PDA

View Full Version : Public release of Kanji 7201 ECU Def

kinkyafro
19-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi folks,

Following recent solderless 7201 flashing developments Nutter_John and myself have agreed that we should make our defs available. I'm looking forward to seeing where people take it...

Apologies for the untidy def (we didn't worry about making it nice). We never found the RPM ranges so there hardcoded into the XML and I'm not sure if the AT/MT ECU flag is publicly known so hope we've also brought something new to the table for the 7202 folks. If there's any questions we'll try to answer them.

Enjoy :D

Rich.

WOODY72
19-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Aah, now i understand it. :whistle: :rolleyes3 :speechles /YMaster

pbaron
19-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks for your generosity, I hope you both managed to make sufficient sales to cover your costs on the hardware approach.

Hi folks,

Following recent solderless 7201 flashing developments Nutter_John and myself have agreed that we should make our defs available. I'm looking forward to seeing where people take it...

Rich.

kinkyafro
19-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Here's the manual and auto 7201 rom images to save people hunting around for them.

foxdie
19-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Hi Rich,

Not sure why you've released this, 7201 flashing isn't going to be "in the hands of every member" for a while yet, but kudos (and rep) for doing so.

Happy to see we're slowly becoming a more "open" community :)

Might suggest you add a donation-ware style thing like Ken did, that way hopefully you both can recover some of the cost you invested in SMD (de)soldering equipment.

pbaron
20-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Ok, I have had a go at aligning this def with the 7202/3 ones.

Sections have been commented out where they look to need work on the addresses, all of the lookups have been identified and added in, have also added in extra boost control entries based on Kens disassembly work.

Still some work to do on this but need to get to bed so I can get up for work in 5 hours.

Keen to get some feedback from Rich and or John on the edits I have made.

Cheers

Hi folks,

Rich.

lathiat
21-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Where are there resources on 7201 flashing?

Nutter_John
21-09-2011, 07:24 AM
There is a thread on here about some Russian software that works on the 7201
you need either a Openport 1.3u or 2.0 cable and this software which costs $238 (US dollars)

Nutter_John
21-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi Rich,

Not sure why you've released this, 7201 flashing isn't going to be "in the hands of every member" for a while yet, but kudos (and rep) for doing so.

Happy to see we're slowly becoming a more "open" community :)

Might suggest you add a donation-ware style thing like Ken did, that way hopefully you both can recover some of the cost you invested in SMD (de)soldering equipment.

No I think you have missed the point here Jason , we have only released the def files and not our own version of the Rom - this will allow the others from around the world to benefit . It will also allow people to customise a Rom image and we will burn it onto either a new ecu or onto one of our ecu's

Nutter_John
21-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Ok, I have had a go at aligning this def with the 7202/3 ones.

Sections have been commented out where they look to need work on the addresses, all of the lookups have been identified and added in, have also added in extra boost control entries based on Kens disassembly work.

Still some work to do on this but need to get to bed so I can get up for work in 5 hours.

Keen to get some feedback from Rich and or John on the edits I have made.

Cheers

Just had a quick look and it seems fine , cant see anything thats a miss with it

pbaron
21-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Ok, I have completed the alignment work as much as I can.

The following 1D items are undefined as yet, will probably need some disassembly to confirm the addresses being referenced, that said they are not essential from my point of view:
Injector Size Scaling
Boost Cut Delay
Max Retard on Knock
Ignition Retard Max_Degrees_hex
Ignition Retard Max_Degrees_dec

There are no Periphery tables, can probably live without these ok.

Apart from this everything looks to be aligned with the (my) vr4base.xml definition for EM2004/5 roms.

I have added this as a second attachment to the earlier post above.

When I get a spare 7201 ECU will apply the updates I am running in my 7202 and see how it goes, I am not expecting any drama's though as most of the address translations had a one to one mapping.

Cheers

foxdie
21-09-2011, 09:02 AM
No I think you have missed the point here Jason , we have only released the def files and not our own version of the Rom - this will allow the others from around the world to benefit . It will also allow people to customise a Rom image and we will burn it onto either a new ecu or onto one of our ecu's

It's still releasing something you hadn't previously, and maybe I was hinting at the donationware side of things to hint at something else ;)

kinkyafro
25-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Ok, I have completed the alignment work as much as I can.

