PDA

View Full Version : Living and working in NZ

chris g
08-11-2004, 09:45 PM
You may have noticed on other threads that I am likely to be moving to NZ to work in early 2005 - all depends on speed of the registration process with the NZ Nursing Council

So, assuming it all goes ahead we will be living and working in the Hamilton/Waikato area of the North Island - see that, despite failing geography at school all those years ago, I can still get place names right despite my advancing years and the looming worry of Alzheimers - best forget that problem for now!

What's it like in the southern hemisphere (more correct geography!)

What about insurance for cars - we may actually be bringing VR-4 with us so these are important matters

Wil I be penalised with high premium for mods or will they have to be removed?

Currently HKS filter/HKS springs/stainless exhaust decat at moment

Is it likely to need cat for your version of MoT?

Where is a nice place/area to live in Hamilton - I should be working at Waikato Hospital on ? Ohaupo Road /Lorne Street ?

Or an area to avoid?

Will need a laptop - how cheap can we pick one up out there - for basic email/surfing

I wil prob have other questions about settling in, about cars and advice about different things, and about cars but thats all for now

If all goes well I may get a contract extension and then think about residency but see how first twelve months go

Knowing there are some VR-4 friends out there is a positive for me

Hope to meet some of you in 2005

Chris

KiwiTT
08-11-2004, 11:02 PM
What's it like in the southern hemisphere (more correct geography!)

- All the seasons are in a different order (i.e. BBQ for Xmas)

What about insurance for cars - we may actually be bringing VR-4 with us so these are important matters

- For over 25's, not bad.

Wil I be penalised with high premium for mods or will they have to be removed?

- Power changes (i.e turbo Boost changes may effect it.)

Currently HKS filter/HKS springs/stainless exhaust decat at moment

- These should be no problem. Keep them on.

Is it likely to need cat for your version of MoT?

Cats. What are they. No not yet. They are planning to add emmission testing in the future, but a well tuned/serviced car may alleviate the need.

Where is a nice place/area to live in Hamilton - I should be working at Waikato Hospital on ? Ohaupo Road /Lorne Street

Or an area to avoid?

- Can't comment. However the "traffic cops train in the Waikato"

Will need a laptop - how cheap can we pick one up out there - for basic email/surfing

- check out (new) http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_22.html or (2nd hand) www.trademe.co.nz

I wil prob have other questions about settling in, about cars and advice about different things, and about cars but thats all for now

If all goes well I may get a contract extension and then think about residency but see how first twelve months go

Knowing there are some VR-4 friends out there is a positive for me

- I will be pleased to assist you.

Hope to meet some of you in 2005

- Me too

Chris

chris g
08-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks KiwiTT for the info

Other things come to mind as I read through your reply

Mobile phones - are sim cards available for our pay as you go phone or would we need to have a contract phone - what sort of prices for contracts and/or pay as you go

Satellite/cable/broadband - are these available around Hamilton/Waikato?

Is broadband expensive compared to dial-up services as it seems to be in UK?

And a 1001 other questions that I am sure will burst out over the coming weeks!

KiwiTT
08-11-2004, 11:50 PM
Vodafone has prepay for your phones.
Broadband starts at $39.95 per month

more options and details here (http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,5123,203086-202343,00.html)

Pete M
08-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Chris, for questions re Nursing, PM me, as my wife is a Registered Nurse here in NZ. We also lived in the UK from 97 - 02 so she has UK reg and pin as well. My son's fiancee is a UK nurse too, and she went through the process of getting NZ registration. I hope you enjoy your stay, you may want to extend it. Cars etc (apart from speeding fines) are a much simpler and less expensive thing. Driving around Hamilton and the Waikato, you'll probably think someone's dropped a neutron bomb, it's so quiet compared to anywhere but the Scottish Highlands.

Regards

Pete

calum
09-11-2004, 01:30 AM
don't take your car - buy one there. Jap imports are everywhere in NZ.

KiwiTT
09-11-2004, 01:41 AM
don't take your car - buy one there. Jap imports are everywhere in NZ.

