PDA

View Full Version : V6 throttle body on a VR4 with a twist!

Davezj
19-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Has anyone fitted a n/a V6 throttle body to VR4?

The twist is i have an auto.
The V6 throttle body is from an auto but it only has 1 TPS.
I have a spare standard VR4 throttle body from an auto so i can canibalise that, but i am not sure of the proceedure to do it.
I am sure i can work it out but it involves transfering the springs over and vacuum actuator and the other throttle position sensor and mounting bracket and etc.

GalantOnly
19-09-2011, 06:02 PM
The throttle with only TPS is for vehicles without ASC/TCL. On ASC/TCL equiped cars, there are both TPS & APS...

GalantOnly
19-09-2011, 06:04 PM
And yes, I do fit V6 TB on all VR4s because of the factory cruise control /yes

Davezj
19-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Sorry alex,
I think i missed a vital but of information from my first post, the V6 throttle body is from a n/a 2500 V6.
I have ammended my post.
cheers dave

Gly
19-09-2011, 08:44 PM
it will bolt on fine,

but will be missing tcl/asc bits

also.... there ate 2 TB sizes, (on the v6 range, na or turbo only 2 sizes) large and small
the v6 na TB is ALWAYs large,

and on the vr4 its seams to be a bit mixed,
and the plenum inlet is sized to match the tb size

you can bolt on the large TB onto a small plenum no probs
or you can bore out the plenum to suit (this is what ive done but i dont have the tcl/asc as my cars manual)

also the the water in/out on the na tb one is facing the wromg way for the vr, so i used a longer bit of hose

GalantOnly
19-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I use N/A V6 throttles from TCL equiped N/A V6! :)
This way I'm keeping both ASC and TCL on Vr4

Davezj
19-09-2011, 11:17 PM
i will post pic tomorrow of the n\a V6 throttle body i have and maybe you can tell me what type i have, and if you think it is possible to convert to work on a VR4 auto with tcl, asc.

post it tomorrow.

GalantOnly
19-09-2011, 11:26 PM
If you've only got one black 4-pin connector on this TB, it's non TCL V6 throttle. Then you can't use ASC/TCL on VR-4, Dave... AFAIK you can't transfer accelerator position sensor and everything else from VR-4 TB onto it. There's too much difference.

Davezj
20-09-2011, 07:08 AM
I thought that might be the case. That is exactly the situation i am in.
You have got all the info, thanks.
I will have a look around for the correct throttle body i need.

Gly
20-09-2011, 09:08 AM
why do you want a na tb on the car? whats wrong with the existing one?

Davezj
20-09-2011, 01:38 PM
n\a is bigger less resrtiction, not by much,
The VR4 is 64mm ish id narrowing to about 60 and the butterfly valve. area 2827.4 mm2 (pi * r2)
n/a V6 is 67mm ish id and narrows to about 66mm at the butterfly valve. area 3421.2 mm2

plenum would have to have the opening milled out a bit, but that is doable. 6mm in diameter make quite a difference to the area of the hole.

crazydriver81
20-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I do have V6 engine and I do have a non ASC/TCL VR-4 engine and loom... :thinking: Is the recognizeable difference worth the effort to mill out the VR-4 plenum?

Davezj
20-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I do have V6 engine and I do have a non ASC/TCL VR-4 engine and loom... :thinking: Is the recognizeable difference worth the effort to mill out the VR-4 plenum?

I don't think so as the vr4 butterfly valve is physically smaller, so milling out the vr4 throttle body will not be worth doing.
Sorry my mistake you are milling the plenum not the vr4 throttle body.
I have not tried this so I don't know.
But I would have assumed that creating a resticktion at the entry point of the plenum was not a good idea, but this is just a theory. It might be requirement and opening it up makes things worse. I just don't know.
All I can say is you are getting about 6cm square of extra space for the pressurised air to pass through.
which has to be a good thing?