PDA

View Full Version : Anyone owned an ST200 ?

chrisvr4
04-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Evening ladies & gent :D

As the title states has anyone on here owned the above car ?

Im on the look out for a cheap car just to get me back n forth and this caught my eye http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201126394282525/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/2000/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/price-from/1000/model/mondeo/make/ford/postcode/ng58fz/radius/100/keywords/2.5/page/2?logcode=p

Actually im thinking about going to view it tomorrow.

Anything i should look out for? I believe these have timing chains not belts so id imagine theres no worries there.

Any helpo would be appreciated :)

cheers

crazyken76
04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
not bad better than the mg,s

chrisvr4
04-07-2011, 07:59 PM
How can you say that lol ?

The mg i had was spot on, only thing i had to spend money on was a cambelt, tyres, service etc etc general ware stuff.

Some vr4's have problems and that dont make them a bad car :)

You had a ZS i believe. do try the daddy of the lot..... a ZT /yes ! :D

WOODY72
04-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Looks clean and tidy Chris, go for it if all sounds well.

crazyken76
04-07-2011, 08:22 PM
i had 2 mgf,s and a zr . o and didnt you have to buy a fuel pump for it :)

Humpty's Revenge
04-07-2011, 08:40 PM
You must check to see if it's had it's water pump replaced & if it has it must of been with a pump with a metal impeller as the original ones came with a plastic one which wears badly & will not spin properly once your over 1800 revs causing over heating & major damage.

Spark plugs must be changed regular because it will feel like it has a short & miss on a regular basis.

Check all brakes as they can suffer with problems. Also high clutch peddle can lead to clutch judder. Heater motor, if it only works on the max setting then the resistor has blown.

There are other tiny problems but the water pump is a must check mate.

chrisvr4
04-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Oh yeah i forgot a fuel pump lol but that was covered under warranty /yes and tbh i dont think it needed replacing. The guy made a quick buck :D

i had 2 mgf,s and a zr . o and didnt you have to buy a fuel pump for it :)

chrisvr4
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for that steve ;)

I will give it a good going over and make sure the service book is upto date :)

Cheers mate

You must check to see if it's had it's water pump replaced & if it has it must of been with a pump with a metal impeller as the original ones came with a plastic one which wears badly & will not spin properly once your over 1800 revs causing over heating & major damage.

Spark plugs must be changed regular because it will feel like it has a short & miss on a regular basis.

Check all brakes as they can suffer with problems. Also high clutch peddle can lead to clutch judder. Heater motor, if it only works on the max setting then the resistor has blown.

There are other tiny problems but the water pump is a must check mate.

pezza
04-07-2011, 11:32 PM
They are meant to be pretty decent but still a bit on the thirsty side in and around town. low 30s on a run tho. the decatted v6 sound sweet and push out just over 200I thinkin

Subaru ETA
04-07-2011, 11:52 PM
They also go through fuel pumps spare if it has had it replaced. They also go through leads for some reason.

Make sure you always have at least 2 keys for it - 3 is best otherwise if you loose a key it is an expensive ball ache to sort it out (you will need to program 3 keys)

zanzibar
05-07-2011, 05:45 AM
for that sort of money you could get one of these http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2821189.htm in my opinion its a much better car than the mondeo, quicker,more reliable,and drinks less fuel,also cheaper to insure.

psbarham
05-07-2011, 08:47 AM
for that sort of money you could get one of these http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2821189.htm in my opinion its a much better car than the mondeo, quicker,more reliable,and drinks less fuel,also cheaper to insure.

yes, but its a vauxhall so chris would have to factor in the costs of paper bags so no one can tell if its him. /lol

chrisvr4
05-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Lmao paul :D ive had a vectra all be it a 2L sri and found the seats to be very hard and i suffer with back ache and driving that to wales would kill me.

ive heard that the gsi models have ally heads and crack?

I dont care about fuel or insurance costs as im used to having v6 cars /yes

im just looking for a cheap motor hence why i fancy that St ;)

Thanks for the coments guys :)

Edit: keys are not a problem as i know a guy who ownes his own business supplying and programing them :)

zanzibar
08-07-2011, 04:26 PM
i have had two vectra gsi and never had any problem with the engines, the cylinder heads are cast aluminium alloy and the block is cast iron.
the seat in these cars as standard are recaros which i believe are very comfy .

i thought about getting a st when i was younger but was glad i brought a gsi instead, even though it is a vauxhall its 100 times better than the ford.

