PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Payments

gareth001
30-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Has anyone made a payment to someone in Ireland recently?

I'm trying to make a payment to Kiteman, but apparently English Postal Orders are no longer accepted in Ireland and Cheques are subject to a €25 clearance fee. Paypal again has some conversion rates that are not that clear to what it will cost. I'm trying to send £38 if that helps with any ideas? Not really wanting to send cash.

Thanks

Nutter_John
30-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Good post Gareth as I need to send money to Tommie as well and found out about the postal order as well

gareth001
30-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Good post Gareth as I need to send money to Tommie as well and found out about the postal order as well

If there is a group of us trying to send money to Tommie, maybe send in one bulk? Split the €25 clearance fee?

Nutter_John
30-08-2011, 11:20 AM
could do for sure lets see what Tommie says ?

miller
30-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Most mainline banks will charge extornionate amounts to transfer money bank to foreign bank.

Try CaxtonFx international money transfer account. No charges. Though takes a couple of days to set up.

How bad are the Paypal charges? May be the least hassle way of doing it. Or send cash recorded delivery!

gareth001
30-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Try CaxtonFx international money transfer account. No charges. Though takes a couple of days to set up.

Hadn't thought of CaxtonFX, I already have a international credit card with them, so possibly I don't have to setup anything.

gareth001
30-08-2011, 11:28 AM
If we can get a combined amount of more than £100, CaxtonFX is free to transfer money to Ireland.

http://www.caxtonfx.com/online_payment/online_payments.asp

Nutter_John
30-08-2011, 11:29 AM
well i have nearly 4 times that amount to xfer

kiteman
30-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Hi guys, only just copped this thread now. John if you wish I can PM my bank details to you.
If you and Gareth want to combine payments, thats OK with me also.
Tommie

Nutter_John
30-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Ok buddy will need you iban and or swift number

kiteman
30-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Ok buddy will need you iban and or swift number

Details on the way by PM

gee118
24-10-2011, 10:31 AM
i realise this is a bit late but the ONLY way to transfer between Ireland and UK (or Oz etc) is by using currencyFair.com.
I was iffy at first but basically, for a transaction like this, you set up an account with them and then you buy euros. Then you can transfer those euros for a fee of about 3.50 if i remember correctly into Kiteman's bank account.
The best thing about it is, you completely avoid the bad rates that the banks provide.
How?
The people you're buying the euros off are actual people looking to buy sterling. They'll settle for a better rate than the banks ALWAYS.
I've actually transferred some money at the exact exchange rate. Amazing. I couldn't sing their praises enough.

edit: I am in no way affiliated with currencyFair.com
I'm only a customer. After reading my post again though it looked like i was being a salesman.
To thank me for this info just PM

miller
24-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Its not the only way Eoin, see my post above number 5.

Caxton FX is similar setup, yet doesnt incurr any charges whatsoever.

I used this method when I bought a car from Longford and had to transfer cash to another member on here in Ireland.

I also use this method to top up my credit union savings over there when i have anything spare.

gee118
24-10-2011, 03:52 PM
:-) Yes, Obviously it's not the only way.
The thing with currency fair though is you get a rate practically equal to the ACTUAL rate. I haven't looked at Caxton FX but I presume they provide a rate only slightly better than banks like currency solutions..?

miller
24-10-2011, 04:07 PM
:-) Yes, Obviously it's not the only way.
The thing with currency fair though is you get a rate practically equal to the ACTUAL rate. I haven't looked at Caxton FX but I presume they provide a rate only slightly better than banks like currency solutions..?

I primarily use Caxton as a Euro card, as the conversion rates are second to none. The banks or high street cant get anywhere near it! An added bonus to the Caxton FX Euro card is obviously the internation funds transfer facility.

gee118
24-10-2011, 04:17 PM
second to none
??
:-) Have you checked currency fair?
Right now, with a base currency of GBP you can buy euros at a rate 1.1462
the current actual rate according to XE is 1.14797

caxton doesn't show what rate it offers clients online, can you find out now?
If Caxton is better I'm gonna open an account right now.

[edit] I found their live rate for their cards:
http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/
Currently 1.1220 (which is worse)
1,000 pounds xfer means a difference of Eur24.20. Isn't much, but if you're transferring 20,000 pounds for some reason that's 484 euro down the drain & that's at the rate that's "second to none"

miller
24-10-2011, 05:17 PM
€484 is a big difference, ill bear that in mind for the next time im transferring £20,000 :beatnik2:

WOODY72
24-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Lottery winnings? :P:P

gee118
24-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Hopefully it'll help someone out.
A friend of mine recently bought a car for £17,000 so it's not unheard of.
If I didn't think I was helping I'd not have posted anything.