PDA

View Full Version : Tv screen, touch screen & hdmi input?

BraindG
20-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm looking to get a raspberry pi when they are released. Primarily to use as an in car computer, problem is the tv output is hdmi only.

Therefore, does anyone know of a tv screen big enough for 2 din slot, us touch screen and has hdmi input?

Cheers

Pugme
20-11-2011, 12:00 PM
check our lilliput hdmi screens. they definately do a 10" and possibly do a smaller one.

foxdie
20-11-2011, 12:03 PM
I have a lot of input to add to this thread, I'm very interested in the Raspberry Pi myself, but lying in bed typing on a smartphone doesn't make this task easy ;)

For now, take a look at this screen, it does what you desire but there are better solutions to talk about later in the day;

http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/shop/monitors/hdmi-monitors/lilliput-669gl-70np-c-t-7-hdmi-touch-screen-monitor

Nick Mann
20-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Get up then you lazy bu@@er!

foxdie
20-11-2011, 02:36 PM
*cracks knuckles* Okay, here we go! (typing starts at 12:00PM)

Just as a quick introduction to those not in the know, the Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/) is a credit-card sized micro-computer with the same amount of oomph as a modern smartphone, capable of playing Quake 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mDuJuvZjI) and playing back HD content (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgR74Kp6Ws4) (both at 1080P) yet with a RRP starting at a mere £15, these things are ripe for media centres, carputers and general hacking/modding use :)

Due for release in time for xmas, there will 2 models available, "Model A" for £15~ which provides 128MB RAM and 1 x USB 2.0 port, and "Model B" for £25~ which provides 256MB RAM, 2 x USB 2.0 ports and a 10/100 Ethernet port. Both models include the following specs;
700MHz ARM 11 CPU
GPU supporting 1080p30 H264 playback and OpenGL 2.0
3.5mm Audio Jack, HDMI and Composite video output
SD Card Slot supporting SDHC, MMC and SDIO devices
Numerous expansion headers, notably support for UART, SPI, I2C, JTAG
The device will run linux distributions, booted via SD card, which can be tailored to your needs so it'll work with you, not against you. Those users who are primarily used to Windows will probably not have difficulty as the interface will be icon-driven like most phone UIs (Android, iOS etc). In terms of expansion, USB devices such as thumbdrives and external hard disks, Wifi / Bluetooth dongles, TV tuners, OBD adapters, keyboards, mice, monitors etc can all be connected providing there's a driver available for ARM CPUs under Linux (there's a big support movement over the past 12-24 months to support various USB devices under ARM-based Linux as there's hundreds of other projects like the Raspberry Pi available, Beagleboard for example is one of the big ones).

That's the basic introduction of the board itself, the next paragraphs will cover the benefits for us plus caveats. I've been hoping to get my grubby paws on a Raspberry Pi for our SmokeScreen project (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?58759-SFX-Skinny-Fox-axiom-introduction), as the device has various expansion headers, interfacing with the real world will be fairly easy, there's a potentially limitless input / outputs with daisy-chained ICs (Integrated Circuits, or "chips"), for example using this ADC converter (http://proto-pic.co.uk/analog-to-digital-converter-mcp3002/) and this input multiplexer (http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=636) you can read 16 analog sensors and write a software app to display the results on-screen or log to a USB stick, all whilst listening to MP3s or watching HD movies :)

The Lilliput screen (669GL) I linked to before would interface with the Raspberry Pi with little effort, providing a touch-screen display operating at a native 800x480 resolution (on par with most tablet PCs), however the screen itself is a retail package, if you want it to look as if it was part of the car from the factory (something that myself and Atik wanted to do with SmokeScreen) then you're looking into voiding the warranty to strip the screen down then fabricate a mount to install it. There is a Double-DIN VGA Monitor (http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/shop/in-dash-monitors/7-vga-double-din-in-dash-touch-screen-monitor) alternative with a 12 month warranty available however at £300 it's not cheap and is VGA input only. On top of that, it takes up the whole double-din bay meaning no head unit for sound, aftermarket amplifiers can be used to power the car speakers but you'll need to invest in something like this Subwoofer Level Control (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/170629676283) to prevent potentially damaged speakers (and eardrums) from some software app inadvertently setting the Raspberry Pi's sound card volume to 100% :)

Another solution we thought at using was a smaller 4.3" screen (same one as used in Sony PSPs) mounted in place of the HVAC (aka climate) controls (and replacing the duties of the HVAC) however again this screen panel is VGA. Granted, this wouldn't suffice for video playback, but as a MP3 player / HVAC controls / car health monitor it'd suffice nicely. This would let you keep the double din for other purposes too.

