PDA

View Full Version : Question please relpy Quick Quick !!!!

golden1663
11-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi everybody:
i had a VR4 just over 6 month, recently i put a EVC control until and running in 0.88 bar. I put it in rolling road to test and it only show i only got 229 bhp , Why ?????
is it something wrong with my car , i thought VR4 is 280 bhp , at least i can get 260 at the rolling road. is there anyone can tell me ?
how can i make it faster ?

golden1663

Big Ian
11-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi,what year was your VR4?

zentac
11-11-2004, 05:47 PM
280bhp is at the flywheel, I would expect a figure of about 200-220 at the wheels from a standard VR4. Which is what I think mine got.

golden1663
13-11-2004, 03:06 AM
Hi everybody:
i had a VR4 just over 6 month, recently i put a EVC control until and running in 0.88 bar. I put it in rolling road to test and it only show i only got 229 bhp , Why ?????
is it something wrong with my car , i thought VR4 is 280 bhp , at least i can get 260 at the rolling road. is there anyone can tell me ?
how can i make it faster ?

golden1663
my car is year 1999 and i only engine output is 227 bhp, whell output is 149.5 bhp why?????

_simon_
13-11-2004, 08:43 AM
How do they do the engine output measurement?? I've only ever heard of reading at the wheels. But anyway here is my 2c worth.

If the output at the engine and wheels is measured at the same time then there will be two devices aplying a load so this wil obviously reduce the power that each device sees.

Another possibility, are you using the right octane fuel?

Big Ian
13-11-2004, 10:25 AM
are your wheel's and tyres still a standard size?.....could the guy's who did the rolling road test not tell you anything that may cause the "power being held back?"
it does sound like a massive power drop,the kind of drop that a garage technician should at-least help pin point .....also,have you noticed any difference in power from before and after you fitted the EVC control unit?

i'm no expert but i have used rolling road's and they are alway's telling customer's what you/they can and cant do to get the power from your car.(they are just looking for more work+cash,)

Roadrunner
13-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Sounds to me like your car is running in "safe mode". In safe mode, the ECU reduces the boost to protect the engine and a drop of 60bhp or so is about right for that. Possibly caused by something like a contaminated lambda sensor or air flow sensor, but probably best confirmed by a Mitsubishi dealer who can plug the engine management into their MUTT-II diagnostic computer and give you a definitive answer. Should be relatively easy to fix once the problem has been identified. Mitsubishi are happy to fix VR-4s and there's a lot of knowledge here in the Club if you ask. If you thought your car was fast before, wait till you get it fixed! :D

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Brian

golden1663
13-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Sounds to me like your car is running in "safe mode". In safe mode, the ECU reduces the boost to protect the engine and a drop of 60bhp or so is about right for that. Possibly caused by something like a contaminated lambda sensor or air flow sensor, but probably best confirmed by a Mitsubishi dealer who can plug the engine management into their MUTT-II diagnostic computer and give you a definitive answer. Should be relatively easy to fix once the problem has been identified. Mitsubishi are happy to fix VR-4s and there's a lot of knowledge here in the Club if you ask. If you thought your car was fast before, wait till you get it fixed! :D

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Brian
had u ever happen to u before?

Nick VR4
13-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Does sound like its in Safe Mode
Maybe the EVC control unit is knackered ?
You are using SUPER unleaded petrol ?

Maybe the rolling road results are wrong I'm suprised that the people at the rolling road didnt look for anything obvious to cause this issue

I have read a few posts on other forums regarding very odd results from different Rolling Road tests done

Brind
13-11-2004, 06:37 PM
had u ever happen to u before?

Yes.

I bought mine and it was down on power but I didn't know any different.
I had a problem with it which was unrelated to power, so I took it to a main dealer to have the problem diagnosed, when leaving after getting the results, I had a huge hike in response!!!! so much so I almost over shot it into the centre of a roundabout! :laugh:

The reason being, their test equipment resets your ECU which also takes the car out of safe mode.

You can reset the ECU yourself, simply remove all power for around 20 seconds.
The reason mine went onto safe mode was simply the fuel that was being used by the previous owner or dealer.

Try using super unleaded fuel and then reset your ECU.