PDA

View Full Version : steering knock, near side drone

SteveH
12-07-2011, 03:33 PM
I have a knock coming from the front of the car. It dosen't do it at speed, just parking, manuevering etc. It dosen't knock going over bumps. It knocks when turning the steering from lock to lock, waggling the steering wheel wont do it.

The steering is nice and light and it centres after cornering. I changed a knackered track rod end this weekend thinking that was the problem but alas i still have the knock, However i did notice that the inner cv joint gator was split. Could this be the cause??

Which brings me on to this droning noise i'm getting from the same side the knock appears to be coming from, I was thinking that it was a shabby wheel bearing but now i'm thinking that i have a knackered cv joint as the drone seems to be more of a pulsing drone.

Anyone have any clue what the problem is?

I'll give the wheels a good waggle at the weekend to check for play.

SteveH
17-07-2011, 05:31 PM
I jacked the car up today to check for play at the wheels and i've got no play at either axis, and all the suspension parts seem ok.

So i got my wife to give the steering full lock in both directions with the bonnet up so i can have a good listen, but it wont knock with the car at standstill. so i got her to do some small manuevers turning the steering from lock to lock while i stood in front of the car. Doing this caused the knocky heavy click sound which seemed to be coming from the middle of the front of the car. Does the steering rack have inner tie rod ends? or could this be the knackered cv joint?

Nick Mann
17-07-2011, 10:03 PM
The CV joint shouldn't be knocking from steering movement. Does the knocking continue if you carry on steering at the same hard angle? There are tie rod ends at the end of the rack, although if these are going you should feel a very small amount of free play when waggling the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock position. I also think that having the car jacked can mask the free play in that joint - not much play at all can make a huge difference in the handling and tyre wear. Infact, tyre wear on the inside edge of the fronts is almost always attributable to the rack ends, assuming you do have the cars tracking done occaisonally.

Fundamentally, the noises you are describing don't immediately say inner CV joint to me - although with a split boot I would be suspicious and certainly replacing asap, inspecting it at the same time.

One more thought - have you tried moving wheels round? The pulsing thrum could be as simple as funny wear on one tyres tread.

SteveH
18-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Inside edges are worn actually and i did think it might be tyre noise as it changes depending on the road surface.

As for the knock, its one clunk turning the wheel one way then it will clunk again on the way back....if you get what i mean? Should i be feeling for 3 and 9 play with the car on the deck??

Nick Mann
18-07-2011, 10:44 AM
With the car on the deck you won't feel a thing, as the friction between the ground and the tyre will stop the movement. Up in the air is the easiest way for the DIYer but just very tricky to actually feel the movement. The best way is to release the track rod end from the hub carrier and then you should have enough movement on the tie rod to get it to it's normal working angle and pull and push it.

The clunk still doesn't sound like a CV joint - more like a ball joint or collapsed bushing. It's very tricky to diagnose a noise even if you can hear it, so I'd still recommend you get the CV joint checked, regreased and rebooted.