PDA

View Full Version : Boost Leak

jjayokocha
15-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Can someone tell me where the boost pipe on the bottom ic piping under the intake side should go to? had my car at a mechanics other day to fix my boost leak and he seems to have block this pipe up with a bolt.

kiteman
15-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Jay, if you put up a photo of it, someone on here will be able to help.

jjayokocha
15-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Will try get one in the morning then, if you remove the ic piping going to the inlet mani, its the ic piping under it that goes to the turbo, it has a boost pipe coming from it just near the rear of the engine if that helps

Davezj
16-08-2011, 01:20 PM
it sounds like the pipe that goes to the power steering valve. the flex pipe goes to the metal pipe the runs across the top of the engine and out the other side and on to the valve in to of the power steering pump. but you will not see the metal pipe if you have you engine cover fitted.

and you are getting mixed up with you intercooler pipe terminology, the only intercooler pipe there is one that come directly from the intercooler to the throttle body, the rest of the pipework in that area is inlet pipe work and is low pressure stuff as it is all before the inlet to the turbos.

apeman69
16-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Can someone tell me where the boost pipe on the bottom ic piping under the intake side should go to? had my car at a mechanics other day to fix my boost leak and he seems to have block this pipe up with a bolt.

Sounds like you might mean the thick black rippled rubber pipe underneath the air box/air filter. If so then it's pipe number 1 in the doodle below.
This may not be applicable if you have a boost controller fitted that does not use the standard boost solenoid as pipe number 1 is the outlet from the solenoid that is used to bleed air back to the air intake.

Here's the old favourite factory hosing diagram for further reference:-

jjayokocha
16-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Ye sorry if i make it confusing, it looks to be what you have in the pic as number one, my pipe that goes to throttle body has 2 pipes coming from it, one as u said goes in under the engine cover onto the fpr i think it is and the other goes to the boost solenoid.

pipe number 1 wasnt conencted to anything, just a pipe coming from the thick black rippled pipe and had the end blocked off with a bolt.

Nick Mann
16-08-2011, 10:36 PM
The pipe from the ribbed pipework goes to the vent connection on the boost solenoid, as mentioned above. This is so that any air bled from the system by the boost solenoid stays in the inlet system between the MAF and the engine.

jjayokocha
16-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Right well my pipes must be all over the place.

1st pipe i have is what comes from the T-piece where the actuators meet, this goes to the boost solenoid (the one at the front and nipple closest to engine)
2nd pipe comes from the 2nd nipple on the front solenoid and closet to the basttery which goes to one of the nipples on the ic piping going to the inlet mani.
3rd pipe goes from ic piping to inlet mani to under the engine cover for the fpr
4th pipe is in the one coming from thick black ripped pipe and is just plugged with a bolt at other end

I know there is a few more pipes which i need to check in morning to see where they go like the solenoid at the rear.

apeman69
17-08-2011, 07:45 AM
If you don't have a boost controller on there then the factory hosing diagram is the one to follow :)

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyFingers :)

jjayokocha
17-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I have an mbc fitted, i have the boost pipe coming from actuator tee into the bottom on the mbc and top of mbc goes into the piping that goes to throttle body. This is the way i got the car so presume the plonker that had it before me (not Trev on here) had made a mess of everything.

Now there is 2 pipes that come from the black ripped piping under the tb piping. 1 is a thick black one that goes away into the engine and 2nd is a small pipe which is plugged with a bolt.

Also the tb has a pipe coming from it at the front which goes down onto the rear solenoid closest to back of the engine.

I tried going by the diagram there but confused myself and didnt fancy starting to replumb it all incase i made it worse.

Davezj
17-08-2011, 01:26 PM
As i said earlier the thick rippled black rubber pipe (about 2 inch diameter) under the pipe that is connected to the throttle body is not an intercooler pipe and does not contain boost pressure at any time.

it will contain a small vacuum pressure when engine is in idle, and slightly bigger vacuum when the car is being driven as the air is succed in by the turbo's, but the pipe that small comes off that i believe goes to the power steering valve. and the bigger pipe i assume is the rocker cover breather pipe.

the only big pipe (approx 3 inch diameter) that contains boost on that side of the engine bay is the one that goes to the throttle body from the intercooler.
i think you are confusing everyone when you talk about the rippled pipe.

apeman69
17-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Don't panic as it sounds like it's connected correctly.
The only thing to consider about the rippled black pipe, when fitting an MBC, is plugging the thin vacuum tube which has already been done :)
Here's a couple of doodles I did ages ago which should give you a better idea of what needs to be connected where.
This was for one of the in-cabin adjustable MBCs but whichever type you have should be in the same place piping-wise.
With the MBC fitted you can disconnect the boost solenoid vacuum piping completely (simply by blocking off the pipes that go into and out of the solenoid: leave the electrical plug connected) so that the MBC is connected directly between the red-tipped pipe of the black plastic inlet elbow and the wastegate actuators.

jjayokocha
17-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Cheers apeman for the diagram, now i am getting somewhere.

In diagram 1 yes i have one pipe that goes to under the engine cover.

The 2nd diagram i have an r spec mbc to which i have pipe going from actuator t piece straight into bottom of mbc and then pipe out back of mbc goes into the inlet elbow. I noticed in ur diagram though u have a t piece in which 1 line runs up to mbc & other goes straight into the inlet elbow. Maybe this is where mine is wrong.

