PDA

View Full Version : 91 Galant VR4 Boost Controller

lampsVR4
22-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Hey Guys,

I am currently attempting to install a dual stage gated boost controller from Turbosmart.

I have installed the t-piece and the switch for the controller, however, I need to disconnect the stock controller to stop it from overriding my new controller.

Can anyone give me a poke in the right direction?

Cheers,

Lamps

BTW: If anyone has a step by step guide to installing my controller, or similar, that might be really helpful to me.

Rally205
22-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Try doing a search for company called Road Race Engineering in the USA. I seem to remember that they had a good piece on the stock boost solenoid and where it was located etc.

Marcus :-D

lampsVR4
23-11-2004, 11:21 AM
I found out something today whilst tinkering.

The boost controller _is_ actually working, however, I can't get the low setting to go below 10psi (the theoretic stock setting).

Is it possible that the ECU will not allow the boost setting to be below the stock setting?

Is it possible to over-ride this? If so, suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

enigma
23-11-2004, 12:25 PM
For such an old car I doubt there was a boost solenoid, therefore the stock setting was managed by a wastegate alone. this is set to open at 10psi it would seem and it is doing so! the only way to make it open early and therefore reduce the boost is to apply an external pressure to the wastegate above 10psi. Why you would want to do this is beyone me though! :D

lampsVR4
23-11-2004, 01:24 PM
I have seen instructions on removing a Boost Controller Solenoid Restrictor for my series car. So I figured that the car has a boost solenoid.

However, from the instructions mentioned above, I have already removed the boost controller solenoid altogether, in order to install the new controller.

Thanks,

Mark

phatdat
10-01-2005, 07:42 AM
dnt know if a 1991vr4 and a 1992 vr4 are the same model but i have a 1992 model and also have fitted the same boost controler, alls i did was disconect the solanoid completly and hooked the actuator hoses from both turbos to the boost controller, by memory ther was another hose that needed to be hooked up and i need to connect another "T" peice in, so far it has run alrite.

lampsVR4
10-01-2005, 02:11 PM
dnt know if a 1991vr4 and a 1992 vr4 are the same model but i have a 1992 model and also have fitted the same boost controler, alls i did was disconect the solanoid completly and hooked the actuator hoses from both turbos to the boost controller, by memory ther was another hose that needed to be hooked up and i need to connect another "T" peice in, so far it has run alrite.

Thanks for the reply, I had sorted this out, but haven't been able to get the low boost setting to go below 10psi.

I really want to be able to do this because I am looking for a large gap between hi and low boost settings for fuel consumption purposes.

In a previous post, there was a suggestion to apply an external pressure to the wastegate above 10psi...if anyone could respond with a suggestion to how I could manage that.

However, the car is getting a replacement engine because I f'd it 2 days before christmas...not a great present...stupid water bypass hose!

TIA

Lamps