PDA

View Full Version : Door/window frame fade = DIY Spray Job.

BraindG
04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
I have some fade issue with my door/window frame on both sides of the car, its turning white :( - This weekend I decided to finally do something about it, after several (10ish) light coats of black spray paint (from a can) its looking very good, no runs and no defects.

I do however have a question, what's the best method of finishing the job? - apply t-cut to make it smoother/even? Apply a layer of lacquer?

Cheers.

Ghost_2008
04-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Spray a clear top coat, leave to dry for 24 hours and use a cutting compound to buff it to a high shine. Although the door frames are matte finish so you may want to try and buy a matte finish clear coat......

Davezj
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I have some fade issue with my door/window frame on both sides of the car, its turning white :( - This weekend I decided to finally do something about it, after several (10ish) light coats of black spray paint (from a can) its looking very good, no runs and no defects.

I do however have a question, what's the best method of finishing the job? - apply t-cut to make it smoother/even? Apply a layer of lacquer?

Cheers.

I am having exactly the same issue as you barry and i have considered doing the same, but a kitchen and bathroom refit forces me to leave me car alone for the next few months.

I would not t-cut the paint before the laquor goes on as you will not get rid of all the t-cut and the laquor going over the top of the t-cut will probably turn out very bad, do as ghosty says, laquor it and then flat it off. or i have found just giving the paint a light rub over with some good quality kitchen roll (the stuff that does not break up in water) and this flattens and removes all the bobles and paint fibres so the laquor goes on really smooth.
Matt laquor would be a nice touch if you can get some.

Humpty's Revenge
04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
They are not a mat finish.

BraindG
04-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Would it be possible for someone to share a pic, perhaps close up?

Humpty's Revenge
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Would it be possible for someone to share a pic, perhaps close up?

Doing it now bud.

Humpty's Revenge
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
The 1st 2 are from the mauve one which was dull & had been t-cut which is the original paint.

The next 2 are from my white one which has been resprayed

The last one is from the red one untouched in any way which does look mat but t-cut it & they will come up gloss.

Hope this helps Barry?

Wobble
04-07-2011, 06:18 PM
didnt want to spray mine so wrapped them in matt black .which gave a very good result. just a thought

Ghost_2008
04-07-2011, 08:23 PM
The factory finish on mine is far from shiney, it might come up shiney if I t-cut it but I'm not sure it meant to be...... each to their own.....

BraindG
04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for taking the time to take the photos Steve, it deffo helps! - Seems it can go either way doesnt it, matt/shiney hmmm. Wonder what its supposed to be?

WOODY72
04-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I think it's supposed to be a satin finish.

eyeballprawn
05-07-2011, 04:23 AM
Fairly glossy on the B pillar from factory as in the below pic, but satin might do. Whatever you use, make sure it's UV stable.

Watch out on the wagons, the C pillar and attached rear window trim is actually rubber and should be left as-is.

Chris.W
05-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Ijust did mine with a few coats of high build primer quick rub with some 800 grade and then a few coats of satin black. Not come up the shineyest of finishes but think it sits well against the silver paint.
Would suggest if you gona clear coat it that you flat it back with some 800 - 1000 grade wet and dry.
However would also like to point out that generally applying clear coat makes things shiny. Mat finish dosnt have clear coat in my experiance.

exevoowner
09-07-2011, 01:20 PM
wot bout doin some carbon jobbies like the evo's had might try and find the guy who made them up and see wot he's doing lol

funkstardelux
15-07-2011, 11:33 AM
had mine done by mitso dealer, think i payed £70..for one side as other done via insurance as muppet drove into me. but makes the car def look soo much better