PDA

View Full Version : Alarm not sounding

quickrik
09-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Hi All

Just picked up a '96 Galant. Great car, but the alarm doesn't make any sound. When I trip the alarm the parking lights flash and i can hear the relays clicking on and off but no loud noise.

Where would I find the siren? Best place to start I guess.

Humpty's Revenge
09-09-2011, 08:18 AM
/Welcome the siren should be located on the engine bay bulk head or if it's not there it could be down either side of the inner wing that's if it's not been removed that is?

There should be a siren somewhere in the engine area!

Is it an aftermarket alarm or a factory fitted cobra one?

Nick Mann
09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
I'd guess it is a dealer fitted mitsubishi badged cobra alarm. They are known for this fault, siren needs changing. They are usually mounted by the battery when dealers fitted them.

CANDEE
09-09-2011, 11:59 AM
We dont get the Toads or Cobras over here, but i agree that the siren is either turned off with the key or stuffed...

Davezj
09-09-2011, 01:29 PM
I had an issue with my alarm where it would just go off when it felt like it or not sound at all.
it was all due to the placement of the siren. it was on the bulkhead just above the rear turbo.
this area gets very very hot when the car is running, and the heat is enough to break your siren.

fortunately for me it was just over heating on the odd occation. so after i mooved it to the bake master cylinder side of the engine bay just at the joint of wind screen and wing it has been fine ever since.

but if yours has never worked then it might be shagged.

Colin Wiltshire
09-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I have the same thing, lights flash but no sound, just guessed that it was on silent.

Davezj
09-09-2011, 07:02 PM
My alarm is set to be silent when arming and disarming , but think Rik is asking about the whole siren, it is completely silent even when the alarm is triggered.
Well that is how i read his post.

quickrik
09-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Yes, the siren is completely not sounding, neither when triggered nor when arming/disarming. So I'm hoping its just a problem with the siren being disconnected or turned off (not that I have a key).

So I'm going out to have a good rummage around the engine bay. Thanks for the replies people.

Davezj
09-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Are you saying if you set the alarm off as if it was being broken in to the siren will not go off, or do you mean you have only tried it when you you arm and disarm and it does not make any sound.

What do you mean you don't have a key.

Subaru ETA
09-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Some aftermarket alarms you need a key to turn the siren on and off.

What sort of alarm is it?

Nick Mann
09-09-2011, 10:25 PM
We dont get the Toads or Cobras over here, but i agree that the siren is either turned off with the key or stuffed...

Sorry! Fair point - I hadn't read the location to see that Rik is in NZ!