PDA

View Full Version : It really sucks that you can't...

Ryan
23-11-2011, 04:11 AM
add rep as a "registered user".

Why is this a "members only" feature? It hasn't always been if I recall correctly? I also think that it's bull**** that you can't edit your own garage. I thought that CVR4 membership's purpose was to allow one access to VR-4 specific information, i.e. how to's etc.

peter thomson
23-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Soon to be in the same position Ryan as I'm not renewing my membership at the moment

BraindG
23-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Ryan, please see the join cvr4 page for all the benefits of being a member, this has been stagnant since automated memberships came into fruition. As has giving rep.

ILLEGAL
23-11-2011, 12:17 PM
another happy customer Ryan? theres been many times iv wanted to give people rep but, well, lets just leave it at that. i hope to win a membership at the Auckland dyno day next year.. should have it in the bag as long as no one else shows /bat

Wodjno
23-11-2011, 12:49 PM
20 measley pounds /help
or 30 measley NZD, which actually equates to around 14 measley pounds /help
The benefits far outweigh the outlay!

C'mon lads! WTF is happening here? Surely if you can afford to run a VR4 then a fistful of Moolah can't be breaking the bank /Hmmm

Humpty's Revenge
23-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Right chaps could I ask why some of you are not renewing or becoming a full member please?

Glenn is right if you own one of these cars & spend some dosh on the car then you could in theory afford to join?

I'm not being nosy or demanding just inquisitive to why some of you have not become full time members or renewed?

We all appreciate that times are hard & people change but we all know there are clubs out there that are worse than this one!

Not saying this club is bad as it has got to be one of the friendliest ones out there?

peter thomson
23-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I've already posted my reasons in another thread and as things haven't been changed apart from being told to falsify details regarding phone numbers. Until those terms have changed for people who are not traders I won't renew unless there is something that I really need from the members area.
I don't expect these conditions to change though as there are not enough people actually saying that they don't want to supply all that info in the forum.

On top of that one reason was the amsoil discount that we as paid members should receive. We don't as it is applied to anybody who is a member or not. A discount is given whether you use the CVR4 code or not or it was last time I checked. I brought this up in the past and again no follow up.

crazydriver81
23-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, what to say to this. It's normal that people are moving on and at some stage, it does not make real sense to spend money on these kind of things here.

First I agree with John and Steve, 20 quid is nothing, compared to the knowledge found in here. This is worth far more than the 20 quid membership fee, especially because it enables you to do things on your own and not to spend money for workshops and mechanics.

Further the rep-function is limited to paid mebers, which is quiet good because it requires that you indentify yourself with these cars and the forum here. How can you judge if something is good/right info, without beeing into such cars and beeing an enthusiast? This means, how to judge if a post is worth reputation? Getting rep is possible for non-paid members, isn't it? It's the same like anywhere else (e.g. on a shareholders' meeting), giving your recommendation requires to be part of that organisation. Maybe we should see this forum as an "organisation"?

I personally see the huge advantage of paid memberships for such kind of forums, especially if I compare the comments and posts with the german (free) forums. With imposing a members fee, you select people and give special rights to them. This is to save the forum against SPAM-posts or most bullsh!t-posts. 70% of the german forums consisting of posts like "I know better than you" or "this is not road legal" or "I would have done it that way"... Further there is no technical database like on CVR4. From my point of view this is well worth the 20 quid annual fee.

On the other hand, I fully understand Ryan and Peter. Our cars are some days old already and most of the things have been "discovered" and said. So there is not much you would expect on such forums anymore. You are in a way "grown up" and have learned everything which was to learn for 8G's. :)

So it's left to anyone individually, to support this forum and the work of all people around, even if you know everything about these cars already. For me this is clear, I will support them further and I find that the rules on here are suitable. /yes

Ryan
23-11-2011, 09:29 PM
This probably won't be popular but oh well. Simply put, the club is no longer enjoyable enough for me to warrant supporting it financially. I don't agree with the double-standards and the secrecy surrounding certain committee decisions and the attitude of "toe the line or else" as set out in the needlessly complex set of rules. It's a forum for crying out loud, not NATO.

If one looks around, it isn't only me that hasn't renewed their membership (despite being a paid member for the past three years). This suggests to me that there is more to it than a simple subscription fee.

miller
23-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I didnt know that about the Amsoil discount....if thats true then thats a mahoosive kick in the teeth.....for years it was always stated to newbies that they would save their membership fee by availing of the Amsoil discount!

Though on another tack, ive just renewed for another year, whoever tries to ring me from my given phone numbers will hopefully after pressing their number 0 for the 6th time realise it doesnt add up! and i dont even own a VR4

peter thomson
23-11-2011, 11:02 PM
I didnt know that about the Amsoil discount....if thats true then thats a mahoosive kick in the teeth.....for years it was always stated to newbies that they would save their membership fee by availing of the Amsoil discount!

Though on another tack, ive just renewed for another year, whoever tries to ring me from my given phone numbers will hopefully after pressing their number 0 for the 6th time realise it doesnt add up! and i dont even own a VR4

exactly Mike and very disappointing it wasn't sorted when I first brought it up months ago. OPIE have been getting my buisness since then

VR457
24-11-2011, 12:09 AM
It's a forum for crying out loud, not NATO

Had to highlight this! Difficult balance in running a forum but becoming too risk averse doesn't help either. A good community should have it's mix of bods, geeks, idiots, sages and joes.

sabreuk
24-11-2011, 01:40 AM
if nato is getting involved ill have to pop around everyones house im my 24t mastiff thats designed to be unintimidating and ill make sure or should i say my .50cal will make sure the club gets your phone numbers ;)

ILLEGAL
24-11-2011, 06:40 AM
i have no need to pay for any info thats not allready free... i joined/signed up as a social sort of thing.. to meet and help new people/friends with cars as a mutual interest. so far so good.