Regardless of what VGA screen is used, as the Raspberry Pi doesn't have a VGA output and only has HDMI, this makes interfacing with other screens a challenge, however there's a brilliant ever-expanding wiki for the Raspberry Pi (http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard) with tonnes of information about interfacing it with various other technologies, and as various other projects such as Beagleboard have similar non-VGA issue, there's already starting points, see the HDMI to VGA Adapter (http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard#HDMI_to_VGA_Adaptor) section of the wiki :)

I think I'll stop rambling there (1 hour 35 minutes, jeez), I have much more to add but I think I'll let Baz and everyone else digest the above first :)

Ps. Nick stop being a meanie :p

VR457
20-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Very interested too though from the point of wanting a Hard Drive music system so i can play my WMA Lossless files.

foxdie
27-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Set your alarm clocks, 6AM this Wednesday, they say they're making an "announcement", they're probably gonna be on-sale :)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/716

It's one per household too for the first batch, might see if I can get around that somehow :D

BraindG
27-02-2012, 11:54 PM
/bounce

scott.mohekey
28-02-2012, 12:14 AM
They look pretty cool. However the amount of ram is a bit disappointing, as I'd much rather run android than fedora on there.

lathiat
29-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Looks like they launched today :-)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

BraindG
29-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Aye, but can only register interest on the shops they mention :(

Bit more patience I think :(

foxdie
29-02-2012, 10:18 PM
:ranton:

Well, I got up at 5:45AM to try and get my hands on one of these bast*rds, both suppliers websites were crushed with the load. No one was able to order any. I tried for 1 hour, then gave up and went to work.

By the time I'd gone to work, a coworker managed to slip one order in and they had all gone /Hissy

Looks like Smokescreen development will have to wait another month or two.

BraindG
29-03-2012, 08:08 PM
News just in...

Welcome to the latest Raspberry Pi update from RS!

We’ve had a lot of questions about when you will be able to place orders for a Raspberry Pi from RS. When the Raspberry Pi was launched we decided not to take orders and payment up front until we knew when stock would be available and be in a position to give you accurate delivery information. With the first batch of boards due to arrive into RS warehouses soon, we’ve started to contact the people who are at the front of our queue, so they know they are first in line to get a Raspberry Pi board. They will shortly be invited to place their order on our dedicated RS Raspberry Pi store, and will be despatched to customers on a first-come, first-served basis in line with customer registrations.

As we receive delivery dates for the following batches we will contact those next in line to let them know when they can place an order. This way, you know that when you purchase your Raspberry Pi from RS, we have the stock coming shortly to fulfill your order. When placing an order for the Raspberry Pi, payment and delivery details will be taken, and we’ll let you know when you can expect to receive your Raspberry Pi. An email will then notify you when it has been despatched, along with a tracking number for you to check the status of your delivery

foxdie
29-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Taking their merry bloody time! :D

foxdie
30-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Yay, nearly ready! http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/945

BraindG
30-03-2012, 12:52 PM
/Steeringw /woot /woot2 /bananaroc

sampsulo
30-03-2012, 01:12 PM
BraindG this is off topic but i think it will be best seen here...check your signatuyer...i think your css is cutting out the j's and g's...:)

wintertidenz
30-03-2012, 07:46 PM
One of my workmates has already ordered one - when it arrives I'll check it out :P should be about a month away.

BraindG
19-04-2012, 08:01 PM
More news just in

Great progress this week on moving towards deliveries and mass production…

Together with the Raspberry Pi Foundation we’ve successfully completed compliance testing and certification work for CE, FCC and C-Tick.
This means we are now starting to ship our share of the first 2000 boards that arrived in the UK last week.
We have opened our dedicated Raspberry Pi Store to those lucky people who were first in the registration queue to place their orders.
Now that the Raspberry Pi boards are compliance certified we have triggered our manufacturing processes to move into volume production.
As new batches of Pi’s become available over the coming weeks we’ll be inviting the next in-line into the Raspberry Pi Store to place their orders.
The next batch is already in production so we’re expecting more deliveries shortly and we’ll continue to keep you updated via our regular email and online FAQs.
And while we’ve been compliance-testing the boards, a number of engineers have been road-testing the product! You can see some first reviews of the Raspberry Pi at DesignSpark.com including Raspberry Pi and Custard. As the anticipation continues to build, our Pi Perspectives are getting lots of attention too – these are the views and opinions of leading academics and scientists across industry and education.

