PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 gLS ?

adi
07-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Hi all thinking of buying a GLS. Its £3200 on a V plate, 45000 miles.. good price? Is there anything in particular i should look out for? Whats the autoboxlike..well proved? consumption?

Any help would be great :D

Kieran
07-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Welcome to Club VR-4. :)

My previous Galant was a 2.0GLS Auto.

The automatic is creamy smooth... You can't feel it change when you're driving about normally. Fuel consumption isn't brilliant, because of the sheer weight of the auto - It's only about 15Kgs lighter than my 2.5V6 Sport, so ~29mpg is about right.

The price quoted is very good. Get it checked out in terms of history and damage. The 2.0 GLS was sold in considerable numbers to companies, so make sure it's not been abused.

Full service history is a must, especially with that autobox. It's well proven - My GLS had 103,000 miles on it when I sold it - But it can be a liability if it's been abused or if the fluid has been barbecued!

adi
07-11-2004, 07:39 PM
cheers for the quick reply :D

Its got full service history and apparently only one owner.. i did wonder why it was so cheap but im guessing because of the autobox or the colour (its bright red). Its at a local dealership.

I've got an autobox on another car (twin turbo supra) so i'm aware of keeping the fluid clean etc..

Whats the reliability like of the 2.0? Any known weaknesses?

Kieran
07-11-2004, 07:42 PM
cheers for the quick reply :D

Its got full service history and apparently only one owner.. i did wonder why it was so cheap but im guessing because of the autobox or the colour (its bright red). Its at a local dealership.

I've got an autobox on another car (twin turbo supra) so i'm aware of keeping the fluid clean etc..

Whats the reliability like of the 2.0? Any known weaknesses?

No worries.

You'll find the GLS slug-like in comparrison to a SupraTT!

There's only one 'weakness' with the SOHC version of the Mitsubishi 4G63 that's used in the GLS.... And that's the lash adjusters. I say 'Weakness' because it's not a reliability issue. basically, the hydraulic tappets in the head are prone to blocking up - which makes them tick. The usual solution is an oil flush or two - Just search the forums for the term 'lash adjuster' and you'll get all the information you'll ever need! :)

adi
07-11-2004, 10:29 PM
hmm thats not too bad i guess.. although i once had another engine which was prone to hydraulic tappet blockups... so i know that they can be a nightmare to fix. I'm assuming its down to pinhole oilfeeds becoming blocked?

I reckon im going to have a looksie at it tomorrow.. even if i dont buy this particular one i'm def going to get one in the future.. i'm tempted by the VR4 but i dont think i can afford to run two twin turbo cars :D so i reckon its gotta be the 2.0 litre. Its actually going to replace my POS french piece of crap 1999 laguna, which is a nightmare to own.

Nice site by the way ! I actually was told about this place when i went down to TRAX in september (what a nightmare journey to get in)... i was talking to some bloke with an oil problem on the front of his VR4? Cant remember his name..

Big Ian
07-11-2004, 10:43 PM
:wavey: Hi an good luck with gettin the GLS,dont be confused by all the VR4 talk,as all owner's of any model Galant are found on here :D ...ive had my GLS for over 2 year's now and the only problem ive had was the crank-shaft-pulley got it replaced,and since then (touch wood) it's been a great car can't fault the power that the 2.0ltr has,and there's more in there if you start looking ;)
also ,look's like a good buy

adi
08-11-2004, 10:18 AM
cheers for the info ian... nice car BTW :D

adi
08-11-2004, 10:29 PM
had a better look today...

One of the rear arches has had a minor repair.. nothing major but they've done an appalling job of it.. i'm also suspect that one of the wings has been resprayed..

needless to say i'll be looking elsewhere :D

Big Ian
09-11-2004, 07:23 AM
:sad3: better safe than sorry...good luck with finding what your looking for...still thinking about a Galant? :D

adi
09-11-2004, 11:30 AM
yep def still getting a galant ! just got to look out for a better one.. theres another one close to me i've seen on autotrader so ringning up about that on later..

naquadria
09-11-2004, 03:18 PM
I've got a 1.8 GDI Galant, has anyone heard of that in the UK? Or is this going to be a nightmare for me to shift "when" I get a VR-4?? :rolleyes:

freeman
12-12-2004, 04:45 PM
it's certainly to last but i have a 2.0l gls and it's a great car and i foind that the consumption is correct. (i can do 500 kms with 50l and i drive essentially at the city).

Good car and no problem with the motor!

great car.