PDA

View Full Version : Wheels/Tyres/Discs and Calipers

BraindG
04-07-2003, 10:47 AM
right.. been trying to sort out INSERT INTO post VALUES (in my head) what im going to get sorted for the brakes on the car..

as my tyres are screwed im going to get 17" wheels.. with the following dimensions being optimal for 330" discs..
235x45 x17
so thats offset of 45.. 8" width..

as much as i gcan gather from everyones posts, this seems to be fine, now. dependant on the spokes, brembo calipers should fit in nicely..

this can be taken from EVO6/7 as indicated here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=329)but..

here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=393 ) it says EVO 4 pre brembo fit on
:Ponder: :Ponder:
but am i right in understanding that EVO6/7 330" Discs and Brembo calipers will fit strait onto our cars?

cheers

Barry

BraindG
04-07-2003, 02:24 PM
this PCD correct 5 x 114.3 ??

cheers

BraindG
04-07-2003, 02:35 PM
ever heard of them?
website (http://www.first-inc.co.jp/)

SIZE OFFSET H/PCD WEIGHT
17×8.0JJ 45 5/114 6.22kg

BraindG
04-07-2003, 02:39 PM
link (http://www.wheelspecs.com)

Search for (this correct for our cars then?
Wheel Size BETWEEN 17 X 7.5 and 17 X 8
Wheel Offset = 45
PCD = 5X114.3

New search

Wheel Brand Wheel Model Manufacturing Method Wheel Specs Matching
Advan Racing Kreuzer Series V Cast 3
Advan Racing Model 5 Cast 4
Advan Racing Model 7 Cast 4
Advan Racing RC-II Cast 3
Advan Racing RG Cast 2
Advan Racing Siena SR01 Cast 3
Advan Racing VS-5 1
BBS LM 2
BBS RG II 1
BBS RG-R 1
BBS RR 1
Buddy Club P1 Racing II Cast 3
DKF Forzzart 1
KYH Circlar GTA Roll Forged 4
KYH Tracer Roll Forged 3
Volk Racing F-Zero Challenge 1
Volk Racing F-Zero Trophy 1
Volk Racing Winning 1
WedsSport RS-5SS TSSC 4

bit of a ghey selection really :(

i like "Advan Racing Kreuzer Series V" though :cool1:

Roadrunner
04-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Barry,

235x45 x17
so thats offset of 45.. 8" width..

Er, not quite. 235 is the width of the tyre in millimetres, 45 is the section height INSERT INTO post VALUES (or profile - the "height" of the tyre from rim to edge) and is equal to, in this case, 45% of the width of the tyre, 17 is the wheel size on which to fit the tyres.

Optimum tyre size for the Galant is probably 225/45x17 on 7.5" rims which won't foul the rear arches. I have 235/45x17 on 8" rims from an Evo VII which are fine but do foul slightly when the car is fully loaded INSERT INTO post VALUES (i.e. four adults and luggage). I went for Evo VII wheels because I wanted the Evo Brembos which, for obvious reasons, were bound to fit :) .

The front Brembos from the Evo V/VI/VII are 322mm diameter, 32mm width. Rears are 294mm x 24mm, IIRC, but I haven't fitted these yet. Standard VR-4 discs are 294mmx28mm front, 284mmx24mm rear.

Brian

BraindG
04-07-2003, 03:25 PM
so you have brembos on your car? if so, what kind? and was there much fuss to get them on?

BraindG
04-07-2003, 03:56 PM
bleh, didnt read it right.. you havent fitted them yet...

any info on calipers? im clue less, and desperate :bawling: and I hate driving my car, like an old fart..

