PDA

View Full Version : Central locking problem

VR457
24-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi guys,

I was rewiring the gauges to the clock wiring when i managed to short the wires. Now the central locking won't work. Checked the fuse, which seemed fine, changed it but no joy.

To make matters worse, the gauges (voltmeter, oil temp, boost) don't work nor light up.

What's going on? It was only meant to be a quick five minutes!

ANTHONY
24-07-2011, 09:34 PM
them quick five minute jobs are always the best

horndog
24-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Have you checked the underbonnet fuses as well as the ones under the dash?

I did a similar thing when changing the head unit,

VR457
24-07-2011, 11:30 PM
First thing tomorrow i will check it out! Btw how the hell do you remove the fuses? There should be a removal tool somewhere?

Colin Wiltshire
25-07-2011, 05:12 PM
needle nose pliers

VR457
25-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Most of the problems sorted!!! Blew three fuses, bloody awkward to get at them too!

Thanks for the help guys. Five minutes indeed.....

horndog
25-07-2011, 05:53 PM
There should be a removal tool somewhere?

Mine is on the back of the pocket which covers the fuses,

foxdie
30-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Mind if I jack this?

My central lockings gone, except everything else is working fine. I have a Toad Ai606 that's anti-jacking feature locks the doors automatically when I start the car, I tried holding down "unlock" to stop it from locking (this has worked many times in the past) but now it's somehow killed the central locking.

The alarm is still working perfectly, I can arm and disarm it fine, it sets off when the doors open etc, it just won't lock / unlock the doors, nor will the button on the drivers door, nor will simply manually locking / unlocking the door (it'd lock / unlock the other doors at the same time), nor will the key in the door, nor pressing the button on the key (yep, I still have that too).

I haven't checked any fuses yet, namely because everything else works as it should, but I'll check them tomorrow regardless. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced these symptoms as it happened once to me before on my previous VR-4 but sorted itself out after a couple of minutes of faffing with buttons and fobs (a trick that has not saved my bacon this time, heh) :)

swinks
30-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Jason, I experienced the same after tidying up wires under centre console. Apparently 2 fuses were blown, 1 under bonnet, 1 i drivers pocket.
BTW, the same alarm I have :)

foxdie
30-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Most cars that were imported with Ebony and Ivory had the Ai606 fitted, it's a pretty versatile alarm system, got multiple remote outputs :)

I'll check the fuses tomorrow

swinks
30-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Mine wasn't Ebony and Ivory :pimp2:

foxdie
01-08-2011, 09:16 AM
As usual, simplest solution was the most effective, 15A fuse had blown under the dash, must remember not to hold down the unlock button in future :)

foxdie
01-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Well, crap, it blew the fuse again.

Not sure when either, door opened fine when I got into the car, started it fine, it locked automatically with the alarm. Chris comes to the car about a minute later, I press the unlock button and the doors unlock, he gets in and I set off.

A few minutes later I think "driving through brum, better lock the door.."... nothing. Fuse blown again and no idea when.

Nick Mann
01-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Could be a wiring short.

apeman69
01-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Sounds like you may need to check the wiring of the central locking and the alarm. I bet E&I used those poxy Scotchlock connectors throughout :)
As you had trouble with it before and you've recently been rewiring the whole car :p you may have disturbed something that already wasn't too clever. Check anything else that's on the same fuse too (if there is anything else... I dunno).
But you already know all this!

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyFingers :)

apeman69
01-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I don't know what the problem is with your passenger door switch but could that have any bearing?

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyFingers :)

foxdie
01-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Nah I made sure the passenger door switch was put back as I found it.

I did notice on the workshop day when I was wiring in my seats that if I jiggled the main wiring loom behind the steering column that my alarm system would simulate an unlock from the fob (hazards would flash twice), I chalked that down to a bolt with a ground wire being loosened off at the time, but at least now I know where to start looking :)