PDA

View Full Version : OMG ! What a CRASH !

Spirit
03-11-2004, 01:23 AM
This is one insane crash - note: the Porsche crash at the beginning is not the insane bit :

CLICKY HERE ! (http://www.aznkid.com/insanecrash.mpg)

....and then the aftermath:

HE'S ALIVE ! (http://members.roadfly.org/dakar2m/aftermath2.mpeg)

Physician
03-11-2004, 02:09 AM
Heh! Was just looking at those vids 5 mins ago ......... sobering aren't they? :sad3:

Wonder where it is as I'm not impressed with the marshals and lack of medicare.

Kieran
03-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Good Grief!!!

Judging by the headgear and the commentary in the 1st video, it looks like a Japanese-ish circuit?

Physician
03-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Good Grief!!!

Judging by the headgear and the commentary in the 1st video, it looks like a Japanese-ish circuit?

Yes, that was my initial thought (Japan) but I went through it carefully and there is no Japanese writing to be seen anywhere (ads, emergency vehicles etc) - which seems odd. But ONE official/marshall does look Japanese but the commentary could be a voice over by some Japanese News Channel describing a crash in, for instance, Italy.

I can't put my finger on it but there's something surreal about the second video ........ you don't ACTUALLY see the driver being removed from the car ..... he is left alone after a marshall removes his safety neck brace ...... another tries to help him stand when he should be left on the ground ....... all a bit odd :dozey:

Physician
03-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Good Grief!!!

Ah! Here's some more info: (quote)

In spite of bad weather, 47,500 race fans (organizer announcement) braved the rain for the second round of the 1998 All-Japan Grand Touring Car Championship at Fuji Speedway.

Just as the Pace Car entered its second lap at the start of the 67-lap race, the No.71 and No.910 PORSCHEs crashed on the main straight near the pit lane exit, causing a major accident on the track. The No.27 FERRARI burst into flames, and the red flag was shown to stop the race. After removing the stopped cars from the tracked, the remainder of the field returned to the starting grid for a shortened race of 51 laps. But as the starting procedure carried on, a dense fog bank rolled in over the circuit. The organizer waited for some time for the weather to turn good, but the fog had settled in with no appearance of clearing off. At 17:00, the organizer officially announced the cancellation of the race.

Tetsuya Ohta, the FERRARI driver, was burned heavily and moved to the hospital in Gotemba City. Tomohiko Sunako, driver of the No.910 PORSCHE, fractured his right leg.

AND:

On May 3, 1998 Japanese racing star Tetsuya Ota was involved in a chain reaction collision during a GT championship race. Ota was trapped in his car for more than 50 seconds while exposed to 800-degree temperatures. There was no safety crew coming to the rescue as fellow drivers frantically extinguished the flames. The result ended with serious burns to Ota and a lawsuit against track promoters and sponsors. Agreed upon event requirements called for safety crews to rescue a driver and extinguish any fire within 30 seconds or less. Ota signed papers claiming he would not seek damages from event organizers as is typical in some venue use agreements. In a District Court ruling, the hold harmless paperwork was thrown out and Ota was awarded 90 million ($809,352) Yen. Changes in the sport now include a “doctor car” and some fire engines standing by for such an emergency. The court also ruled that Ota could have slowed his vehicle quicker thus a reduction from the originally requested 300 million ($2,697,841) Yen. Some suggest that if it were not for TV coverage of the fire, Ota could not have proved his case of the 50 second time lapse. TV Tokyo Corp. was held partially responsible in the case.

Nick Mann
03-11-2004, 02:19 PM
The first link doesn't work for me?

Also more info on Tetsuya Ota here (http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/archive/200310/29/20031029p2a00m0fp019000c.html).

BraindG
04-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Try this link (http://destampertjes.net/weblog/ivo/insanecrash.mpeg)

Polabear
04-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Did the guy in the flamer survive.? and where the hell were the fire crews... :sad3: that has to be one of the worst race crashes I have ever seen.

Nick Mann
04-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Thanks, Barry. That worked.

Sean, not being funny, but did you read the rest of the thread?! :p

Jimbo
04-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Oh boy.......that's sickening.

Absolute miracle the guy survived at all.