PDA

View Full Version : legnum st-r misfire cough when foot goes down

Gary str
21-09-2011, 11:16 PM
I am sure this is common i have not got a compatable fault code reader atm to check but i will run through what i have done

replaced dizzy rotor leads and plugs all standard replacements all correct checked for vacum leaks solved one at throttle body but it was not the problem

I have a feeling that it may be the coilpack at the throttle body/dizzy (note this is a str not vr4)but not sure also worried its a sensor issue it

it idles fine and fuel is good also fuel is getting there fine

looking idea or anything i can do to test sensors etc

will be doing fuel filter next while sorcing a code reader

cheers in advance

Nutter_John
22-09-2011, 07:00 AM
does the shorting of pin 1 and 4 on the obd port not give the same results as on a vr4 - ie the fault codes ?

Subaru ETA
22-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Why don't you flash the codes out - don't need a code reader then

Subaru ETA
22-09-2011, 07:02 AM
John beat me to it! :p

elnevio
22-09-2011, 07:34 AM
You can't access the full guide that is on here, but there is a useful free guide on eBay (http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-fault-code-reading-amp-clearing-guide_W0QQugidZ10000000002365819).

It doesn't have the comprehensive code listing that we have, but if you dig out the codes and post back up here, hopefully that will help with giving pointers.

By the way, the guide shows pin 1 as needing to be grounded. The easiest way of doing this is, as John has said, to ground it to Pin 4, which is an earth.

Also, don't bother getting a universal code reader. It might be able to connect to the diagnostics OBD port, and seem to report stuff back, but the system used by Mitsubishi is NOT OBD, so the universal code readers do not report correctly.

crazydriver81
22-09-2011, 11:52 AM
reading fault codes is the same, regardless if VR-4 or any other 8G Galant/Legnum

Was there a flashing / ligthing up CEL* (*check engine light)?

If not, my bet would be:
- distributor cap - corroded contacts
- spark plug leads - check for damage
- spark plugs - old/broken/wrong gap
- dirty air filter

Remember, I still have a complete engine sitting in the workshop, so if you need anything, let me know.

Gary str
22-09-2011, 04:05 PM
ok cheers all i wil try the flashin to get codes later tonight

Gary str
22-09-2011, 07:00 PM
ok got codes but no further on as all these things have been looked at proably why they are coming up as i had them disconnexted or replaced
how do i reset the codes delete cam as it were ?
13 airflow
64 alt fr
12 airflow
14 tps

nuthin seems to get read of the hesistation then grumbling misfire thinking its coil relate myself or cam sensor ?

Nutter_John
22-09-2011, 07:04 PM
disconect the battery for a few mins and the codes will clear

crazydriver81
22-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Could very well be, that these are old falt codes if the battery was not disconnected during your ownership. First to do: disconnect the battery for 10mins and see whats happening then.

From the fault codes I would guess that the air flow sensor may be faulty. Good luck!

Gary str
22-09-2011, 10:11 PM
cheers took neg off there will try codes again before work in the morn i have 2 air flow meters can't imagine both are bad but if code comes up again i will trace airflow wires back to ecu to check their ok before trying another airflow meter

thanks

Gary str
23-09-2011, 08:20 PM
ok so codes clear started car then checked again no codes engine managment light just flashes repeat no order
i am certain this must be a sensor that cannot be tested really like a cam sensor this is working in that car goes off when unplugged but have heard you need an osciloscope to check them properly also there may be dirt on the magnetic pick up or something
any ideas guys ?

Gary str
25-09-2011, 05:39 PM
went to remove cas sensor noticed timing belt is original not good at all i can't belive it hadn't slipped a tooth but all seems well as it is still timed hopefully a cas sensor will sort it but have to wait on getting money for a timing belt kit and pump now too.

crazydriver81
26-09-2011, 10:18 AM
good you have realized it before the belt has snapped. ;) Hope it's an easy fix. Don't you have a Mitsubishi dealer nearby? He could have checked the car with the MUT-III thingy and will see easily, if there is a sensor fault or other issues.

Again, still have the complete engine if you need spares. :D

Gary str
26-09-2011, 10:32 PM
well no mot means hard to drive to dealer i ain't payin either lol i think the cas sensor is a funny one an osciloscope can be used when out of car to check values or something i will give u a shout for bits when i know what is needed oh heard a loud noise when reversing full lock reckon need a cv joint front left keeps adding up :)

crazydriver81
26-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Before you start to replace CV joints - I do have complete driveshafts spare as well :P

Sorry for thread hijack...

Gary str
27-09-2011, 06:51 PM
i will pm u about drives mate cheers