PDA

View Full Version : Usb stick not recognised.....help :(

chrisvr4
20-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Evening guys.

My misis has a problem with her usb stick and i need some help lol

The stick has been working fine untill all of a sudden when its plugged into pc the error message appears.

She has alot of card making stuff on there so is there anyway they can be recovered?

The drivers are installed but pc is still not recognising it?

Ive tried it in other usb slots and try's to install but i get error.

Any help would be soooooooooooooo much appreciated.

sabreuk
21-11-2011, 12:20 AM
mine did this and the answear was to get a new one, the circuit board gave up on mine and had same error message. theres nothing you can do to recover it once its gone bud

Pugme
21-11-2011, 12:27 AM
have u tried it in another pc?

the next step could be try taking it to either a pc repair shop or a digital camera shop i know a friend who worked in a camera shop and they seemed to be able to restore images from damaged sd cards so may be able to help you

chrisvr4
21-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys :)

Ive tried the usb stick in 2 different pc's running windows 7 and a laptop running xp and still getting that f@!king message.

Theres just a couple of hundred quids worth of Card Making Templates etc and she's gutted to say the least :(

VR457
21-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Leave it for now mate and take Pugme's advice by taking it into a good pc data recovery place.

chrisvr4
21-11-2011, 09:21 AM
I emailed a company in the uk last night, they say that they can recover data from faulty sticks. Fingers crossed :)

Davezj
21-11-2011, 02:37 PM
when you do get the data back, tell you other half to back the drive up in future. and only use it for transfering file not for working on.

i know this is more easily said than done.

but it does take 2 mins to do and solves so many problems.

chrisvr4
21-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the advice dave. The reason we transfered all files is we upgraded to Windows 7 ultimate and her pc does not have a secondary partition to put the files on hence why we used the Usb Pen.

Well phoned one company in the uk and the prices were £249 is Nand Read (faulty controller chip) £79 Logical (partition or file issue)

If anyone knows of somewhere a little cheaper please get intouch if not i will send the Usb Pen to the above.

Cheers.

apeman69
21-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Try one of the many SD card recovery progs available on t'internet. Most are trial versions but at least you'll be able to determine if the data is recoverable by the software before purchase.
Professional data recovery, as you've found, is stupendously expensive for the time it takes and they must add 'got you by the danglies' tax.

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyThumb (TM) :)

Haggisman
21-11-2011, 06:24 PM
I had something similar when my SD card in my phone corrupted itself, I think I used Recuva (http://www.piriform.com/recuva) - worth a try perhaps.

Davezj
21-11-2011, 07:01 PM
I used image recall to get all the picture off my camera after my wife deleted them all accidentally.
But this sort of software relies in the fact the card/drive is still accessible/readable. And it sounds like your drive is goosed.
But it is always worth a try, what harm can it do.
Windows has a built in file recovery program in it but I think the title gives it away, as I believe it is called undelete.

chrisvr4
21-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys :)

Ill take a look later and see if i can somehow manage to retrieve the data even if it means paying for the full app. I dont want to mess around to much incase i fook it up even more lol failing that i phoned another place earlier and they charge £49 + 14.99 to retrieve lost data and supply a new card and a cd. Bit cheaper than the one above lol