About $15K for a VR-4,

chris g
09-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Yes it's cheaper to take my car and pay for it to be tested/checked//registered for road in NZ than it is to buy vr-4 there

_simon_
09-11-2004, 11:08 AM
How long have you owned your VR-4 for? If it's not long then you may have to pay GST (12.5%) on the value of it.
I can point you in the right direction for places to live. Are you wanting to rent or buy? There are a lot of places within walking distance of the hospital.

chris g
09-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Had car for two years so do not expect to pay GST

Wil be looking to rent and visit agencies/properties as soon as we arrive - in motel/hotel initially paid by employer/agency IIRC

And would not commit to a property until we visit - check out on we bprior to departure but not decide until in NZ

If you have any details of property letting agencies in Waikato area that would be useful to check properties/prices /locations on web from UK

Already using RealNZ IIRC so getting ideas - it would be nice to know areas around the place to avoid rental - perhaps there are none

If we were close to Hospital then Jan could use a car or may use public transport - she is likely to work in centre of the city - what is public transport like around Waikato?

Then again she will not drive the VR-4 so we may need a small car if public transport not adequate

KiwiTT
10-11-2004, 09:00 AM
Don't expect much from Public Transport. Also, hold off on buying at the moment house prices are expected to make a dip in the next 12 months.

Josh2xsv is from Hamilton. send him a PM for some local knowledge.

_simon_
10-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Public transport is a bus once an hour. Not sure if they even run on Saturdays.
Hamilton is not too bad for biking if you're that way inclined, I'm too lazy.
I think the area between the hospital and city center is OK. Walking distance to both. It's hard to say as the lake is real close to the hospital so there's a lot a flash houses by it but once you get across the street who knows what the neighbour hood is like. My sister works at the hospital and lives in pembrooke street. Walks to work and into town. Its probably easier to show you on a map where to aviod as what I call areas is often not what they're called on the map :)
Last time I rented I went through raywhite http://www.raywhite.co.nz
I'll have a look through a paper tomorrow and find all the places that have www sites.
Oh yeah, and the definition of broadband overhere is 256kbps, which aint really broadband.

Xeroid
17-11-2004, 02:40 AM
Hi Chrisg,

Broadband options, chkout www.xtra.co.nz.
We get 2 meg speed, 10 gig cap for $70.00 per month with Telecom phone deal.
Best area is East Hamilton, West is Frankton which is a bit industrial, don't know what rental rates are like down there. Chk map etc on website below at www.hamiltoncity.co.nz and for general info.

Pretty sort of place, rural flavour, bit far from beaches for me ~ 1 hour maybe but close to Auckland and Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupo.
You'll find plenty of places to stretch the VR4 legs and chk the AYC is functioning.
No snow, bit wet, frosty in winter.

Good luck and enjoy

:-b

chris g
17-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks for info Xeroid

Although we will not be deciding about where to rent, it gives us some idea about places to look and compare the rents

I assume your typing went wrong and what you were telling us was that the worst place is Frankton as its more industrial

Looking fwd to getting out there, enjoying the country and meeting some of you - dont know if I will be in a VR-4 - car may be sold here in UK and then we have to use money for rent/living etc and prob a cheaper runabout, maybe a Legnum - LOL

Or I may put it in a container and ship it over but regs about that may be a little awkward - can keep it there re-registered if staying for at least 2 yrs IIRC but job is initially only for one year - can keep it there for a year as a foreign car so little work to do and no payment to register but have to send car home after a year

A little confusing but working on what will be easiest/cheapest/most convenient thing to do and hopefully the way that will allow me to keep the car in NZ

For now, thanks again and I may come back to you with some other questions about our new life and home

Chris

Xeroid
19-11-2004, 02:08 AM
Hi ChrisG,
I was implying that West Hamilton, Frankton was not the best place to rent in Hammytown. I do not want to offend any members who may happen to live down that way. :lipsrseal

If you are expecting to only be a year here possibly, no way would I bring your car out. Runabouts are cheap and plentiful over here. Pick up late Mirage or Galant or anything you like. Plenty of choice.
Criteria are cheap and reliable with enough space to carry all your junk :D

If you decide to stay on then plenty of options to buy better as you will see.

Questions answered for free, keep 'em coming.

Good luck

:-b

vader
04-12-2004, 10:47 PM
what a dream i would like to move to NZ

Trow
05-12-2004, 08:50 AM
what a dream i would like to move to NZ

do you know the only thing stopping you is yourself!! I thought the same for a while whilst I was living in shetland but just decided to do it!! every one says it to much hassel so just book your ticket first then think about packing up... worked for me. :)

Pete M
05-12-2004, 11:10 PM
I agree with Trow!
In '97 I took wife and younger 2 of 3 kids and moved to UK. We were there for 5 years. I really enjoyed it but youngest child had to either go right through UK high school and university system, or come back to NZ. So back it was. Would love to go back there though, had good friends etc.
The point is that as Trow says, you just have to decide to do it, and work through the obstacles one by one. There's a real shortage of skilled workers and tradesmen here, and it's a much more laid back lifestyle. Winters are much more mild so even outdoor activity goes on 12 months of the year. Older son plays winter football, and summer soccer as well.
Go on, you CAN do it....

