PDA

View Full Version : Clunk in rear passenger suspension when cornering.

kiteman
10-07-2011, 05:00 PM
After spending some time getting my car ready for august in UK, I got an hours tracktime this morning, and put it through it paces.
My local track is in clockwise configuration with lots of 90 degree turns and a few U turns.
Each time I turned right, I got a positive clunk from the passenger rear. Like as if I had heavy metal in the wheel well. On the few left turns I got no clunking whats so ever.
The only change I made recently was to replace the exhaust pipe from the cat to the tailpipe, and on inspection everything is good in that area.
I removed the back wheel and inspected all the suspension links, without any luck.
Anyone like to give me an idea what Should have checked further.
All comments and advices will be appreciated.
Tommie

Wodjno
10-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Is more with a violent change of direction ? If so, it could still possibly be your new exhaust knocking on something. Maybe the hangers are slightly different or the hanger rubbers are soft allowing it to swing more when changing direction. Check along the length of the new zorst for and marks or scuffs where it might have hitting anywhere(driveshaft maybe?)

Wodj

kiteman
10-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Is more with a violent change of direction ? If so, it could still possibly be your new exhaust knocking on something. Maybe the hangers are slightly different or the hanger rubbers are soft allowing it to swing more when changing direction. Check along the length of the new zorst for and marks or scuffs where it might have hitting anywhere(driveshaft maybe?)

Wodj

Thanks Glenn, but I gave the exhaust a thorough visual checking.Then went about pushing the back box hard to one side with my foot and releasing it quickly. It makes a thinny sound as the bracket holding the 2 rubber donuts at the backbox hits of the under floor. Tried this in both directions, it only makes a sound in one direction.
I took a few passengers out to listen and compare the 2 sounds and each agreed the were completely different.
On the track sound is a positive clunk, compared to thinny twang from the exhaust.
Thanks for your imput just the same.
Tommie

kiteman
10-07-2011, 09:02 PM
:bump2::bump2::bump2:

hardarse
10-07-2011, 09:23 PM
all nuts on wheels tight. are all shockers on tight. any suspension bushes on the way out. are your sway bars all tight. thought i would mention all these cause i have banging and knocking from all these parts over the time of having my car.

kiteman
10-07-2011, 11:16 PM
all nuts on wheels tight. are all shockers on tight. any suspension bushes on the way out. are your sway bars all tight. thought i would mention all these cause i have banging and knocking from all these parts over the time of having my car.

Thanks Keith, I tried all the items you listed, without any luck. Seems I'm going to have to get the car to my local mitsu garage.

apeman69
11-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Something loose in the spare wheel well hitting bodywork on one turn and tyre on other turn.... I've had this :)

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyFingers :)

Oops... I gotta start re-reading threads and stop using this cr@patalk :(

mike74
11-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Its possibly the rear tie bar bushes that are shot...ours makes a similar noise but not too loud...yet! :(

Kenneth
14-07-2011, 01:30 AM
I had an interesting "clunking" issue with my exhaust when I first fitted it. One of the hangers was a little bent and it was pulling the exhaust slightly towards the centre of the car.

Aside from the occasional tinny knock as the poorly placed V-Band coupler hit on the rear sub frame (oops :P) there was another issue which made me think I had damaged something.

when the exhaust swung to the left, one of the hangers got close enough to the drive shaft to contact. The drive shaft gripped the hanger and then deformed it until some point where the pressure got so much the hanger basically popped back out with what sounded like a bang.

I spent a lot of time playing with the diff and in the end it was only by accident I was looking along the drive shaft and saw where there was evidence of rubbing on the actual drive shaft. It wasn't at the back of the car, but that is where it sounded like it was coming from.
Quickly fixed by removing that hanger :P

If you are getting a consistent noise which sounds like metal on metal, regardless of what it actually is, there should be some marking happening somewhere.
The only other thing I can think of is that you are getting binding in the suspension somewhere. Could be in the joints, or perhaps in the swap bar links. Or potentially your CV joints, perhaps one is binding as it gets to a certain alignment.

kiteman
14-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks for your imput guys. The car went to my local mecanic who put it up a 2 poster lift, to have a good look at whats causing it.
I hope to have the result sometime today.

Nick Mann
14-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Sorry, Tommie, missed this the first time round. I have had a similar experience when the track rod bush on the inner end deteriorated. The one with the offset bolt through it that adjusts the rear tracking.

kiteman
16-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Damn it, despite most of you saying its most likely the exhaust, and me being convinced it was'nt, I have to hold my hands up and say sorry, but looks like you were right.
A friend of mine got under the car today, and being a big strong b@st@rd he swung out of the the exhaust and managed to get it to knock against rear transmission, making a clunk similar to what I was hearing.
Thanks again guys.
Tommie