PDA

View Full Version : How do I properly check a lateral arm ball joint?

MikeKey
16-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Started hearing a creak from the front drivers side this morning when going over big bumps or turning at low speeds. I'm thinking it's the lateral arm ball joint so want some pointers on what exactly to check, e.g., is it enough to just disconnect the suspension fork and check that the arm and joint move OK, or should I get the joint splitter on there and unbolt it from the upright so I can move the ball joint around on its own?

Cheers,

Mike

Nick Mann
17-08-2011, 10:19 PM
It's very difficult to check, as the wear on the ball joint tends to be at the joints normal resting position. Jacking the car up twists the ball in the socket to a new resting point well out of the joints normal position, so the wear tends to be unnoticeable.

Ideally, find a garage with a ramp that has slide plates for the wheels to sit on. Then you can get under the car, give it a good wiggle and look and feel. A crow bar can sometimes help pin movement down to one joint too. My local MOT place has a remote control for the plate so it can do the pushing and pulling for you whilst you walk around and have a really good look!

Second best IMO is to release the taper from the hub and then feel the movement by grabbing the taper and pulling/pushing. One in good condition will require a reasonable amount of force to swivel the ball in it's socket. If the ball joint swivels freely then have a very good look. If you can feel the ball is not a good fit in the socket (any movement at all that is not pure rotation) then throw it over your shoulder and fit a new one.

peter thomson
17-08-2011, 10:36 PM
I use Nicks second method as well as there is so much tension it is diffiult to tell when still all bolted up