Trow
07-12-2004, 02:27 PM
And apart from being the most beautiful country you will ever live in, you can buy really nice Legnums really cheaply!!!!! :-D

Pete M
07-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Hey! Mine wasn't *that* cheap. The wife loves it though, and that makes it easier for me to have my own hobby cars to play with. (84 Ser3 XJ12, 1275 Mini, 82 Katana)

strangebat
08-12-2004, 12:00 AM
we've thinking about a move out there as well, been there a couple of times when I was in the Navy and really liked it. was thinking about NZ or australia, but will find it difficult to get a vr4 in oz, although my wife seems to think that shouldn't be my highest priority :D

Trow
09-12-2004, 02:00 AM
is the '82 Katana the Suzuki Katana? I used to have a GS550 (similar) I rebuilt it from scratch had it for a month on the road got fed up with it and bought a Bandit 12 :-D

an my first car was a mini cooper 1300i as well :-D

chris g
09-12-2004, 10:17 AM
As for getting hold of a vr-4 it seems odd that in NZ you can buy an 8g vr-4 and few 6g on sale it seems, but in Ooz you can find lots of 6g Galants and vr-4 but none of the 8g cars as far as I can see.......strange

This is reflected in the owners groups - 8g in NZ but 6g in Oz

Pete M
09-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Trow...
Yep, it's an '82 GSX750SZ, the original Katana shape. I had a GS550 for a while in UK, got it as a total shed, then stripped it, powder coated frame, plated everything else, stainless fasteners, sold it when I moved back here..
I got the Mini for my daughter to drive when she gets her licence. Was a 1000 but has Allegro (Aggro?) 1300 in. Also on lowered cones, wide rims, arches etc. (Does have a cert!) Recently was given 1275 clubman to scrap. Have engine + interior. Put the twin carbs on, hee hee. Will change diff from 3.9 to 3.4 when I get a chance. Only had it up to about 150k so far, with about 7500 on the tacho. With higher diff, should be good for more relaxed cruising and faster speed. Not sure if daughter should have it after all....

Trow
09-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Trow...
Yep, it's an '82 GSX750SZ, the original Katana shape. I had a GS550 for a while in UK, got it as a total shed, then stripped it, powder coated frame, plated everything else, stainless fasteners, sold it when I moved back here..
I got the Mini for my daughter to drive when she gets her licence. Was a 1000 but has Allegro (Aggro?) 1300 in. Also on lowered cones, wide rims, arches etc. (Does have a cert!) Recently was given 1275 clubman to scrap. Have engine + interior. Put the twin carbs on, hee hee. Will change diff from 3.9 to 3.4 when I get a chance. Only had it up to about 150k so far, with about 7500 on the tacho. With higher diff, should be good for more relaxed cruising and faster speed. Not sure if daughter should have it after all....

WOW sound's really impressive - just need to slap on a little turbo now :)

I had sooo much trouble with my GS550 - not to mention no eyebrows after setting the timing 180deg out and trying to start it (not pretty seeing the flames come back up thru the carbs right in your face)!!!!!

but all my troubles turned out to be the diaphram in the fuel cock being porus!!
at that point I got fed up and sold it on :-)

the bandit 12 was good fun tho until I lost my license for speeding :dozey:

Mini's were great fun to work on - so easy to do anything with them. My grandad used to say if it can't be fixed with a hammer and a pair of tights leave it alone :-D

ako
13-12-2004, 11:08 PM
As for getting hold of a vr-4 it seems odd that in NZ you can buy an 8g vr-4 and few 6g on sale it seems, but in Oz you can find lots of 6g Galants and vr-4 but none of the 8g cars as far as I can see.......strange

This is reflected in the owners groups - 8g in NZ but 6g in Oz

Nope.. Wrong sorry. The VR4's are still rare in australia (They dont have many 6G's, I havent heard of a complete 7G VR4 over there and there's about 3 8G's apparently :| ), here in NZ getting a 6G, 7G, or 8G VR4 is as easy as finding a pushbike, or so it seems when you look through the 2nd hand papers. Have a look at www.nzmmc.org or www.msport.co.nz for some examples - its just a spread of everything mitsi, and every second car on there is a vr4 of some description, but mostly 6G's.