Gly
26-11-2011, 06:37 AM
there are no perks to being a paid nz vr4 member.

no events, (organised by the committee)
no discounts,
and most of us have been around so long that the guides have been written by us, or we have already learnt what we need to

dont really see any difference in not paying.

CVR4 NZ is a dead club,

bingo999
26-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Just to say as a new paid member for the first time i have to say yes you are paying for the How2's and for a couple of stickers and a keyring, the main reason i coughed up £20 is because of the How2's more than anything else. i know NOTHING about these cars lol but i intend to learn. if the how2's were free like on the vectra, corsa, mercedes, forums i would not have paid. i do pay for the corsa D forum as there are about 15 of us throughout the UK who do some of the Extra Curricular stuff helping to set up and pack away at shows planning meets locally etc. for that 12 quid you get an avatar and access to sell and use the premier members lounge always good for a chat.

Like others have said if you can afford to run a car like the VR4 lets be honest with ourselves £20 is not that much in the grand scheme of things. so far i have found this forum very helpful and informative im looking forward to the ownership of my leggy, i have always liked these cars and feel privileged to be part of a very small amount of people who have a passion for these cars. 84 legnum TypeS in the UK on the road this year and from what i have read you are getting as many as 20 to shows.. thats almost 25% of owners! the corsa D's we get about 30-40 to car shows thats less than 1% of total owners of the corsa D.

I know a local club i am associated with the owner took home over £40k last year thats including his job but when he gets home he is straight on the forum checking things and seeing who else has joined. He isnt in it for the money he is there and still running it because he enjoys it.

rant over. you guys have a good club going here to everyone that i have had the pleasure to talk too thanks :) as for the help i have already recieved its been outstanding! if i put the legnum on Street Stylers southwest i would have all the chavs on there slamming it because they would be jealous. on the corsa D forum they think i have gone mad by getting one calling the car ugly.. it kind of it but its got character and soul. thats what makes it special.

alan
26-11-2011, 08:55 AM
ugly ? how very dare they ! presence is what it has,you can see it in their eyes when they keep looking in the rear view mirror.

bingo999
26-11-2011, 11:03 AM
ugly ? how very dare they ! presence is what it has,you can see it in their eyes when they keep looking in the rear view mirror.
LOL thats what i think m8 personally the galant reminds me of a shark

horndog
26-11-2011, 11:23 AM
On top of that one reason was the amsoil discount that we as paid members should receive. We don't as it is applied to anybody who is a member or not. A discount is given whether you use the CVR4 code or not or it was last time I checked.

Are you sure the code wasnt remembered in your browser?

I remember looking for ages for the code last time I bought some oil and got a discount, Ive just checked the website again and using the code does change the price

IIRC its Opie who now apply a blanket discount?

peter thomson
26-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Are you sure the code wasnt remembered in your browser?

I remember looking for ages for the code last time I bought some oil and got a discount, Ive just checked the website again and using the code does change the price

IIRC its Opie who now apply a blanket discount?

I received the discount without even using the code and tried it on a different pc

VR457
26-11-2011, 04:07 PM
If you are experienced then probably the forum info is what you already know. For me, some of the advice, support and parts i get of members is a godsend. I try to give something back that i think might help others as not everyone is always up to speed. Besides, some of the topics become so old that its hard to search for and find the info so someone raising the matter again helps.

peter thomson
26-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I have always been willing to help and still have a pretty extensive range of parts at home but as mentioned in another post don't want to be considered a trader nor be forced to supply some info in the new registration form. Are the committee considering anything posted here or Barry as the site designer as I assume he will always have the final word on the direction of the forum

TAR
26-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Some interesting views.... I wonder how long the club could continue to host the site without those of us who pay the membership fee.... nothing in life is free.

:happy:

Spirit
26-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Some interesting views.... I wonder how long the club could continue to host the site without those of us who pay the membership fee.... nothing in life is free.

:happy:

Well I'm sure the club still has sufficient fund reserves to continue for a few years, but the hosting costs are very expensive I can assure you !

amsoil
04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
I received the discount without even using the code and tried it on a different pc

Guess the members for the last few years will have to be educated all over again. I am Amsoil in the UK and most of Europe. There is a discount shown in the members area, and only the members area, should you care to search for it. You cannot buy Amsoil directly from me, the importer, unless you use my site here Performanceoilsltd.co.uk and you wont get the discount unless you use the club members code.
I give 1 special discount per year to ClubVR4 members only, it will be coming up soon, it will be for ATF and save you well over a years membership, could be 2 so make your own decisions. Hopefully I will pull my finger out and get an Amsoil banner put on the site. This will differentiate better between Opie one of our customers/dealers and us the Importers.
If you want real advice on oil then just ask, it will be totally unbiased, to the unbelievable surprise of those who dont know me. I will not steer you to our products nor as others may do to those that give the best profit margin. Enough said,
Well not quite, our discount on Amsoil is larger for obvious reasons!