EdmundVR4
04-07-2003, 07:51 PM
BraindG, I agree with H.7 that 225/45/17 on 7.5" wide rims would be the size I would go with if I had to do iat all over again. I have 235/45/17 on 17"x8" with 40 offset and I get some rubbing on the front wheel wells when driving very fast on bad roads. I believe the Tiptronic models have wider fenders than the manual transmission models also. Check out the OZ Racing Super Leggera wheels, lighweight, strong and great looking.
Ed

Spirit
04-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Barry

You asked me about my wheels, all I can confirm is that they are 17" and made by Hokuto Racing in Japan INSERT INTO post VALUES (and the model of them is Hiryu) - they are not available over here as far as I can see.

I currently have Stunner Scudo tyres fitted. I have these as Castlecroft fitted four new ones when they had my car back in April and I only had to pay £100 towards the four of them. They have a Pirelli pattern to them and are W rated INSERT INTO post VALUES (168mph).

In terms of your brakes - the upgrade you are talking about is gonna cost I suppose £1500 ? Why not try what I have done for now and see how it goes - I have National Racing eight grooved discs INSERT INTO post VALUES (standard size) and Ferodo DS2500 pads INSERT INTO post VALUES (same as fitted with an AP Racing 6 pot upgrade) - all for £202 plus P+P from my local contact.

Pete

Roadrunner
05-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Barry,

I bought a full set of second-hand Brembos from an Evo VII FQ300 that had done about 1500 miles - paid £500 for front 4-pot calipers, discs and pads & rear 2-pot calipers and pads, from an advert on the MLR.

The fronts fitted no problem, just had to ditch the disc back plates. It took a little time to find out that the rears would be just as simple, but I'd need to change the rear discs for Evo discs too - they're on order and expected any day now. Part of the handbrake mechanism is attached to the rear disc back plate so the lip of the back plate will need to be machined off, otherwise it's a straight swap. I should have the rears fitted sometime next week, with a bit of luck.

I can recommend this upgrade - for the price, it's been a big improvement over the standard setup - but it does need 17" wheels with sufficient clearance for the front calipers, which are HUGE!, which is why I went with the Evo VII wheels too. Offset of the Evo wheels is 38, IIRC.

Brian

BraindG
05-07-2003, 10:59 PM
cool.. thanks!

my cars going in to get sorted next weekend, hence my "freaking" out episode, not that you could really notice it from here.. but at work on friday, i was pulling hair out trying to get something sorted...

still need to figure out what wheels i want.. fingers crossed should have, 17" brembos, and lowered springs for JAE.. atleast, ill be able to drive the car like a man again, and not like an old fart..

Brian.... one last thing, do you know the model number of them brembos? if not its cool, im sure i can figure out what they are... would jsut save some time,..

cheers for the info guys..

Barry

Roadrunner
06-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Sorry Barry, I don't have model numbers for the Brembos, but the same brakes are standard fitment on the Evo V, VI and VII INSERT INTO post VALUES (not sure about the VIII) so generally lots available on the second-user market as peeps upgrade to AP 6-pots, etc.. I've seen unused ones for sale for £1500 the set so very pleased with my purchase :)

Brian

BraindG
07-07-2003, 09:15 AM
ta muchly!! ill keep you guys posted as to whats going on..

thanks again..

calum
07-07-2003, 08:39 PM
If you change the width of the wheels you sometimes need to change the offset too.

Use this page to see the differences.

http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

Calum

ACS22
19-09-2003, 07:35 PM
I am doing the same at the moment.
I have bought a set of Evo 6 wheels, AP dics 355mm
and Brembo 4 pots straight off an Evo 7
What I am trying to find is some bells and brackets!!

any ideas!

wirdy
30-09-2003, 12:56 PM
If you can't handle those diameter x pi calculations then a useful calculater for working out your rolling radius with new wheel/tyre combinations is here:

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

I've just ordered four new 215/45/zr17 tyres from www.mytyres.co.uk INSERT INTO post VALUES (Vredestein sportrac 2). They couldn't be beaten on price, with delivery and VAT inclusive.
The only draw back is you need to get them fitted and balanced yourself and some fitters raise the cost of this service purely because they're not making anything on the tyres! commercial sense, I suppose.