PDA

View Full Version : Need some tyres and discs....

marsh
17-11-2004, 08:45 PM
My Vr4 could do with a bit of fettling, I'm after some decent (but cheap) rubber, the wheels are standard but I'd like some recommendations as I'm new to VR4 ownership.

Secondly, my brakes are........er........a litlle lumpy. I've read into the brake issues on here, but didn't really come to any conclusions. Can anyone point me in the direction of some quality discs and pads for a man with a budget?.

Ta muchly.

Lurch
17-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Hmm, I don't know about the UK but will be getting my brake pads replaced (front and back) @ Midas shortly for $79 NZD :) w00t :)

Pete M
17-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Midas? You trust them? Brave man....

Nick Mann
17-11-2004, 09:29 PM
For the discs, do a search on National Racing. They are approved by many on here and the posts you turn up should also cover the others.

Rubber will probably be a case of shopping around and seeing what your local stockists have got too many of.

Lurch
17-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Midas? You trust them? Brave man....

Have one I go to all the time, havent had any problems yet :)

KiwiTT
17-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Don't get cheap rubber ... not on a Super Saloon ... get Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-DS.

Spirit
17-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Got to agree with Richard on this - cheap tyres and brakes are not worth the risk IMO on any car, let alone something of this power and weight.

Totally agree with Goodyear Eagle F1's.

As Nick says, the National Racing discs are excellent for the price, and compliment these with some Ferodo DS2500 pads and you have some quality stopping power. If you get the discs/pads from Woodford Garage Motorsport they will set you back around £230 delivered....bargain ! If you call them ask to speak to Simon and tell him Pete from CVR4 sent you ;)

Lurch
17-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Don't get cheap rubber ... not on a Super Saloon ... get Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-DS.

These are awesome tyres... have had them on several cars that I've owned :) Although tend to get really pricey 18" and higher, but well worth it :)

marsh
17-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Got to agree with Richard on this - cheap tyres and brakes are not worth the risk IMO on any car, let alone something of this power and weight.

Totally agree with Goodyear Eagle F1's.

As Nick says, the National Racing discs are excellent for the price, and compliment these with some Ferodo DS2500 pads and you have some quality stopping power. If you get the discs/pads from Woodford Garage Motorsport they will set you back around £230 delivered....bargain ! If you call them ask to speak to Simon and tell him Pete from CVR4 sent you ;)

Sounds like a top deal. Think I'll have me some of that.

And I guess you're right, the VR4 doesn't fail to amaze me at every outing. Making sure it stays on the road would be wise.....

Just been checking what I've got on my motor and I'm not sure it's right. I've got 3 continental 205/55R16W , and a Dunlop 205/55R16V what should I have on there???

Kenneth
17-11-2004, 10:29 PM
I also agree with not getting cheap rubber...

After riding a motorbike, I will never by cheap and nasty tyres.

With good tyres you can:
Accelerate faster (if you have enough power i guess :P )
Corner faster and safer. Especially in the wet at slippery intersections
Stop faster <-- Possibly the best reason to get good tyres.

The last thing you want to be thinking about when you get into trouble is "I wonder if my tyres are going to hold..."

that said, with your disks you might get away with having them machined down... depending on how thick they are. If you are into driving really hard though, new disks are a good idea.

KiwiTT
17-11-2004, 11:07 PM

Just been checking what I've got on my motor and I'm not sure it's right. I've got 3 continental 205/55R16W , and a Dunlop 205/55R16V what should I have on there???

Not right at all ! Well spotted. All tyres on a 4WD should be the same type, especially, one like a VR-4 which depends on correct feedback from the wheels to determine, how to manage electronically the torque distrubution, etc.

If you are staying on 16", it should not be too expensive to get decent tyres. However, you may want to consider 17" (as 18" maybe too expensive to run) If you do change to 17" the best tyre size is 225/45 which nearly equals the diametre of the original.

marsh
17-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Hmmmmmmmm..............

The first VR4 I was going to look at had some big wheels on it and they looked the schiznitz.

I can feel an empty wallet comming on..... :-D

KiwiTT
17-11-2004, 11:20 PM
I can feel an empty wallet comming on..... :-D

In more ways than one. But the rewards far outway the costs. It's one helluva car, as you can see on this site.

Kenneth
18-11-2004, 12:17 AM
In more ways than one. But the rewards far outway the costs. It's one helluva car, as you can see on this site.

You can say that again!

When I take my mates in my car I keep getting comments about them being pushed back in their seats!
I must be used to it already, because I just look at them, chuckle and then floor it at the next intersection :laugh:

Of course I cant floor it for long because then I would be speeding... and I wouldn't do that... :angel1: