PDA

View Full Version : Yet another MMCS thread

Antony_Baker
07-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi

Picked up my new vr4 from Newcatle today and on the way home had to tape some newspaper over my MMCS touchscreen as the glare was so bright it was distracting me while driving through the rain on the A1.

I've read through just about every other thread concerning MMCS this evening and none of them seem to touch on teh problem that I am experiencing.

The screen seems to be constantly cycling at random intervals, back to the startup picture ( the one with the buildings in the background ) this picture is super bright, far brighter than the screen normally is when in aircon or radio mode. Just when I thought that I had cracked it and stopped it from cycling itself, it would do it again.

The real problem here is, other than I had to cover it up of course, that I am unable to get to the aircon controls on the screen, or use the radio at length etc. Has anyone else ever experienced this ?

While staying on the subject of the MMCS panel, I can sort of pick up TV on mine, but its incredibly blurry and jumpy, I could clearly make out some images on the screen. Does anyone withe the mmcs setup have a peculiar double telescopic antena device fitted to their ski bars on the roof ? I will take some pics of this and post them here tomorrow.

Just one other thing :) I have two boxes in the boot which appear to be related to the sat nav and MMCS, one box is the cd rom drive which holds the Road Navigator Japan cd, and there is another box which appears to be a TV tuner, interestingly there are some spare sockets on the back of this box which may allow for a auxillery dvd or video device to be viewed on the mmcs in its VIDEO mode.

All of this isnt possible for test at the moment as I cant get the screen to stay in any sort of operational mode, just wondering if one has to make some sort of initial setup in order to start using the aircon properly etc.

Cheers
Antony

krisby
07-11-2004, 04:38 AM
my aircon and radio were ok to start with, then after a couple of days it got confused and would do as you say, keep cycling through the screens.

I disconnected the GPS aerial from the satnav unit and that stopped the satnav trying to work out where the hell I was.

So now when I want the radio, it stays on the radio, or aircon, or CD or whatever.

As for the other box for the TV received or DVD bolt on, not sure, mine does not have it, but who's to say they aren't available.

dickytim
07-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Here we go, there is buttons with "DISP" this is for display, press the one on the air con control panel, also the inputs, if they are the same as mine are RGB inputs so if you have a ?NTSC DVD player with RGB outputs you could theroetically use it, you will never get the TV stations properly as you guys as well as NZ have the PAL system and these are not compatible, to finish with try putting your driving lights on it darkens the screen, which you should probably be using if you are driving in the rain. Other than that I think there is more info in the members area on the MMCS.

Legnum Boy
07-11-2004, 10:09 AM
A while back, I did work out a sequence of 3 touch screen buttons that turned the screen off. It would then turn back on at the press of the stereo or aircon display buttons, for a few seconds, enough time to make the necessary adjustments.

Now mine is completely fooked, and I just have it covered up.

I can still guess where to touch the screen, to get the cd changer to swap discs or to display outside air temperature, or adjust EQ levels etc.

I wish I could just rip the whole thing out and replace it with a normal aircon controller and aftermarket sound system, but Im not sure if I can.... :sad3:

Antony_Baker
07-11-2004, 12:47 PM
I disconnected the GPS aerial from the satnav unit and that stopped the satnav trying to work out where the hell I was.

Hi thanks, the only thing that I can see to diconnect from the satnav ( and by this I assume the box you mean is the one that you pop the cd into ) is a multiplug, all this seems to do is stop the TV trying to pick up channels...

Did you have the freaky double telescopic aerial thing ?

Kieran
07-11-2004, 07:29 PM
While staying on the subject of the MMCS panel, I can sort of pick up TV on mine, but its incredibly blurry and jumpy, I could clearly make out some images on the screen. Does anyone withe the mmcs setup have a peculiar double telescopic antena device fitted to their ski bars on the roof ? I will take some pics of this and post them here tomorrow.

The device you speak of is a diversity antenna. It's for your TV. They use at least one pair of aerials (as you have) and most systems allow for two sets of aerials.

They each recieve the same broadcast and the idea is that two or four aerials has a better chance of recieving the complete transmission with no errors - important when operating in an environment such as a car, where the antenna is constantly changing direction and location. The diversity circuit will constantly measure the signal strenght of both antennas and feed the stronger of the two (or four) signals to the TV tuner.

Antony_Baker
08-11-2004, 02:04 PM
I am starting to think that the annoying reset thing is a loose connection somewhere. I managed to stop the thing cycling back to the startup screen while parked, but as soon as I went for a drive, it went again.

I've disconnected just about everything from the boxes in the boot ( both satnav and tv tuner ) but to no avail.

Its driving me mad, I could could happily live with a screen that just controlled my aircon.

Tried to replace the radio part of the setup yesterday, and there appears to be an extra block connected to the Mitsi radio that I wasnt expecting, the setup in the older legnums is only one blocked that you can plug a halfords standard converter into. So it would seem that even swapping over to a standard head unit could prove to be problematic.

On the up side, and I dont know whether this is my imagination or not, but the new VR4 appears to be blisteringly quick in acceleration in comparison to my older silver Type S, certainly feels far scarier in foot down mode.

Incidentally, just about to join the club ( again ), what do the stickers look like these days ? :-)

Regards
Antony

krisby
09-11-2004, 06:05 AM
Hi thanks, the only thing that I can see to diconnect from the satnav ( and by this I assume the box you mean is the one that you pop the cd into ) is a multiplug, all this seems to do is stop the TV trying to pick up channels...

Did you have the freaky double telescopic aerial thing ?

Nah, my one is built into the rear windows, though I do see a lot of fresh imports from japan with those aerials, in some cases 2 or 4 on one car.

Let me run outside and check to see what plug I pulled, hang on.....

...righto, looking at the satnav cd player thing from the top of the unit (assuming your unit is the same as mine), towards the rear of the unit on the left hand side (remember from the top) is a cluster of plugs going into the unit, all multicolored and psychodelic man, on its own just past that cluster is one plug that is near the top of the left hand side, on mine it is a grey plug, disconnecting that stops the GPS from hunting out your location and screwing up the MMCS.

Mine too seemed to be ok whilst stationery, it was when moving that it went mental, I spent a few days trying different things, like no CD in the satnav, setting display on radio when stationery, hitting buttons randomly, this was the only solution that worked for me.