PDA

View Full Version : New noise, input shaft bearing? something else?

lathiat
27-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Howdy Folks,

My car after a bit of a hard drive tonight has developed a new noise, it only happens from maybe 40KM/h up, once i put the clutch in, it goes away, but happens on accel and decel, and left right steering doesn't seem to change it.

It sounds a bit like the water pipes of a tap that is leaking very slowly. Kind of like a sshshhhhhhh sorta sound.

Anyone ever heard anything like that?

Cheers,
Trent

Nick Mann
27-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Sit stationary with the car in neutral and then press the clutch, hold for a few seconds then release. See if you can hear any sound changing then.

lathiat
27-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Doesn't make noise at idle at all from what I could here but i'll go try that now.

lathiat
27-10-2011, 06:34 PM
nah no noises then at all. is it pretty much 100% for that to be noisy with an input shaft bearing? i hope so :-)

unfortunately it begs the question.. what have i upset.

Nick Mann
27-10-2011, 09:44 PM
The input bearings I have heard do sound on idle, but quieter than when under load. I've never heard one absolutely silent at idle but noisy when driving. I'm not saying it couldn't happen though!

adaxo
27-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Faulty input shaft bearing can be clearly notice on idle, is like irregular knocks/grinding noise when clutch is disengage and completely quiet as soon as you press the clutch.

lathiat
28-10-2011, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Reading around online tells me the same thing, so, thats good-ish.. now I just need to figure out what it is.
Will hace to go see mr mechanic next week.

Nick Mann
28-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Wheel bearing is an instant thought.

lathiat
28-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Yeah thats what I originally thought but it doesn't change with speed at all has me a bit screwed.

I have one bad wheel bearing already (new one arrives next week) and its a totally different sound, hummy, changes with speed.. like what everyone else describes.

Nick Mann
28-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Is the noise louder in lower gears when accelerating?

wintertidenz
28-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Could be transfer case? Drop the oil and check it as a precaution.

lathiat
28-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Yeah I saw someone else mentioning transfer case making interesting noises.

As for lower gears and accelerating makes no difference at all, the sound never changes frequency or pitch. just comes and goes.

it interestingly does seem to happen sometimes when the clutch is in if I rev a bit.

so confused. be interesting to find out what it is.

lancerevo3
28-10-2011, 05:02 PM
as for wheel bearing theory,i had one that was completely knackered but made no noise what so ever .
prob a half inch of play but not a sound .
so i wouldnt rule one out just because it doesnt sound like it.