PDA

View Full Version : Rust rust more rust!!!!

NGULFU
02-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Okay this week I started work on my ICE project and while stripping the car down have come across some rust just in front of where both front seats are. Is this a major or will sanding it back, priming it and painting be enough to get it back to good as new or will it be a major and not worth persuing any further development with this car?

The car is back together now as it is my daily driver .

So have been contemplating on wether or not it is worth continuing with the install in this car or do as I was thinking of and get a newer VR4??

Any advice or opinions will be much appreciated.

The Vee
02-07-2011, 07:46 PM
While these are not the best cars for not rusting, that does sound very unusual. I would be looking to find the cause. It maybe that it has at some time had a leak and long term wet underlay or carpet. That should be fairly easy to repair so long as it hasn't actually penetrated the floor. My bigger worry would be if it's coming up through the floor. This could have been caused by accident damage poorly repaired, parked a long time over long grass etc etc. Is it well undersealed - it may even have a thick coat on it to cover any repairs. Worst case scenario, is it in a straight line from one side of the car to the other? Would be interesting (and usefull) for you and the club to know why it is rusting where it is. Hope it turns out to be a minor problem - keep us informed. One other thing to look for, cant remember, but are there any chassis rails under where it has rusted? maybe blocked drain holes?

NGULFU
02-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks Andrew, I will take a look into it as soon as possible and update my findings, will also attempt to take some pictures for future references. And from memory they are square patches one on each side.

hardarse
03-07-2011, 09:43 PM
you got pictures mate. it could be moisture in the carpets that have caused it. get a screw driver and tap the rusty area to see if the screw driver goes through. if it seems solid the rust is on the surface and can be removed and sealed. if you go through it could be cut out and weld.

NGULFU
10-07-2011, 10:08 AM
UPDATE: Been working 14 hour days 6 days straight has meant no time to work on the car.

but just wanted to share some pics of what I have to put in the car already in the car are 2 soundstream EGA 2220, a pair of 6.5 inch TANG BANDS, and a set of 300watt components.

The Vee
10-07-2011, 11:20 AM
UPDATE: Been working 14 hour days 6 days straight has meant no time to work on the car.

but just wanted to share some pics of what I have to put in the car already in the car are 2 soundstream EGA 2220, a pair of 6.5 inch TANG BANDS, and a set of 300watt components.

Very nice, but I don't see much rust on them /pan ;)

NGULFU
09-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Sorry guys, car has been off the road stuck at the mechanics for 2 plus months...got a refurbed engine dropped in only to run over some kind of bump in the road taking out a huge chunk out of the transmission, so car is back in the garage and not able to strip it to check out the rust....and yes andrew not much rust on the subs or the amp lol

NGULFU
30-12-2011, 09:23 AM
NGULFU is back on the road and now, and having 2 weeks off work will be getting busy in the boot and stripping it back for pics of the rust, but i think it is purely cosmetic and will be sorted after a good sand down and a respray of the whole inside with enamel paint.

will have pics up for critique'n as soon as i figure out how to use my new iphone lol.

TAR
30-12-2011, 11:15 AM
wow, this car's a long time off the road. I bet your very pleased to have it back now.

Pictures are also mandatory!

:happy:

NGULFU
31-12-2011, 07:53 AM
haaard out i was going crazy being taken to work picked up and made to walk around as my family are so reliable lol...as for the car it is stripped back down to bare metal now, going to sound deaden the boot and work my way forward, will chip away at all the factory sound deadening will post pics up shortly as i am a noob with the IPhone

but for now here is the rust which is under the carpet...which more than likely will be replaced, so as per my original post do i need to worry about this or is it cosmetic??

wow, this car's a long time off the road. I bet your very pleased to have it back now.

Pictures are also mandatory!

TAR
31-12-2011, 06:49 PM
I reckon that can be cleaned up OK. Looks as if there has been some moisture sitting under the carpet for a long while.

NGULFU
01-01-2012, 04:11 AM
That is a relief...I will be replacing the carpet after I have sanded down the rust and primered it up for spraying...is there any paint recommendations I should use which anyone has had experience with??

Also sound deadening, is it worth sound deadening the whole car (doors included) or just do the boot and doors, as my system will consist of 2 12s, 3 amps, 2 6.5 subs in parcel tray and 2 sets of components in the front doors...any help or suggestions would be much appreciated??

Also will be doing a write up of the build once I figure how to upload all the pics taken so far...cheers in advance for the help.

I reckon that can be cleaned up OK. Looks as if there has been some moisture sitting under the carpet for a long while

wintertidenz
01-01-2012, 10:30 AM
That rust isn't bad at all, mine is much worse in the passengers footwell.

After the rust killer just get some of the touch up aerosol cans from Super Cheap or an automotive paint store. The carpet should be OK to reuse unless it's stuffed.

I would sound deaden the boot, boot floor and outside 'skin' of the boot, plus the doors. Probably a good idea to do the parcel tray as well. Dynamat is good stuff but expensive, there was some other stuff on TradeMe a while back that was cheaper. It's basically a bitumen flashing for housing. Similar to this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/amplifiers/4-channel/auction-435384736.htm

In regards to the 6.5" subs, make sure they are designed for infinite baffle otherwise you may run into problems.

Nick Mann
01-01-2012, 11:36 AM
I am planning on doing some sound deadening to my car. Boot and doors are definites, but I am planning on doing the wheel arches and parts of the floor as best as I can too, to see if that will reduce the road noise a bit.

adamvortex
02-01-2012, 09:42 PM
dont buy dynamat its a total rip off!! dan is right you can find cheaper elsewhere, i read an article about sound deadening and one guy bought a massive roll from a builders merchant for about the same price of a small square of dynamat,as it is the same stuff (roofing material)

let us know the verdict nick, galants/leggies do seem to have a bad road noise problem

swinks
02-01-2012, 10:28 PM
That's then for you Nick...
Doors:

Wheel arches:

Nick Mann
02-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Wow, Tomasz! Is that yours? Did it make a lot of difference? That looks like further than I was going to go.

swinks
03-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Not mine, my mate did full deadening just recently, so seeing your post made me smile.

ILLEGAL
03-01-2012, 10:29 AM
^^ thats sooo friggin funny!!!