With any luck, by the time you read your next weekly update, the first Raspberry Pi’s will be out in the world. Thanks for your continued patience and please rest assured that your Pi will be on its way as soon as we can bake it!

chris_dono
19-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I had an email about this the other day, placed the order straight away! Hopefully I managed to snag one :D

BraindG
08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
More news just in.

Dear Customer

This week there’s more good news on availability of Raspberry Pi’s from RS and Allied Electronics. We’ve invited the next 4,000 people in our queue into the Raspberry Pi online store to place their orders. The second batch of boards are on their way to us, and we’ll be shipping those out direct to customers as soon as they arrive in our warehouse.

Many of you want to know when you can place your order for a Raspberry Pi. We’re making good progress with volume production quantities, and that will allow us to invite more people in to the store and place their order. There will be more news on this next week, so please bear with us while we finalise these arrangements. We will be keeping our promise to invite people to order in line with when you first registered with us, so no-one will lose their place in the queue as we move into volume production.

In the meantime keep up-to-date with the latest information regarding Raspberry Pi by visiting DesignSpark. Find out what happened when some initial Raspberry Pi users met-up to discuss using the board as an open-source tool. Read the latest blog from one of our DesignSpark members, an ICT tutor who has just received his Raspberry Pi. Or find out about how your board can be used as a media centre .

foxdie
08-05-2012, 02:43 PM
I just got that email too, however...

I got to play with one on Friday :smartass:

BraindG
08-05-2012, 02:49 PM
/bounce - what like? - did you get to do anything exciting or jsut fiddle?

foxdie
08-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Just a quick fiddle, installed debian on a SD card, fired it up, it's not amazingly fast, on par with an old P4 laptop, still usable though :)

Didn't try any 3D / video stuff, the fact it plays Quake 3 and HD videos @ 1080P is proof it's got guts.

I've got 2 on order (thanks Chris), hopefully get those soon :)

chris_dono
08-05-2012, 11:34 PM
I just got that email too, however...

I got to play with one on Friday :smartass:

Now your only issue is how the monitor is gonna fit in the dash :p

wintertidenz
09-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Try it with a high speed SD card - the SD card is probably the bottleneck.

Or boot it off a USB HDD if you can. It should be a lot quicker.

I want one to play with now :(

foxdie
17-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Yes yes yes!! Guess what just got delivered? :sombrero: /bananaroc

sampsulo
18-05-2012, 08:14 AM
oh my.....epic....so small....yet so much power...can already see where to stash it!

Wodjno
18-05-2012, 11:15 AM
It's a circuit board :confused:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

BraindG
18-05-2012, 04:58 PM
OMG! /bounce

and and and!!??

foxdie
18-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Already got Quake 3 installed on it ;)

(Got my priorities straight!)

Louis
18-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Well???, more info please :)

foxdie
18-05-2012, 09:20 PM
What do you wanna know? ;)

Louis
18-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Will it work with a touch screen?,
Can i use a ssd hard drive with music and video for playback?,
Wirelwss keyboard connection(bluetooth)?,
Will it run evoscan?,
Would it work with multiple usb connections (4way usb hub)?,
Would it cope with a 3g dongle for internet connection while on the move?,
:)

Louis
18-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Would it work better with a larger sd card, say 32gb or would that slow it down.
Also i saw a 250Gb usb stick recently, maybe a bit overboard, but it does mean that large usb flash drives are available, would that be better rhan a ssd hard drive ?,

wintertidenz
18-05-2012, 11:43 PM
You will be limited to USB speeds for the SD card and external HDD. That should still be quick enough (30MB/s) but not stellar performance.

It will work with a touch screen - as long as it's supported in Linux, it should just work. Evoscan won't work. You can use a USB hub - I would suggest a self-powered one.

