PDA

View Full Version : gauge wires

Billy_b
16-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi i just got set of gauges oil press,oil temp,boost off my mate .On the oil ones they have a red and black wire coming from it. I no what they are , But oil temp has a blue wire and the oil pressure has a green one ,Where abouts do they go to in the engine bay ???

Nick Mann
16-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Presumably to sensors. Usually gauges come with sensors to plug them in to.

sabreuk
16-07-2011, 04:35 PM
post some pics of the gauges and sensors might help how to wire them up, if there the plasma dials then you might have an issue with them. the oil pressure one with the green wire would go to the oil sender, might/might not work on the original oil sender though. blue wire would go to the the temp sender sensor you might need an extra coupler and sensor for that to work but thats where the blue wire goes

Billy_b
17-07-2011, 05:19 PM
I will get pic tomorrow an just looked on ebay at gauges for legnum they come with 1/8npt sensor only thing i aint got for them is that what i need ??

Billy_b
17-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I take pics of where the wires went to on the scooby they look like the bits on ebay i need or could some noe put pic up what i need cheers

Billy_b
17-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Just been doing a search on the site i see i need a sandwich plate as well

Nick Mann
17-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Mostly, you would buy sensors with oil gauges. Then as you have worked out, you'd fit a sandwich plate between the oil filter and filter housing, mount the sensors in that, then run the signal cables back to your gauges.

I don't know much about different gauges, but even if I did, you haven't said what make they are or a model number. If you got them from your mate, hasn't he got the sensors that go with them?

Billy_b
18-07-2011, 12:01 AM
His brakin the scooby i go there tomorrow an get the bit what the wires went to then post pic up of them

I get the make of them tomorrow when back at mine with pics

I remove them from the car thinkin did not need them due to all new to these newbie lol

Billy_b
18-07-2011, 08:35 PM
i got the rest today here pics as well make of gauge phantom

green wire go to oil pres

blue to oil temp

sabreuk
18-07-2011, 09:47 PM
The peg type sensor is for temperature (blue wire) and the cylinder sensor is oil sender mate for oil pressure gauge (green wire) looks like the oil pressure sender has a jubilee clamp around it for a direct earth to chassis or battery negative also you can see the green wire on the screw clamp at the end of it to attach to the gauge wire. The temp sensor doesn't look correct there should be an earth and live wire coming off it unless it earths through the it's fitting either way the blue wire should attach to the end of the sensor by screwing down the top nut. just one other thing measure the size of the fittings to make sure you buy the correct sandwhich plate as there is different sizes in fittings with sensors etc just to save disapointment vy ordering the incorrect plate.

Billy_b
18-07-2011, 10:09 PM
cheers on the oil temp all that went to it was the blue wire no earth wire does it need one then the the gauges have a live an earth the back them or do i still need to earth the temp an there both the same size fred about half inc that sound right an was going get the plate from R spec

or could it earth its self cause it was in the block ??

sabreuk
18-07-2011, 10:17 PM
sounds like the temp sensor earths through the threads bud if there wasnt one fitted so the blue wire will be a - supply to complete the circuit. you will find the other wire black and red are for the gauge illumination ie it lights up. doesnt realy matter where you get the adapter plate so long as it fits all the threads on the oil filter and sensors.

Billy_b
18-07-2011, 10:55 PM
just found the instructional on there site here: http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2618&sid=7

iv just seen iv got a vac an boost gauge do i still run this of the lil pipe below the brake servo like in this topic below

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?40956-Question-re-installing-boost-gauge&highlight=fitting+boost+gauge

Billy_b
18-07-2011, 10:57 PM
an they do earth there selfs will they earth in the plate or will i need to run wires to them ??

sabreuk
18-07-2011, 11:42 PM
for your boost gauge mate the best place to t piece it in is on the back of the plenum there is 2 pipes one goes to brake master cylinder and a smaller one which goes to the bov (dumpvalve) its the pipe as your looking at it on the left t piece in there for the boost gauge its the 2nd pic in the thread you attached above. for the vac gauge you need to find a sucky pipe instead of a blowy pipe if that makes sense. the sensors should earth in the sandwhich plate, the oil presssure sender has the jubilee clip to earth it as it earths through the threads and sometimes dont get earth correctly hence the need for the jubilee clip and extre wire. you shouldnt need that for the temp sender though

Billy_b
19-07-2011, 12:07 AM
ok mate big thanks for the help an my gauge has vac on it an boost here link for it http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2653&sid=7

or they all like that

sabreuk
19-07-2011, 12:16 AM
yeah the vac presure is when your not accelerating or if your in an auto you take your foot off the go pedal and the loss off boost turns to vacuum so the needle goes down in to the vac side, when your accerlating and boosting the suction turns to positive pressure ie blowing and then goes up past 0, anything past 0 is boost pressure anything below is negative vacuum pressure. you only need to one vac line for the boost gauge though and thats in the above post. i thought you ment you had a vac gauge and boost gauge lol

Billy_b
19-07-2011, 12:22 AM
cheer my bad i did my make it sound like i had two gauges soz

sabreuk
19-07-2011, 12:38 AM
its ok bud no probs lol