The following 1D items are undefined as yet, will probably need some disassembly to confirm the addresses being referenced, that said they are not essential from my point of view:
Injector Size Scaling
Boost Cut Delay
Max Retard on Knock
Ignition Retard Max_Degrees_hex
Ignition Retard Max_Degrees_dec

There are no Periphery tables, can probably live without these ok.

Apart from this everything looks to be aligned with the (my) vr4base.xml definition for EM2004/5 roms.

I have added this as a second attachment to the earlier post above.

When I get a spare 7201 ECU will apply the updates I am running in my 7202 and see how it goes, I am not expecting any drama's though as most of the address translations had a one to one mapping.

Cheers

Hi,

Yep never defined any of those as they seemed unnecessary the addresses in the def are probably still 7202 addresses same story for the periphery tables (except we just removed them) as mentioned the boost/fueling/ignition maps line up with the 7202 tables. The RPM/load scales also appear to line up but if they're in the rom there defined differently to the 7202 roms.

Cheers,

Rich.

kinkyafro
25-09-2011, 11:00 PM
It's still releasing something you hadn't previously, and maybe I was hinting at the donationware side of things to hint at something else ;)

We signed up for a commercial approach from the start Jason and a lot of the stuff we did hung off the back of work done by others (particularly the pre-ecuflash Russian 7202 hacking). So it's nice to feed something back in now that recent developments made the flashing method we use redundant and people are in a position to reflash there 7201.

Rich.

pbaron
25-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks Rich,

I spent some more time with this over the weekend and have identified all of the 1D table entries and the periphery tables.

I will upload the complete version later today.

I am thinking the finalised xml def and standard roms should live in a seperate thread or resource library that is moderated or locked down to keep it clean, discussion could happen in another thread with outcomes being rolled into the thread hosting the defs etc. This could include the 7201 defs and a consolidated def for 7202/3 ecus based on the EM2004/5 roms. That way any enhancements made through discovery in the EM2004/5 definitions could be applied to the 7201 def to keep them both aligned.

Any idea on how this would be implemented or if we should even bother? I have this now locally but that does not help the club without it being available to all.

Cheers
Pierre

Hi,

Yep never defined any of those as they seemed unnecessary the addresses in the def are probably still 7202 addresses same story for the periphery tables (except we just removed them) as mentioned the boost/fueling/ignition maps line up with the 7202 tables. The RPM/load scales also appear to line up but if they're in the rom there defined differently to the 7202 roms.

Cheers,

Rich.

pbaron
29-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Ok, here is the latest complete version of the 7201 def file. I have had to change the endian-ness of the RPMLimit scaling from little to big. Not sure what the go is with this one, it is probably not a uint16. With it set to "little" and the value changed from the default the car will fire and die when trying to start it. I had the RPMLimit wound up to 7996 and the car would not run. I must have used up 50 of the available flashes trying to find what changes in my rom were causing the problem.

I have applied all of the settings from my 7202 rom to the 7201 and taken the brothers car for a blast while logging with evoscan, got lots of knock with it at full throttle as the brother runs it on 91, reviewing the logs it was interesting to see that WGDC would max out at the current OctaneFlag value, which started at 100 and dropped to 95 and then 91.

I could not measure 2byte load but evoscans LoadCalc went as high as 205, this generated the most knock resulting in the OctaneFlag dropping to 91 and the AFR dropping to 9.4:1 along with timing advance going from 27 to 9 degrees to combat the knock.

This would indicate success to me in the ability to tune and flash the 7201 ECU's.

Nutter_John
29-09-2011, 10:23 AM
good work Pierre , will have a look over the weekend when i have a little more spare time

Shtiv
30-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Awesome work there boys, I've ordered the new hardware (was hoping it would have been here by now). Question I've got is that I have a plastic cased H8 Ecu with me, reckon this little sucker can be flashed now? I"ll grab a 7201 ecu over the next week also as apart from the H8 I have only 7202's lying around, I'll have a play also and keep adding info here.

