PDA

View Full Version : Evo master cylinder

The Vee
01-11-2011, 12:59 PM
This may be of interest to anyone who has the soft pedal after fitting uprated calipers. Have fitted the 1 1/4 inch bore Master Cylinder to the Galant which has always had a soft pedal since fitting the uprated brakes. They worked well but just didn't like the feel. This has been discussed before but thought I'd post my experience with it. Have to say it feels completely different, much firmer and less travel, to me more how it "should" feel.
The EVO cylinders do seem to vary from one model to another, so care when choosing. I think - but not certain - that mine came off a 7 - 9 so had to make new sections of brake pipe as the unions are reversed. Also had to swap the reservoir with my old one as the EVO cyl had the combined brake / clutch reservoir. Other than that bolts straight on but watch out for the pushrod adjustment in the servo. Dont want brakes locked on do we? :d
Now a little more info which may need verifying - The 4 - 6 cylinder appears to not need the brake pipe union mods and has the same reservoir as the G. Where it is not so good however, it has a different pushrod into the cylinder which would not fit my servo - but ofcourse with this one maybe you could swap the servo aswell.
Seems all a little trial and error as far as parts go, but worth it. Also of note, mine is the V6 servo as opposed to VR4 - not sure if there the same or not.

crazydriver81
01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
The Evo6 master cyl is a straight bolt on upgrade, have done it on my car after upgrading to Brembos. However, you need to adjust the pushrod and wind it in, otherwise the brakes will lock up. Had the experience when first installing the master cyl...

Only issue left is, that you have to reconnect the fluid level sensor, as the Evo one will not match your car loom. But again, this is only a job of cut the plug from the old master cyl and re-solder / re-connect it to the Evo master cyl.

I can confirm Andrews impression, as the pedal now feels like it should do, when you drive a 280 hp powered car. No more spongy feel.

MarkSanne
02-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Good info guys!

Mark 4
02-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice one Andy, this has been on my "to do" list for ages. Maybe I'll move it to the top LOL.

crazydriver81
02-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Make sure that you get the Evo6 master cyl from a car with Brembo Brakes, as this is the only one which has the 1 1/4 diameter and will bolt straight on. You can find the info on the inner diameter stamped on the downside of the master cyl.

CANDEE
15-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Hey Stefan, are you able to provide some photos of the part? Or the part number for the part or the chassis code for the car the master cylinder came off?

The reason why I ask is I have been through ASA looking for the part number and cant find a 1 1/4" master cylinder, only the 17/16" ones...

Gly
15-11-2011, 03:18 AM
its 1 and 1/8 or 17/16. on the evos, you need the 5/6 one, it will bolt on.

there is no 1 1/4

The Vee
15-11-2011, 03:52 AM
/sorry - my bad!! I notice I have put 1 1/4 in my original post. But I do have an excuse, I'm old.

CANDEE
15-11-2011, 04:19 AM
From looking though ASA I found that some of the VR4's actually came with a 17/16" master cylinder too....

crazydriver81
15-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Jeremy, I haven't got a pic from the master cylinder as it is in the car already. Nor do I have the chassis number from the car it came off. I bought it throug the MLR and the part came off an Evo6 GSR with Brembos. There is something stamped on the downside of the master cyl, but I am not sure what it was... :-/

Davezj
15-11-2011, 09:49 PM
i bought a full evo master cylinder and servo with the intention of just changing the whole unit and keep things simple.
it is a 1 1/16 master cylinder, but i am not sure what to do about the fluid level sensor as i don't have the the evo connector. i will to make something up to fit.

i was told something about evo's using double flared brake pipe ends not sure what this is and if it is true or what you have to do to make the pipe double flared, i have a pipe flaring kit but not used it yet.
can you make a single flare pipe in to a double flare?

CANDEE
15-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Jeremy, I haven't got a pic from the master cylinder as it is in the car already. Nor do I have the chassis number from the car it came off. I bought it throug the MLR and the part came off an Evo6 GSR with Brembos. There is something stamped on the downside of the master cyl, but I am not sure what it was... :-/

No worries Stefan, I think we have worked it all out. :)

CANDEE
15-11-2011, 10:30 PM
i bought a full evo master cylinder and servo with the intention of just changing the whole unit and keep things simple.
it is a 1 1/16 master cylinder, but i am not sure what to do about the fluid level sensor as i don't have the the evo connector. i will to make something up to fit.

If you are after a new one the evo6 GSR one is MR289079. :)

The Vee
15-11-2011, 11:23 PM

i was told something about evo's using double flared brake pipe ends not sure what this is and if it is true or what you have to do to make the pipe double flared, i have a pipe flaring kit but not used it yet.
can you make a single flare pipe in to a double flare?

Yep as per my orinal post itdepends on which model evo it's off. That's why on mine I made up short bridging pipe to get the correct flare in the right place. You won't be able to alter the flares on the mitsi pipe as it's steel. My bridging pieces are of copper pipe. My plug fitted fine as I swapped the reservoir over. HTH. I'll getsome pics up but in a couple of days as I'm away.

Wodjno
15-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Glad i could be of help

Gly
19-11-2011, 07:45 AM
having just fitted a evo 6 17/16" master cylinder, bolt on, no changing of pipes/fittings
and doing a fair bit of measuring

i had to wind the rod on the brake booster side in approx 1.6mm
otherwise the brakes will not disengage.

the easiest way to wind the rod in is, get someone to step on the brake pedal so the rod is the furtherest out position,
you can then use a pair or pliers to hold rod on the rough end and a 7mm deep socket to wind in the adjustment nipple

fassi1
03-09-2012, 12:58 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160871912122?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Dies Evo 4 master cylinder bolt straight on ir it has to be 5+ ?

Gly
04-09-2012, 04:10 AM
it will bolt on, but will be 1" so not an upgrade.

fassi1
04-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks mate