PDA

View Full Version : Whats that grinding sound? Help!

scc
31-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Hi,

My 98 gls has on regular occasions a horrible grinding sound whenever I turn the wheel at park maneouvre speeds. It vibrates the cabin with a growl, and the steering feels like it is slipping.

I thought the recall to replace both ball joints would resolve the problem, but no. The boys at Mitsu have 'difficulty' to reproduce the problem, so I'm on my own....

Anyone have ideas what this might be?

Cheers,
Scc.

Big Ian
31-10-2004, 07:13 PM
strange one!!
what condition is your power steering belt in or maybe slack?
check the bolt's are tight on the P/steer pump and the level of steering fluid?
check all the pulley wheel's for any movement?

chris g
31-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Worn brake pad warning?

Roadrunner
31-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Anyone have ideas what this might be?
I'd have the CV joints checked first (and soon!). If one or both are on the way out, they'd exhibit the symptoms you describe.

Brian

Kieran
31-10-2004, 09:48 PM
On mornings when the weather was hot and muggy, my GLS used to do a similar thing - but only when I first started it, and within about 30 seconds, the problem dissappeared!

The symptoms where the power steering pump making noises like it was 'labouring' even though it wasn't at full lock, and the steering would 'pulse' as you turned the wheel. It felt like someone was repeatedly the power steering pump on and off.

We worked out eventually that it was a combination of condensation on the power steering belt, and a slightly under-tensioned belt - so when the belt was wet, it slipped briefly, untill the condensation was scrubbed off.

So I would do as Ian suggests, then check your CVs.

scc
01-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out all that was mentioned here.

:)

calum
01-11-2004, 08:09 PM
have you got enough fluid in the power steering?

Jimbo
01-11-2004, 10:33 PM

My thoughts precisely. My old V6 made this exact noise once when I was on full lock pulling out of the drive one morning. Close inspection revealed the power sterring fluid reservoir to be damn near empty!

Turns out I had a leak. Mitsi fixed it under warranty, but I had to keep it topped it up with ATF until my booking came around.

scc
02-11-2004, 02:38 AM

At times I've seen it empty and at times I've seen it full!??!

The guys at Mitsu said that this is normal, and it is only a top up reservoir.....

Kieran
02-11-2004, 08:25 AM

The guys at Mitsu said that this is normal, and it is only a top up reservoir.....

Erm..... That's not right!!! :rolleyes5 Both my galants have been full - I'm sure the power steering system doesn't suffer from fluid surges like that?..... :undecided

Physician
02-11-2004, 08:42 AM

Then Mitsy are talking bull**** :sad3:

Polabear
02-11-2004, 06:31 PM

Sorry mate but that is absolute carp....... :rolleyes5

calum
02-11-2004, 07:21 PM
put some fluid in.

Kieran
02-11-2004, 08:35 PM
put some fluid in.

Absolutley! And then get your system checked out for leaks if the level drops again!