PDA

View Full Version : MOT query before i spend money

Wobble
28-08-2011, 01:40 PM
The vr4 i brought a few weeks ago is a bit of a dog ,it has MOT untill november the something

I need to get it MOT'ed now to see if it will pass as i have some plans that need to be started straight away on it.

If it doesn't pass due to severe reasons then i will call it a loss on the car and get rid of it ,if it passes then i will bring it up to its former glory .

But if it does fail now will the MOT that is valid now become void as all MOT's are linked to vosa and the car would become a MOT failure meaning the car is useless over the next 3 months?

dont want to pay just in case it fails and becomes void as need the car in the short term future due to an imminent baby coming but need an answer to weather it will pass or not.

Nutter_John
28-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Give them a ring on Tuesday as I think there are certain rules that apply if things like brakes or safety equipment are the cause of the failure

John TheAntique
28-08-2011, 02:27 PM
No disrespect Dave but I think I'd rather know if I was driving a death trap round before I risked a new baby and wife in it

Davezj
28-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately i believe that if a car fails an MOT then it has failed and is no longer road worthy then it does not matter if it 11.5 months left to run on the previous MOT it has still failed and until it gets retested and passes it is not road worthy.

But as the john's say you would not want to be driving an unsafe car on the road, but maybe a talk to you friendly neighbourhood MOT tester will give you the full story. Maybe he could do a pre MOT check on the car for a small fee to see if would pass or not. Then if it would pass he can then MOT it for you. It means paying twice for the test but it would give you the option as to sell or keep.

Humpty's Revenge
28-08-2011, 05:24 PM
If you have a proper MOT done Dave & it fails that's it mate until you get the faults done.

If you have a provisional MOT that is not put through the system then your original MOT will still stand.

Wobble
28-08-2011, 05:35 PM
will give a garage a ring (not my normal friendly one ) on tuesday and see if i can do an mot test with out the actual mot cert.

you are right that if its a death trap then i will bin it regardless of mot expiry date but if it were to fail on normal things then i could mean taking of the road untill i get time to sort them out, most of which i probably have kicking around anyway like downpipes will need changing as the ones on now are buggered, so am sure it will fail but hopefully not on anything major.

Colin Wiltshire
28-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I think it's called a pre mot. where thy test the car but not produce a certificate.

WOODY72
28-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Most companies will not do a pre mot, because it costs just as much as an mot, so just bung it in mate and see what happens. Most of the stuff you can find out for yourself anyway. And yes mate, if it fails your old mot becomes invalid.

Scanny
31-08-2011, 06:15 AM
legally your car must be up to MOT standard anyway regardless of when it expires. if you are driving it on a public road it should be roadworthy and the police can do you for any defects although if my recent experience is any indication, they will allow you to get it fixed without any further action. i suspect that this depends on how you treat the officer though as they did warn me that they could have spot fined me but werent going to.

why dont you take it to a non MOT tester and pay them to check the car over? most mechanics will prep cars for MOTs so they will know what to look for so find a garage that is not an MOT station

Rambaud
31-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Have you checked your insurance policy? You may need a valid MOT and/or a roadworthy car.

Humpty's Revenge
31-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm not being funny but who checks there own car either every day or every week? Probably 1% if your lucky.

The only time we ever check our cars if we get a problem or hear a noise or something is pointed out to us.

The only people that ever have to check there vehicles are emergency services & breakdown companies! We all know that is fact!!

Scanny
01-09-2011, 08:57 AM
i have to check every truck and trailer i drive. tyres, lights, tax etc etc etc. i get fined if i take a defective vehicle out and get caught and the same rules apply to any vehicle taken on the public highway. i check my tyres 2 or 3 times a week and check my lights regularly. i even carry spare bulbs and keep more in the shed.

technically your insurance is void if you have an accident while driving a defective vehicle

exevoowner
06-09-2011, 07:19 PM
most drivers check there vehicle every day but being a temp driver for a company i have to do through checks every morning before going on the roads and my car and misses car get done every week as part of a routine

Humpty's Revenge
06-09-2011, 07:21 PM
:zzz:

Davezj
06-09-2011, 07:44 PM
i am taking mine for an MOT tomorrow
fingers crossed

Wobble
06-09-2011, 08:41 PM
haven't had time to let anyone look at mine at the moment ,

Humpty's Revenge
07-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Right I stand erected Dave!

If you take your car in for an mot & it fails the existing MOT is still valid mate.

This is what the guys told me at my usual garage.

Barney
07-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I believe a MOT tester is legally required to stop a driver removing a seriously unroadworthy car from the test station.

If MOT is taken between 11 months and 12 months of the test then the certificate will continue from the expiry date.
HOWEVER, if you take the test before 11 months, it will only run from the date of test, losing 1 month of validity.

