PDA

View Full Version : Mileage on VR4s

Brunty
30-10-2004, 05:36 PM
I'm going to be looking at an X-reg VR4 with approx. 150,000 miles on the clock in the near future - talking with the owner it appears to have a full Mitsu service history including recent service and cam belt.

What sort of mileages do members cars have on them?

What do you reckon is of greater value on a secondhand VR4 service history or low mileage?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Brind
30-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Many cars nowadays are capable of high mileages providing they've been looked after and serviced regularly and properly. The VR-4 should be no exception as it's built fairly well.

Unfortunately, high mileages put alot of people off still so they sell for a LOT less.

There are a few about with low miles if you want to wait and look around, but it will come down to how much you're prepared to spend.

Mine has around 55,000 miles on the clock and it's a V reg.

nick-f1
30-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately its a Brind says about high mileage, but one point to remember is that the mileage on the car will almost probably be a little less than the odometer reads. That is because it comes into the uk reading kms and when its sva-d they usually put a gizmo on the back of the speedo that tells it to read in mls/mph. So if the present owner has the original paperwork for the car the sva/mot reading will be kms, so you can convert this to miles add to the odometer reading then deduct the original kms to give you the nearer the truth mileage. Unfortunately most jap imports low kms when they are imported so the difference isn't usually that great.

Nick

simpsonm
30-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Brunty

Where is it from?

Not Cleveland, newcastle way is it by chance?

Brunty
30-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys,

simpsonm - it certainly is. Reason I ask is because I'm arranging to looking at three cars this week. One is on a P-reg with low miles, a V-reg with 90k but undisclosed service history and this one.

Do you recognise the car then?

{Edited} I see you're from Leeds - I suspect you do know the the car ;)

Steve

Spirit
31-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Steve, how much is the high mileage one up for ?

zedy1
31-10-2004, 11:09 AM
It On Autotrader For £7k Pete

Spirit
31-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Seems reasonable for the age as long as it's FMSH

simpsonm
31-10-2004, 07:59 PM
If its a x reg trigger mauve saloon, and your buying from a Hairdresser. Then it used to belong to a director of the company I am working for at the moment. You have my word it was serviced at no expense spared. I nearly bought it myself just over 12 months ago. Thought the mileage was a bit high as no-one would put a warranty on it.

How much they asking?

Nick VR4
31-10-2004, 10:16 PM
If its a x reg trigger mauve saloon, and your buying from a Hairdresser. Then it used to belong to a director of the company I am working for at the moment. You have my word it was serviced at no expense spared. I nearly bought it myself just over 12 months ago. Thought the mileage was a bit high as no-one would put a warranty on it.

How much they asking?

Good point there ... Red Zebra warranty will not cover you as the car has over 100k miles
Seems very high mileage ...so that car has has been serviced 33 times :eek:

I would like to see the service book and receipts for that lot ;)

I have a W reg yr 2000 with 51k miles

Brunty
01-11-2004, 10:23 AM
It On Autotrader For £7k Pete

Seem's we're all talking about the same car - I'm told it's got a FMSH, although the service manual ran out of empty pages some time ago!

I'll put my thoughts up once I've had a viewing. In the meantime thanks all for your input.

Steve

PS. Spirit979 - I've sent my membership via PayPal let me know once it's gone through - looking forward to becoming a member proper.

simpsonm
01-11-2004, 01:36 PM
If it's the same car, they only paid £5250 for it.

Brunty
10-11-2004, 12:03 PM
If it's the same car, they only paid £5250 for it.

I didn't fancy paying for someones car, their insurance costs AND the previous years running costs! I don't mind a reasonable haggle but I wasn't prepared to try and haggle over £2k so didn't follow up with a viewing.

Thanks all for your input - I've put a deposit down on a V-reg at similar price with 1/3 of the mileage :-D - the thread is in General Chat.

Cheers

Steve