I will do my best in morning when i get into work to get some pics and highlight the other pipes that are under the inlet elbow as i have down there not conencted at 1 end.

apeman69
17-08-2011, 09:00 PM
The drawings are for one of the turbosmart style mbcs that have a metal block t-piece that is part of the mbc. This then joins to the separate adjusting mechanism.
If your mbc is a 1 piece L shaped jobby, for example, then it's connected in place of my metal t-piece. Hope this makes sense!

jjayokocha
17-08-2011, 10:06 PM
I did a bit of art work on ur diagram to show how i have my mbc set up, hope u don't mind. I bypassed the solenoid closet to the front of the car to set it up as from what i read on here. Hopefully it's set up correctly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/jjayokocha/mymbcsetup.jpg

Davezj
17-08-2011, 10:30 PM
so you were not talking about the rippled pipe under the IC pipe that goes to the throttle body, you were talking about the very small pipe that has spiral wrap round it. if you had said that it would have saved a lot of confusion.

but hey why should i worry about your issues, you seem to completely ignore me anyway. common curtsy cost nothing.
i am not talking about you Alan.

jjayokocha
17-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Apologies Dave, i was confusing myself with everything so started off with making sure the mbc was plumbed in correctly.

Yes i do still have an issue with the ripped pipework under the inlet elbow. I have a small hose coming from it that is plugged at other end with a bolt, as i said best i can do is remove inlet elbow in the morning n try get some good pics. Just have a feeling the plonker before me just connected all hoses up together cause so far i found 3 t pieces!

Kenneth
17-08-2011, 11:19 PM
I just looked at your diagram of your MBC setup.

Be aware that the Red tipped hose usually has a restrictor in it. It is a piece of metal with a very small hole in it. This could case your MBC to be especially sensitive, or even to be impossible to adjust to a reasonable boost level.

jjayokocha
17-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Kenneth thats where i run into problems, young lad had replaced all factory hoses with silicone ones. Only restrictor i have come across is the little one in the std boost solenoid nipple.

apeman69
18-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Just to clarify: the std boost solenoid is attached to a metal bracket along with the fuel pressure solenoid. The boost solenoid is the one on the left as you look at it standing at front bumper. IIRC the fuel one is brown.
If you have bypassed the boost sol by blocking off/removing the pipes then the pipe off the rippled thick air filter pipe (there's gotta be a proper name for this) DOES need to be plugged as it is one of the original connections of the boost solenoid. Leave the electrics plugged in.
I'd make sure the connections to the power steering idle up thingy and the fuel pressure sol are correct while you're at it.

Dave, take a pill... and I DO mean you :)

jjayokocha
18-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Finally got some pictures this morning, don't mind the plumbing of the mbc as i had put it back through the std solenoid as i thought it was causing my problem.

First pic here shows the pipe coming from the intake below the inlet mani, as i said one end is blocked off with a bolt. The bigger pipe in the rear of the picture goes away under the engine cover.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/jjayokocha/18082011320.jpg

Now the second picture shows my 2 solenoids, i believe the one at the front (Brown) is the boost solenoid as oneo f the nipples has a little restrictor in it. I had bypassed the 2 nipples to go straight from actuator tee into my mbc.
The rear solenoid (black) has 1 nipple either side of it instead of 2 on top like the front. The nipple closet wheel arch has a pipe going up onto the throttle body. The rear nipple has a pipe that goes away in under the engine cover.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/jjayokocha/18082011321.jpg

Hopefully this might help give a clearer picture of how my pipes are all set up.

Davezj
18-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Dave, take a pill... and I DO mean you :)

I am under sedation as i twype!

Oooh the pretty pink elephants, No!, sharks, No!, Big red crabs, big red crabs.

apeman69
18-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Good boy :)

jjayokocha
19-08-2011, 08:31 AM
So any idea where the plugged pipe should go?

apeman69
19-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Must be true what they say about the Irish (I'm only 1/4 Irish so doesn't apply to me :))
If you are keeping the MBC on and you've bypassed the solenoid then this pipe needs to be plugged otherwise you'd have an air leak. Leave it as it is or shorten the pipe if it's unnecessary wagglyness and/or visibility is bugging you.
Dave, you got any of those pills left?

eyeballprawn
19-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I have an EBC and have blocked that same hose/pipe up with a bolt. Normally it connects to the factory boost solenoid and returns bled off boost pressure back into the intake after the MAF & air filter. This is preferable to venting to the atmosphere as that air has already been metered by the MAF.

Most EBCs and MBCs work differently to the factory setup and do not require the return air, so you have to block that pipe up with something.

If you keep your boost controller installed and do not block this pipe then dirt and other crap will get sucked into the turbos and engine.

jjayokocha
19-08-2011, 05:43 PM
So does that pipe then need connected with a t piece onot one of the nipples between the mbc and the inlet piping to throttle body?

sabreuk
19-08-2011, 05:57 PM
if you want to take your mbc off then yes that pipe with the bolt in goes to your standard boost solenoid you dont need a t piece (the brown solenoid with 2 nipples on), if you are leaving the mbc fitted then leave it alone bud.

jjayokocha
19-08-2011, 08:49 PM
So thats the rear of the mbc plumed into 1 of the nipples on inlet elbow and leave the pipe on the ripped intake alone.

Cheers everyone

apeman69
19-08-2011, 11:36 PM
I need a lie down in a dark room!