PDA

View Full Version : cold air airbox

SteveH
04-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I've got a HKS shroom fitted to my VR4 Leggie which was on there when i bought the car. The Shroom is where the battery would normally be so its out of the way a bit. 2 things that come to mind looking at it are 1. theres no way thats a decent position for air flow and 2. these engine produce a fair bit of heat and even though the shroom is out of the way its still hot air around there.

So my thinking is that i should build some sort of cold air box around the filter and run some ducting up from a largish gap next to my aftermarket intercooler. Has anyone tried this before with a HKS shroomie??

It just so happens that i have a dead Dyson cyclone vacuum cleaner lying around and the cylinder fits nicely over the shroom housing and fits in the battery space. I would just need to cut the pointy end off to fix some ducting too. The ducting brings up some more thoughts though....where would the optimal airflow be at the front of the car? low down near the lip of the front spoiler or up high around the grill?

Shockingly basic sketch:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/shaolin_monkey/CAIsketch.jpg

Or am i wasting my time?

SteveH
04-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I just found some threads from people who have done similar. seems that a fully sealed unit might be a bad idea in "sunny" england lol.

SteveH
04-07-2011, 01:04 PM
added bad sketch to first post.

orionn2o
04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Why has it been shown up as a bad idea?

There are other ways to shield it, build a square box around where the battery layout is

SteveH
04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
i'll dig the thread out, but it was to do with rain water getting in. Although i never had a problem with rainwater getting into my zx7rr's ram air box.

Davezj
04-07-2011, 01:41 PM
i second matt coments, i can't see anything wrong with your propsed cold air box using thwe dyson tube. again i second matts coment that there are otherways to do a cold air box and many have done that. just make sure you have a long tube inbetween the filter and the MAF sensor, the mushroom filter can cause dodgey MAF reading if it is directly bolted up to the front of the MAF, it disrupts the air floww too much through the MAF.

personally i would stick with the standard air induction, but you obviously don't have that option as you bought the car with mushroom pod on it already.
you could put a wanted add out there for a standard air box they go for about £20-£40 it is much less hassle and is tried and tested.

SteveH
04-07-2011, 01:45 PM
yeah, i was thinking of maybe buying a standard airbox.....but wheres the fun in that lol. Plus i just bought a new HKS filter to replace my baby mattress one.

crazyken76
04-07-2011, 07:50 PM
stick to the normal one much better plus i have a funny feeling there will be some carbon snorkles getting made son :)