Once I get one I'll make a Windows 7 Embedded build for it - so Evoscan can be run on it.

Louis
18-05-2012, 11:52 PM
starting to sound good! :)

wintertidenz
19-05-2012, 12:42 AM
If you get an SD card for it, make sure it's at least a Class 10 (150x card speed or above would be best, but they get more expensive). Anything else will just be painful to use.

foxdie
20-05-2012, 10:31 AM
*deep breath*

Will it work with a touch screen?

It will work with a touch screen - as long as it's supported in Linux, it should just work

I haven't tested it but I can't see why not, the hardware is definitely there (either USB or UART aka serial port), software drivers should be right around the corner if they haven't been done already as many people will want to use it with a touchscreen.

Can i use a ssd hard drive with music and video for playback?

You will be limited to USB speeds for the SD card and external HDD. That should still be quick enough (30MB/s) but not stellar performance.

Only if that SSD is connected via USB, i.e. with a SATA to USB adapter or USB caddy. And then you'll be limited to USB 2.0 speeds, which roughly equates to around 25 MB/Sec, given the SSD probably pushes out somewhere between 200-400 MB/Sec, it's a bit of a waste, I'd recommend a USB flash drive.

Wireless keyboard connection(bluetooth)?

Very strong chance this will be supported somehow, you may need a regular USB keyboard to set up the pairing though.

Will it run evoscan?

Evoscan won't work. Once I get one I'll make a Windows 7 Embedded build for it - so Evoscan can be run on it.

Not yet, all the distributions for the Pi are linux-based. I believe Windows Mobile and Android ports are on the way, those have a much better chance of having EvoScan ported to it.

Would it work with multiple usb connections (4way usb hub)?

You can use a USB hub - I would suggest a self-powered one.

Yes, if it's a powered hub. The USB ports on the Pi only have enough juice for simple devices such as mice and keyboards. Make sure you've also got a decent power supply for the Pi (5V with a minimum of 1A) or it'll get unstable (I was powering mine from my mac and it died on my, powered it from a iPhone charger and it works perfectly).

Would it cope with a 3g dongle for internet connection while on the move?

With the correct driver, yes, but again that'll draw too much current, use it with a powered USB hub :)

Would it work better with a larger sd card, say 32gb or would that slow it down.
Also i saw a 250Gb usb stick recently, maybe a bit overboard, but it does mean that large usb flash drives are available, would that be better rhan a ssd hard drive ?,

If you get an SD card for it, make sure it's at least a Class 10 (150x card speed or above would be best, but they get more expensive). Anything else will just be painful to use.

I've tried it with a number of cards now, the best it seems to support is 11 MB/Sec read and 9 MB/Sec write, those are benchmarks I did and published online (http://elinux.org/RPi_Performance#Results_5) using a 16GB Samsung Class 10 SDHC card which supports 25 MB/Sec read and 24 MB/Sec write.

Also beware, some cards are incompatible (About half of Sandisk cards are for example), please see the Verified Peripherals (http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals) page before buying!

BraindG
20-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Regarding evo scan, could we not just put VMware on it, then a w7 vm?

wintertidenz
20-05-2012, 10:56 AM
No point - ESXi would need most of the RAM to run. Windows Embedded runs on 128MB RAM from memory? It's much more lightweight because it's designed to be built for ONLY what the system needs.

BraindG
01-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Woohoo!

We're delighted to inform you that you are now able to place your order for a Raspberry Pi model B board from RS Components. Please click on the button below

foxdie
10-07-2012, 10:21 AM
So... um.... small administration error. I've ended up with a couple too many;

No idea what to do with them!

wintertidenz
10-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Raspberry Pi cluster!

BraindG
10-07-2012, 10:42 AM
So... um.... small administration error. I've ended up with a couple too many;

No idea what to do with them!

/pan - small administration error my arse :) - Greedy more like :P

foxdie
10-07-2012, 10:45 AM
/pan - small administration error my arse :) - Greedy more like :P

Heh!

I bought one each through the 2 different retailers expecting to have to cancel one (which I forgot to do), I also asked my mum to try and get me one in case I forgot (which I also forgot to tell her to cancel the order for). That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :rabbit:

chris_dono
10-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Grid pi!:D

Sent from my phone