PDA

View Full Version : Front Axles

gorgath
10-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi Guys,

Can someone please confirm if the FL front axles are the same as the PFL? Also, is there much a difference between MT and AT? I heard that it is different at one side, so which side?

I am in need to replace my front left side and I have PFL AT.

Thanks!

Nick Mann
10-08-2011, 10:34 PM
The passenger side drive shaft is slightly longer on a manual as compared to an auto, but not so much as to make them unusable on the other version. The difference you can't make up for is the lay shaft through the gearbox between the driveshaft and the transfer box.

All other driveshafts are identical.

gorgath
10-08-2011, 10:57 PM
thanks nick. so how much is this not so much longer? would you recommend using iy as replacement on an AT?

Nick Mann
11-08-2011, 09:23 PM
I have an AT front left driveshaft on a car that is now MT, this works with no problems. The difference is between 5 and 10mm IIRC, which should be taken up by the inner CV joint without too much issue. Please note I haven't used a MT driveshaft on an AT car.

gorgath
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Hmmm...one member from ozvr4 did a MT conversion and his telling that somehow his MT driveshaft is causing issue on his ABS so he uses AT driveshaft.

Do you know what is the coupling in the middle of the shaft? on the MT driveshaft, it doesn't have it.

Mark 4
12-08-2011, 12:07 AM
It's not a coupling . It's a harmonic damper or balancer. Someone will confirm this.

Nick Mann
12-08-2011, 08:52 AM
As Mark says, it isn't a coupling.

I ran my VR4 for 3 years as a manual with an auto shaft. I never had any ABS issues on the car at all. I will be running my new VR4 with the same configuration when I get a chance to manual convert it.