PDA

View Full Version : Stone Chipped

Darren
02-07-2003, 08:52 PM
The front valance on my car is getting seriosly stone chipped, it looks like I've been driving through ash. When I got the car a year and a half ago it was pristine, I suspect the dealer may have resprayed it and not put proper hardener in or something. How much do you recon it would cost to have the front bumper resprayed ? the local dealer INSERT INTO post VALUES (pearson in Benton) quoted £450. :Cry1:

Brind
02-07-2003, 08:57 PM
You can get these companies that come out to your home and touch in stone chips to make them virtually invisable.
Or you can buy chip sticks and touch it up your self.

£450 just for a front bumper is outrageous, you can get a rough/decent complete car blow over for that kinda money.

Darren
02-07-2003, 09:07 PM
It's well beyond touching up though, I'll try and get a pic. If nothing else it will raise a smile as you wonder how it got in that state.

What's a blow over ?

Brind
02-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Complete car respray.

haydar
02-07-2003, 10:25 PM
The shark nose on the the VR4 is very prone I've found to stone chips. I resprayed mine INSERT INTO post VALUES (very expensive) 2 years ago. It now back looking as bad as it used to be! Most annoying though I was passing a truck a couple of weeks back on the motorway, when something fell of and hit the bonnet. It's left a lovely stone chip!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Darren
03-07-2003, 11:59 AM
See

Nick VR4
03-07-2003, 01:31 PM
Blimey :eek:
I thought you meant a small few marks on the front
Looks like you have been rallying in it ;)

£450 sounds way to much
Try looking in the phone book or I have found this place
http://www.dentwizard.com/uk1/index.html

This dent wizard place I'm sure does stone chips as well
And if not there bound to know who does
Most places charge around £80 per panel but you can normally come round to a agreement on the price of other panels

Brind
03-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Darren
I suspect the dealer may have resprayed it and not put proper hardener in or something.
I'd say it definitely hasn't been done right.

£450 is without doubt way over the top, don't even consider it.
Ask around.. I'm sure you must know someone who knows someone and get it done cheap.
Some Valet companies do it.

I have a couple of small marks on the front of my bonnet whereas you don't seem to have which proves that your bumper has been completely resprayed - incorrectly.

Spirit
04-07-2003, 12:32 AM
:Cry1: That's nasty !

Anyhow, I agree with Nick and Brind, you are being ripped off if you pay that sort of money ! I reckon Nick is about right - around £80-£100 per panel and no more.

Pete

haydar
04-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by spirit979
:Cry1: That's nasty !

Anyhow, I agree with Nick and Brind, you are being ripped off if you pay that sort of money ! I reckon Nick is about right - around £80-£100 per panel and no more.

Pete

Yes definitely being ripped off. Just check the price of a brand new panel, the bumpers come pre-painted I think and I'm sure they'd be cheaper than £450.00.

Darren
04-07-2003, 11:04 AM
I spoke a guy who sells VR4's he said 150 from the guy he uses for a full bumper respray. I Think that sounds reasonable. What you you think ?

Originally posted by Nick VR4

Looks like you have been rallying in it ;)

Well Kielder is just up the road and I do have a tendeancy to get lost a lot :p

Spirit
04-07-2003, 10:34 PM
Thats more like it Darren :)

I would check out this guys work first if possible to make sure he is good as cheaper is not always better.

Pete

Darren
06-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Wonder how much for a full black respray :p

Darren
08-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Well folks, it's booked in. I'm getting the front bumper stripped and sprayed INSERT INTO post VALUES (150); the drivers door INSERT INTO post VALUES (small but nasty gouge) redone INSERT INTO post VALUES (60) and a full machine treatment to make it gleam. INSERT INTO post VALUES (40)

Should leave no blemishes when I come to sell it. So for 250 I'm getting all that done.

By the way Brind the guy said "But tha's nee undercoat on it, th've just got a brand new bumper and sprayed ower it, the' must a been a reet bunch of clowns that did this. Who was it?"
My reply "The mitsubishi dealer"
It made his day :)

He had some great cars, FTO's, Scoobys, a mint Supra, shoguns, MR2's, all imports for A1 Performance. Looks like I've found a good one.

For the folks up north, it's Cramlington Accident Repair Center. They are behind the Cramlington Ford Garage. I'll post a report on his work when it's done.

Darren
19-07-2003, 05:16 PM
The car has been done and they done a great job, I'm well chuffed. As soon as the dealer saw it they upped my trade in price from 3200 to 4000 :)

Brind
25-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Can't be bad! :)

I saw a stone chip/scratch removal kit you can buy from Halfords, can't remember costs but it looked pretty good!
I've got a few marks on my bumper and a couple on the bonnet, I may get a kit and give it a try.

Darren
26-07-2003, 08:41 PM
is that the pens ? i had those, the colour match is spot on. don't use the abrasive bit though. It's ****e

Brind
27-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Yeah the pens, it looked very good, although I'm not really a Halfords fan.
I might get a kit as I've got a couple of marks on mine, I appear to have picked up a few more today going up to J.A.E. hopefully just a polish will take them out but there are some bigger ones that could do with touching up.

ritch_w
06-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Non VR4 galants are exactly the same - my 2002 v6 sport looks as if it has been peppered at the front - only done 21k.....

£100 - 150 is the right money for a front end/ bumper respray