[This is why I forgot the date of my MOT]

Davezj
07-09-2011, 11:02 PM

If you take your car in for an mot & it fails the existing MOT is still valid mate.

I am now sat sitting on the sofa!
I hear what you are saying steve, but is that law or is that just what he does as he does not contact DVLA to tell them your car has failed it MOT. if he doesn't contact DVLA then your MOT is still leagaly valid. but should he have contacted the DVLA that is the question.
i still believe that if a car fails an mot test at any time then the car is unroadworthy and will not be allowed to drive on the roads.

but that is just my thought.

WOODY72
07-09-2011, 11:09 PM
If a car is mot'd before the expiry date of the old one, THAT is the currant mot, not the old one, pass or not. It immediately goes on the DVLA computer when the certificate is printed.

Scanny
07-09-2011, 11:12 PM
I believe a MOT tester is legally required to stop a driver removing a seriously unroadworthy car from the test station.

apparently not. my MOT fail slip had a note from the MOT tester printed in red ink saying in his opinion the car was in a dangerous condition. it only failed on track rod ends

Davezj
07-09-2011, 11:20 PM
If a car is mot'd before the expiry date of the old one, THAT is the currant mot, not the old one, pass or not. It immediately goes on the DVLA computer when the certificate is printed.

that was my understanding,
and yes i remember now when i checked my other cars MOT history online at DVLA it showed all the test fails items and logged all the advisary and also the retest.
anybody can check the mot record of a car dating back to 2007 when this sort of database was set up.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_10020539

above is the link to check mot history
you need the reg number and doc ref number on te front of you V5 doc or the latest mot test number.

Rambaud
08-09-2011, 07:55 AM

That is correct. Although it might be prima facie evidence of an unroadworthy vehicle, and thus invalidate your insurance etc.

Humpty's Revenge
08-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Guys I can only go by what 2 professional MOT testers have told me! I too had a comment on a failure sheet just down to a side light being out stating dangerous condition. They cover there arse by stating this sometimes!

I'm not saying use an un roadworthy car I'm just stating facts given to me via a garage that does MOT's! A failure of MOT is an advisory sheet only of condition of said car & is for informational purpose only for the owner/driver!

Davezj
08-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I do get what you are saying steve and that is a fair point, because if you fail you MOT you do get an advisary sheet and you do get to drive your car away. if it is still covered by the original MOT. i am not sure what happens if the MOT has run out, can you drive it home or does it have to stay at the garage.
i am not saying you or anyone else is wrong steve, it just seems to be a bit of a grey area, which it shouldn't be considering how long most of us have been driving and how many MOT's we have put cars through.

i know if a car has no mot it can not be driven on the road, unless it is prebooked in for an local MOT (close to your house) and you can justify that is where you are driving to.

Humpty's Revenge
08-09-2011, 01:41 PM
I have read the back of a advisory sheet & it states that you may drive your car too & back again from an MOT to a destination of where the car is kept OR having it repaired.

It also states this is fair to do so but if the law wants to be an ass then it can fine you if they feel it warrants it.

A car without MOT is obviously illegal of course to be driven on the roads unless being taken to have an MOT.

Also states that if your vehicle is faulty your insurance could be invalid "As it has been said throughout this thread"!

WOODY72
08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
In an accident if you have no mot, the third party is still covered, but you may not be.

Davezj
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I have read the back of a advisory sheet & it states that you may drive your car too & back again from an MOT to a destination of where the car is kept OR having it repaired.

It also states this is fair to do so but if the law wants to be an ass then it can fine you if they feel it warrants it.

A car without MOT is obviously illegal of course to be driven on the roads unless being taken to have an MOT.

Also states that if your vehicle is faulty your insurance could be invalid "As it has been said throughout this thread"!

Steve this is a prime examply of RTFM, everybody has and MOT certificate and probably an advisory or two, i never even considered it would be written on the certificate. nice one steve you clever chap.
this puts me one step closer to an award given out by a Mr Darwin i believe!

Humpty's Revenge
08-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Steve this is a prime examply of RTFM, everybody has and MOT certificate and probably an advisory or two, i never even considered it would be written on the certificate. nice one steve you clever chap.
this puts me one step closer to an award given out by a Mr Darwin i believe!

Speak Ingrish dude?/bat

Davezj
08-09-2011, 04:47 PM
RTFM = Read the f**king Manual

i should have read the certificate!
but it is not something a man usually does.

Humpty's Revenge
08-09-2011, 04:49 PM
RTFM = Read the f**king Manual

i should have read the certificate!
but it is not something a man usually does.

Christ mate I really agree with you on that one! Whats a manual = something that's Spanish....../megawoot/megawoot/megawoot

Rixarena
12-09-2011, 10:13 PM
hay anyone called the DVLA to see if the old MOT is still valid? i guess the best way would be to just do a pre MOT then it wont affect anything.

Sam