Wobble
08-07-2011, 07:24 PM
had a sri 2.2 and what a pile of ****e that was . never again will i own or drive or even get in a vauxhall again.best thing i ever done was to drive it into the back of a mondeo at 5 miles an hour wrighting it off.

my brother works for vauxhall and he wont even own one .

zanzibar
08-07-2011, 08:12 PM
the gsi vectra is completly different from the sri, its like comparing a vr4 to a normal galant v6.
all i am saying is try drive both gsi and st and i guarantee you would choose the vectra everytime even though its a vauxhall its still better then the ford.

Wobble
08-07-2011, 08:23 PM
the gsi vectra is completly different from the sri, its like comparing a vr4 to a normal galant v6.

dont agree im afraid , the gsi and sri power to weight ratio are very similar due to the heavier v6. and the v6 is thirstier aswell. v6 to vr4 is a huge difference in overall performance

aboo
08-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Have to agree with Dave the Vectra's are poor. I test drove a GSI a few years ago when they were new & didn't like it. The driving position is terrible as well.

Pedals are of at an angle so your not sitting straight in the seat.

zanzibar
08-07-2011, 10:12 PM
the 2.2 sri vectras are 145bhp and wiegh 1425kg standard whilst the gsi is 200bhp and weighs 1379 kg standard, as you can see the 2.2 is actually heavier than the gsi and down by 50 bhp and in cars like these 50bhp is a HUGE difference. the 2.2 doesnt even come close to the v6. at the end of the day people have there own opinions on cars some like some dont like.
there are people out there who think vr4s are poor but most on here think there fantastic as do i.

Wobble
08-07-2011, 10:29 PM
my opinion is there cr@p

here (http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=19699)is the gsi stats
here (http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=19720)is the sri stats

as per parkers

zanzibar
08-07-2011, 10:43 PM
try http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=18270 for the 2.5 v6 gsi
you cant just say somthing is crap when you have never owned a gsi why not just say not my cup of tea etc etc

CARMEL120
08-07-2011, 11:16 PM
gsi for me as good car had one from new 30mpg never let me down also had a v6 mondeo fix or repair daily = ford

Wobble
09-07-2011, 08:58 AM
have driven gsi's and was not my cup of tea as they are cr@p. have owned an sri and that also was not my cup of tea as that was cr@p. have driven mondeo st which i thought was better.

dont take insult to an opinion i have about my experiences i have had over one of the dullest cars i have driven.

psbarham
09-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I have driven hundereds of different makes of cars over the years and i have never driven a good vauxhall. christ when i ran the workshop we had a fleet of 150+ cars and vans, and people would rather take a bum basic transit or c15 van than the top spec cav tdi we had, and considering how few miles it did, it spent an awful lot of time in the workshop. The company i work for at the moment has a fleet of around 3000 cars and vans, and 85% of them are luton ****boxes as the workshop calls them. they hate them with a passion, they are too unreliable, and a twat to work on.

crazyken76
09-07-2011, 11:22 AM
for that sort of money you could get your self another vr4 there is some cheap ones out there :)

zanzibar
09-07-2011, 03:18 PM
without doubt the best v6 non turbo engined car i have ever driven is a corrado vr6 http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2808928.htm .
and there still going strong in price you wouldnt lose much if brought one and sold after some time.

chrisvr4
09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Well I missed out on the mondeo lol Ive been bad all week so phoned the Guy at 1 o clock to go and view it today and there was someone there just putting a deposit on it :(

I've had a Sri vectra and a st24 mondeo in the past and in my own opinion the St beats it in every way! But each to their own ;)

That carrado looks nice and they do sound gorgeous its just not my type of car :(

The hunt for another St200 that's not to far away continues /yes

Beastlee
09-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Can I suggest a SAAB as an alternative? Something like this is a great cruiser, uber comfy and you can easily get 30+mpg from it. bargain at £495, at 100kmiles they've only just beedded in. If I could get a 9000 Aero in 4WD I'd have another in a heartbeat.

Edit: In fact, I just found this little gem, i', tempted myself!
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2727931.htm

chrisvr4
09-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Ive had a saab in the past, infact this one i sold http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?45017-FS-2002-Saab-9-5-HOT-Aero-Notts-***-SOLD!-***&highlight=

Agree very nice cars but wouldn't have another though :D

Beastlee
09-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd get another wife if she'd drive an ST220 over a SAAB LOL

chrisvr4
09-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Lmao you mean a ST200 :p

Dont get me wrong them hot aero's are superb cars, 250 bhp very smooth drive, a great car just wasn't for me ;)