Nutter_John
30-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Plastic ones tend to be the 7202/3 ecu so should be flashable via ecuflash . 7201's are metal cased and need the new Russian dongle

pbaron
30-09-2011, 07:01 PM
I would think that if you sent the H8 chipped ECU to Russia, support for the H8 rather than 7202 chipped ECU's could be added.

Cheers.

Awesome work there boys, I've ordered the new hardware (was hoping it would have been here by now). Question I've got is that I have a plastic cased H8 Ecu with me, reckon this little sucker can be flashed now? I"ll grab a 7201 ecu over the next week also as apart from the H8 I have only 7202's lying around, I'll have a play also and keep adding info here.

Shtiv
08-10-2011, 03:51 AM
I'm going to try it today (Must get off internet) every H8 I have tried does not work with the normal op2.0 cable and ecuflash, posible they were locked or something though. I have another here now plus the new software so we'll see. worst case, I'll post an ecu to russia.

For people's info over here the H8 is believed to be a pre 7202 model as it is found in the late pfl cars so the first of the plastic cases.

lateshow
08-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Yes it is named 7202 (without F) and cannot be flashed, and now it seems to be the only unflashable ecu.

Shtiv
08-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Not any more - see post 28 here
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?57512-Russian-ECU-software/page2

for some reason I can't link to the specific post as it doesn't ome up in my post list....

Shtiv
23-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Hey does anyone know the mut address for 2 byte load for a 7201?

pbaron
24-10-2011, 03:57 AM
When you find out let us know ok.

Hey does anyone know the mut address for 2 byte load for a 7201?

Shtiv
24-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Haha OK, anyone know what processor it's based on so we can disassemble? It's not H8/500....

pbaron
24-10-2011, 08:49 AM
From what the russians posted it is an M16C processor, but don't know what variant.

Haha OK, anyone know what processor it's based on so we can disassemble? It's not H8/500....

wintertidenz
24-10-2011, 07:53 PM
I always thought that it was a M16C/80 family chip. I did some research on it a while back, I'll see if I can find the documentation.

pbaron
13-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Have you made any progress with the 7201 disassembly and 2 Byte Load Steve?

Shtiv
16-11-2011, 01:31 PM
No Sorry, I'm trying to catch up with Bill and Kenneth on 7203 stuff at the moment, not doing very well at catching them either!

Eurospec
16-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Good on you guys for putting it out there!

Cheers,

Ben.

pbaron
07-01-2012, 02:33 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any amendments to the updated 7201 defs I posted a while back, have those that are using them found any problems that you have worked through and fixed that could be published here.

2byte load is still outstanding, has anyone made any progress identifying the mut table entries necessary to get this working?

Cheers
Pierre

BCX
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any amendments to the updated 7201 defs I posted a while back, have those that are using them found any problems that you have worked through and fixed that could be published here.

2byte load is still outstanding, has anyone made any progress identifying the mut table entries necessary to get this working?

Cheers
Pierre

I've got a slightly better def which i'll release as part of my new defs when i get around to cleaning them up.

Nothing major though, i dont have access to MMCflash and a 7201 ecu to actively look and try a few things.

lateshow
09-01-2014, 07:49 PM
The given address for injector scaling must be wrong since it doesn't have the same value as the right injector scaling.

scott.mohekey
09-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Are we sure the injectors are the same?

lateshow
09-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Yes we are. The roms should have same values all over.

BCX
10-01-2014, 12:47 PM
its the same value.

I'll have to dig up my 7201 defs. I have this defined.

lateshow
10-01-2014, 04:24 PM
its the same value.

I'll have to dig up my 7201 defs. I have this defined.

Thanks, as I suspected- 00118 is wrong too. The quicker the better since my friend wants E85 on his ride :) With the scaling 29241/x this one should read 366 as stock. And I have no idea how to look for this. I can only look for series of hex values (known bigger maps etc)

Then if you have the real cranking primer (not the "after primer" which has the value of 147 in the first cell, this is labeled to be the cranking but is not.

darren1976
27-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Can you map a 7201 ecu having problems getting hold of foxdie