PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Removal

marsh
04-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Having taken delivery of my VR4 and failing to locate the not present CD changer I need to get the old mitsubishi unit out.

Problem is I can't find anything to release the old one out of it's cage with :sad3:

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lurch
04-11-2004, 05:43 PM
If your talking about the head unit at the front, take out the ash tray thing at the bottom then gently lever the woodgrain panel with a flat head screwdriver, wrap the screwdriver in some felt or something so you dont damage the panel and push the screwdriver slowly backwards (well towards the dash) starting at the bottom the whole panel should come forward :)

The panel should come off pretty easily and then give you access to the head unit etc behind... just a couple of screws are holding in the head unit should be able to spot them fairly easily :)

marsh
04-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Thankyou kindly sir. Some daylight hours over the weekend should see me remove the nasty lump.

Oh, and my first drive in the car alone today (the wife isn't a fan of speed) and I have to say I'm slightly gobsmacked. That's an understatement really, it's mindbending. :rolleyes5

Nick Mann
04-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Do you have the MMCS screen, or the slightly more normal climate control seperate from the radio?

I know about the normal console, but not the MMCS.

The console is held in with six push in/out clips and the gear lever trim. The gear lever trim will pop upwards from the gear lever, releasing the bottom of the console. Once that is out of the way, open the glove box and push the rest of the console forwards. The clips are located down each side, (top middle and bottom!) and the climate controls and cigarette lighter come with the whole unit. The unit moves about 3 or four inches, which is enough to release the loom from the climate and if necessary the wires to the lighter. Now the console is out of the way, you should be free to work on the stereo!

I can't imagine that the MMCS is much different. Also, some cars with uk spec stereos have them mounted the normal uk way - i.e. clips holding the radio to the console.

Good luck!

marsh
04-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Just the normal climate control malarky. Was kinda hopeful I'd find the multichanger in the car but alas it's not there or anywhere else for that matter. I suppose I could try and buy one and get an FM expander but it seems like alot of fannying about when I can just get the old one out and put the single CD unit I had before.

Nick Mann
04-11-2004, 10:41 PM
For any full members wanting to do this, Kieran posted a very good Haynes style article with photos here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3293). (Actually, it is better than Haynes!)

Kieran
04-11-2004, 11:10 PM
For any full members wanting to do this, Kieran posted a very good Haynes style article with photos here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3293). (Actually, it is better than Haynes!)

Hey, thanks Nick! :-b

Some more will be coming when the purchase of KieranCorp Towers is complete (don't Frikkin' ask!!! :furious3: )

Like....

Fitting a VR-4 Fujitsubo Exhaust to Hordak! :
Fitting Gauges to Hordak! :rolleyes5
Fitting a VR-4 Style Spoiler to Hordak! :$
Fitting a HKS CAMP + screen to Hordak! :-b
Fitting a BDA De-cat to Hordak! :D
Fitting a HKS Super Power Flow to Hordak! :lipsrseal
Fitting an Apexi RSM+G sensor to Hordak! :lipsrseal

I really must get my arse in gear and get some of these things done!
:$ :$

marsh
06-11-2004, 12:03 AM

Gah, why don't you accept paypal payment to join?. I know there are fee's involved but even I'd pay the extra.

Kieran
06-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Gah, why don't you accept paypal payment to join?. I know there are fee's involved but even I'd pay the extra.

Erm..... We do accept Paypal!! :)

I'll see if I can find the thread, unless Pete wants to quickly post a run-down.

Nick Mann
06-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Different thread, but:

.....the preferred method of payment is paypal if possible. Please send this to pete@clubvr4.co.uk and PM me with all the info required on the form

Many thanks

Pete

Hope this helps.

marsh
06-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Many thanks.

Just to let you know that in my spare time I'm also known as Joey Deacon.

Pete M
23-11-2004, 09:43 PM
I've just completed the same task on my Legnum. Removal of the factory cassette radio and installation of the Sony CD changer from my previous car. I found out a few interesting things.
1. In a Legnum, you can fit the changer inside the cupboard at the left rear of the load space. The trim's a bit tricky to remove, but you take off the big piece of plastic under the window, the bit down the left side of the door, and the piece over the latch on the bottom. The fibre flexible bit then pulls toward the middle of the car.
2. I made a shelf for mounting my changer out of a bit of sheet steel and it was 360mm long and bent at a right angle. 90mm horizontal and 50mm vertical. The vertical part bolted to the ledge along the left rear portion of the boot. There was a very small part of the ledge I had to remove so the changer could sit slightly above it.
3. Then it was just a matter of cutting the fibre fluffy board away so that the changer was just enclosed when the panel was refitted. I had to cut away the top of the inside of the cupboard so that I could remove the cartridge too. Wiring went out the front of the boot area, under the edge of the back seat, along the left sill inside the wiring plastic boxes, up the left footwell edge, into the top of the glove box, and into the centre console.
4. To get the radio working, install your own radio and get it connected. The antenna wires come out to three connectors. One is a normal sized car aerial connector, one a smaller car aerial connector and one a white wire with a black stripe. Connect the large aerial connector to your radio. Tape up the small connector, this doesn't seem to be needed. After you have connected up your radio to speakers, constant 12v, earth and switched 12v, you probably have some other wires left over. I had three wires. I switched the radio on and selected AM. Then I checked each of the three wires not connected. I found one wire that had 12v on when in AM or FM but nothing when in Tape or CD. This wire I connnected to the white and black wire that connects to the aerial. This is for the antenna amplifier that makes the littlle wires in the windows work properly.
I hope this may help someone else, as it took me a couple of afternoons to get this sorted.
:rolleyes5

norcab
18-08-2005, 12:23 AM
I try to view the pics in the above link, but I seem to have no access. Anybody know why???

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Norman

Nick Mann
18-08-2005, 10:38 AM
The pictures are in the members area. It is one of several 'How to' articles. Full access is granted on the purchase of full membership.