seeing if it has been sucked into the pipework nearer the turbo

Fentonvr4
21-06-2011, 01:04 PM
oh god i hope not haha!! i will have a check to see

Davezj
21-06-2011, 01:15 PM
from the picture it looks like the pipe has been hack sawed off and all the little bits of rough flaky rubber are still there, look resent too.

can't tell if the hole os blocked off or open from the pic.

Fentonvr4
21-06-2011, 01:15 PM
no nothing there, but i need to find something to block it off with now

Atik
21-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Where is your BOV fitted?

Fentonvr4
21-06-2011, 01:20 PM
on the intercooler pipe running down next to it which is in the picture the hks ssqv type

Davezj
21-06-2011, 01:36 PM
i think i have an original pipe that fitted there, if i can find it at home tonight you can have it. you can fit the pipe with the jubilee clip in the pic then fold it back on itself to and cable tie in place, this will seal the opening as a temp job then you can look for a perminent bung.
drop me a pm and i will get bak to you tonight, i am playing footbal 6-7 so it will be after that.

Fentonvr4
21-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Iv managed to make a small pipe up out of an old coolant pipe i found and blocked the end off seems to work, thanks for the offer though mate appreciate that, since changing the idle control valve, tightening the clip on the intercooler pipe and blocking the old dump valve off the car is idling better from cold around 1500rpm so seems to have done the trick..

One other issue has arised though.. suddenly the speedo died?? was at 0 while moving and then jumping up and down occasionally and the rev counter..

Humpty's Revenge
21-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Matt take a look at these:-http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=turbo+blanking+plug&_sacat=0&_odkw=turbo+blank&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

But before you buy please check the inside diameter of the pipe as there are 2 different sizes! Failing that use a WD40 lid for quick fix if your pipe is 25mm that is.

Nutter_John
21-06-2011, 03:02 PM
speedo connector is under the TB area , and given the state of the wiring in the car I would think it could be a dodgy connection :)

Fentonvr4
21-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Ahh! Thanks steve thats a good find

Fentonvr4
21-06-2011, 03:05 PM
speedo connector is under the TB area , and given the state of the wiring in the car I would think it could be a dodgy connection :)

haha.. well at least the previous owners home made bodge airbox has gone!!