I know its been said a lot, but there is pretty much no import car in NZ that is hard to find. A lot of young guys are getting into a 6G VR4 as a first car, they are VERY cheap and just as plentiful. 7Gs are about the same, and even 8G's are coming down to the low teens, even for a manual sedan (generally the most desirable model).

chris g
14-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Well I am prob wrong of course living so far away and just relying on checking adverts for cars

But checking autopoint.co.nz I found quite a lot of8g galant/vr4 but only one 6g car

And I guess the people at clubvr4.org in Oz will be surprised to hear you say that 6g cars are rare as they seem to have loads of them

Still, the 6g may be comparatively rare on Oz and in NZ I will have missed the adverts on other websites - at this distance its not so easy to know where to look

Taking a lead from people on here where to buy 8g cars I did search and found some nice 8g cars but surprisingly none of the 6g cars

Will look at the sites mentioned to get a better idea of whats available

Pescha
14-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Try www.trademe.co.nz

ako
14-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Well I am prob wrong of course living so far away and just relying on checking adverts for cars

But checking autopoint.co.nz I found quite a lot of8g galant/vr4 but only one 6g car

And I guess the people at clubvr4.org in Oz will be surprised to hear you say that 6g cars are rare as they seem to have loads of them

Still, the 6g may be comparatively rare on Oz and in NZ I will have missed the adverts on other websites - at this distance its not so easy to know where to look

Taking a lead from people on here where to buy 8g cars I did search and found some nice 8g cars but surprisingly none of the 6g cars

Will look at the sites mentioned to get a better idea of whats available

Sorry, looks like you got a bit confused by what I was saying. In comparison to NZ, the 6G is still rare (ish) in australia, in terms of avalibility compared to say, a wrx or similar. Nowhere near as bad as the 7G on the other hand.. I think I was the only 7G owner on the clubvr4.org forums!. And as for the cars for sale, your right, trademe etc has pretty much none of them for sale. Looking in this weeks local paper shows me about 6 of them for sale in various states of modification however, seriously they are a very cheap and plentiful car here. Car yards don't normally stock them because their value is so low privately, they can't make a profit on them - whereas the 8G hasn't filtered down to the "boyracer" car buyer demographic yet, and hence holds its value a lot better.

Put it this way, once you get here and have a couple of days to look at the market, you'll realise that almost nothing is rare or hard to get hold of. If in doubt, get it imported from japan, a guy I know picked up a '98 tiptronic VR4 for $6000 NZD, fully complied and on the road, albiet with a 3 month wait for it to get here. You'll be fine, I promise ;)

Xeroid
01-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Hey ChrisG, is this excursion to NZ still on ?

Reason why Aussie don't have many VR4 is their protectionism of their own car industry, ie Holden and Ford factories. NZ has no car industry to speak of other than add-ons. After you've attempted to drive an Aussie Holden or Ford you'll know why they wish they could get VR4's and have our range of choices.

Looking for a 99/2000 Legnum VR4 for myself now. I expect to pay about $17,000 to $20,000 with about 50,000 to 70,000 km on the clock.
96/97 VR4 selling for about $12,000 to $16,000 ( has to be immaculate at that price )

Weather here has been crap for Xmas, probably buck up about the time you plan to get here if that's on.

Take care, Happy New Year

chris g
02-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, the big adventure is on!

Have just received proof of registration in NZ so going to NZ High Commission on Tuesday to apply for work visas and then all being well we will fly out at end of January

Accomodation provided by the hospital for 2 wks whilst we look for our own place in Hamilton (close to hopspital hopefully) and plan to get a car during this time prob for my wife to use mainly - checking out 'four guys autobarn' website at moment.

Found VR4s but also loking at... Subaru estate

Final choice may be decided by which car is suitable for my wife - short in stature so wants adjustable seat height/steering wheel etc - goodness knows what we may end up with!

Anyway with being on hospital site I wil be walking to work and should start work about a week after arriving

Have contract for a year then....think about staying for another year or longer

May have another contract or move around NZ

Plan to get in touch when flights confirmed and again after we get to Hamilton

Looks like we will fly into Auckland around 6am whichever date we arrive

Not certain whether to find airport hotel for a day to recover or get hire car and drive to Hamilton - may be decided by flight details

Hoping to see you end of January/beginning of February

Chris and Jan

Trow
02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
well mate, I moved here a year and 5 month ago and love it, I think you will have a great time. by the way - I work for EDS and we support the immigration dept so if you need any help or numbers just give me a shout. :)

chris g
02-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks - should be simple now - I think we have all the documents we need....I hope