PDA

View Full Version : Cannonball run nz...

ILLEGAL
23-11-2011, 12:26 PM
http://www.aucklandmotorsport.co.nz/home/

im attending with the "SMOKE MACHINE" next year.. cost $125 per car.... and its best to have a few mates along for the ride.. will be travelling approx. 300kms over a day.. THIS IS NOT A RACE!!!

roryfromnz
23-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Now THAT looks like fun!! :-D
Cheers for the heads up Richard!

maori_by_nature
29-12-2011, 05:31 AM
so is anyone going on this apart frm me and richard?

Sent from my GT-I5503T using Tapatalk

roryfromnz
29-12-2011, 10:45 PM
I was looking forwards to doing this but i dont think my car is going to hack it now! Turbos are making a strange high pitch kind of squeal when i get above about 8psi.. Looks like new turbos for me... :-( Strange cos the car dosnt blow any smoke or eat oil but i guess thats the way it goes huh.

ILLEGAL
29-12-2011, 11:07 PM
time to get a gt35r in there i think? :)

and the new borg warners look like a great piece of technology.

Gly
30-12-2011, 12:20 AM
its not just the normal turbo whistle sound your hearing?

roryfromnz
30-12-2011, 12:53 AM
It has the normal whistle after it gets above 8psi the sound changes to pitch its hard to explain... my girlfriend thinks it sounds like a bird churping?? Hah :-)

roryfromnz
30-12-2011, 12:54 AM
How much for a gt35r setup??

Gly
30-12-2011, 03:14 AM
more than the cars worth, last one with that size turbo blew up the stock motor,
its all custom, manifolds, pipe work, bigger injectors, fuel pump, ecu and tune, etc.

your looking at approx $15000 to get someone to do it for you

roryfromnz
30-12-2011, 03:24 AM
OMG what about a TD06?

Gly
30-12-2011, 05:02 AM
same amount of work, just a different turbo.

basically if you cant do it yourself, its always going to cost a small fortune, especially if you want it done right.

roryfromnz
30-12-2011, 05:15 AM
Looks like i need to look for a welder and start learning! hah

ILLEGAL
30-12-2011, 08:48 AM
yeh not cheap if you cant weld.. or cant get someone to weld for you...

my break down IMO is approx... keep in mind a garret non ball bearing is $1100 or a china turbo around $400.

turbo $2400 (garrett GT35r from driven performance.. "twsted" might come to the party here??)
manifolds $2000 for bolt on complete product. materials cost is $200 rest is labour
new plenum $1000, or you can have your factory one changed for little less but worth doing aftermarket.. even just for the look materials is same at around $200
new exhaust from turbo to cat $150 including 02 bung materials around $60
i suggest doing fuel pump and injectors. $600 with 6 injectors flowed and tested and genuine intake pump
and have "kenneth" write you a ecu map to suit the injectors....?? not sure his rates

NOW im not 100% sure why when turbos are added to a car that is still running AFMs and the engine blows up. the first thing to be blamed is the turbo? because from what i understand the afm sees the air coming through and adds fuel to run correctly.. id be looking at the o2 sensor being the problem or knock sensor.. if not the engine itself. the ecu should add fuel and retard timing if det is detected and the ecu will also stop the spark if over boost (too much air flow) is detected

case in point i ran my td05 big 16G for a season of NSDW (drags) at over 20psi with just a sniff of the exhaust tune with a AFC no issues running 12s allday.. and then put the td06 25G on and run over 25psi all day...and i only blew the engine because of 2 things.. had oil and water mixing due to the psi i love to run (go hard or go home) i had a blown head gasket (engine related) and also the factory oil sump couldnt cope with racing over 15 laps of hampton at 30psi and starved the engine around the corners.. also engine related.

we need a group welding service.. must be good with the TIG and able to work after hours for only beers and good conversation or minimum cash rates.. my contact is ozzy now so im paying full price at the moment.

roryfromnz
30-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Your car really is awesome Richard, I have seen all the pics and big ups to you. That is one hell of a machine! :-D Big inspiration for me thats for sure! Id love to do what i think Gowlf had done and weld up 2 standard exhaust manifolds to match the TD04L's. That way not too much needs to be welded and would keep costs down alot. I have seen 2 pretty much new WRX turbos for about $250 each, then around 100 for a spare set of manifolds.. Then need someone to weld new downpipes to the new exhaust housing's etc.. I can jimmy up some hard pipes for the intercooler side.. As for fuel ill be getting a new pump and FPR soon.. i also have an Apexi SAFC fitted.. will need the wideband o2 meter and bung wired in well before i go fiddling.. Id only want to run 14psi max max but id love to have the turbos pull well past the 4000rpm mark. So thats what id like to have.. and i just need to find a friend who is great with a welder.. i think my sis BF can weld but will need to check his skills... lol :-)

ILLEGAL
30-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Nice. should flow heaps.. and for the price sounds great. now.. about this chap who can weld.. he have is OWN gear and if he does.. whats he got? MIG? TIG? Normally if they own the gear. they know how to use it.

Oggie
06-01-2012, 01:22 AM
How much for a gt35r setup??

racefab.co.nz do custome manifolds from 1200 dollars.

infactthey pretty much do everything.

once i have my bills out of the way iw ill be getting them to make me a new set of manifolds and down pipe/s

ILLEGAL
06-01-2012, 05:03 AM
racefab = SOLID work.. nice.. Terry, are you getting the cams through the group buy?? with those prices you'd be silly to miss out.

Oggie
06-01-2012, 07:57 AM
i wish i could get them but i am recoverign from xmas... if i somehow mangae to find 700 b4 then iw ill grab a set as well. hate my mate right now.. hes got me torn between two larger turbo's and one turbo. but i am clinging to one mofo large turbo :) for a couple reasons.