PDA

View Full Version : EC5A ECU M/T ROM Comparation

ersanalamin
05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Hi Guys, Originally my car is EA5A and now running 1997 EC5A M/T AYC AWD. The ECU part number is MD340288 with MH7202F on board. I am found out car idle/underload is not very smooth, catching a bit cough frequently, just like fail coil pack. I am swapping the ECU taken from my mate legnum M/T p/n MD340288 with H8/539 Chip on board, and then its iddling a bit smooth. Assuming the coil pack is in good condition therefore my ECU is not in good condition. Its sad that I am unable to analyze the H8 stock ROM feature. But before accusing the ECU slightly damage, I am doing some ROM analyzing and tuning based on Merlin Guidance. Just curious, if its truly exist, I wonder if its any differences in ECU Stock ROM feature between my car and latest EC5A with the same spec? Anybody has it? Is it safe to flash the latest ROM into my stock ECU. Any advice will be appreciate. TIA

foxdie
05-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Ersan,

As far as I know, the H8/539 ECUs came before the MH7202F, and that the 7202 chip is infact a H8 series chip as well (possibly even a 539 with a different boot loader).

All VR-4 ECUs were tuned to 280 PS (276 HP), with exception to the pre-facelift auto which was tuned to 260 PS (256 HP), on the logic that pre-facelifts generally came with a MH7201 ECU (metal box), I'd say that all plastic box ECUs (H8/539, MH7202F and MH7203FA) all came with a near-identical 280 PS tune.

When you say the latest EC5A, I'm presuming you mean the end of line models which came with MH7203FA ECUs, I'm not sure if they came with a different tune or not, chances are there may be slight revisions but nothing major.

Is it safe to flash the latest ROM onto your stock ECU? Yes, it seems that all H8/539, MH7202F and MH7203FA ROM images are interchangeable, however you need to ensure you're flashing a manual ROM onto a manual car and not an auto ROM, the latter will look for features / connections that simply do not exist. Also, you need to edit the XML definition to make sure that memmodel is set correctly.

To flash a H8/539
You need to have MMCFlash to do this. Flash it as a MH7202F / H8539F in MMCFlash.

To flash a MH7202F
Use Ecuflash to flash, edit VR4Base.xml and make sure that memmodel is set to H8539F;

<memmodel>H8539F</memmodel>

To flash a MH7203FA
Use Ecuflash to flash, edit VR4Base.xml and make sure that memmodel is set to H8539FA;

<memmodel>H8539FA</memmodel>

If you need ROM images, let me know :)

ersanalamin
05-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi Ersan,

As far as I know, the H8/539 ECUs came before the MH7202F, and that the 7202 chip is infact a H8 series chip as well (possibly even a 539 with a different boot loader).

All VR-4 ECUs were tuned to 280 PS (276 HP), with exception to the pre-facelift auto which was tuned to 260 PS (256 HP), on the logic that pre-facelifts generally came with a MH7201 ECU (metal box), I'd say that all plastic box ECUs (H8/539, MH7202F and MH7203FA) all came with a near-identical 280 PS tune.

When you say the latest EC5A, I'm presuming you mean the end of line models which came with MH7203FA ECUs, I'm not sure if they came with a different tune or not, chances are there may be slight revisions but nothing major.

Is it safe to flash the latest ROM onto your stock ECU? Yes, it seems that all H8/539, MH7202F and MH7203FA ROM images are interchangeable, however you need to ensure you're flashing a manual ROM onto a manual car and not an auto ROM, the latter will look for features / connections that simply do not exist. Also, you need to edit the XML definition to make sure that memmodel is set correctly.

To flash a H8/539
You need to have MMCFlash to do this. Flash it as a MH7202F / H8539F in MMCFlash.

To flash a MH7202F
Use Ecuflash to flash, edit VR4Base.xml and make sure that memmodel is set to H8539F;

<memmodel>H8539F</memmodel>

To flash a MH7203FA
Use Ecuflash to flash, edit VR4Base.xml and make sure that memmodel is set to H8539FA;

<memmodel>H8539FA</memmodel>

If you need ROM images, let me know :)

Very good Info. Well I think I need

1. Latest VR4base.xml for my car spec.

I take the vr4base.xml from this link

http://www.evoscan.com/roms/mitsubishi/download.php?action=download&path=files/36/vr4base1.xml

dont know if its the best vr4base.xml, but work in my car

2. Stock ROM EC5A M/T p/n MD340288 MH7202F chip

I also took that rom from this link

http://www.evoscan.com/roms/mitsubishi/download/bin/46/20030011%20Standard%20ROM%20JDM%20Galant%20VR4%20M anuel.bin

They say is OEM ROM but I found out the speed limiter had been expanded

Also find this at russian website, dont know whats the option behind the ROM tuning, havent tried yet

http://www.vr-4.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=2826&highlight=MD340288

Need your comment about all of those option. BTW Do you have some tuned ROM MD340288 ECU with MH7202F chip? whats tuning option behind each tuned ROM?

foxdie
05-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Most of that should be good, vr4base.xml and "Manuel" (hehe) are a good starting point, however I had issues with the wastegate duty cycle, just double check those before you go mental :)

ersanalamin
16-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Most of that should be good, vr4base.xml and "Manuel" (hehe) are a good starting point, however I had issues with the wastegate duty cycle, just double check those before you go mental :)

Jason, do you have a std rom and tuned rom for power with great economy with stock boost?

foxdie
16-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Jason, do you have a std rom and tuned rom for power with great economy with stock boost?

Hi Ersan,

I have ROMs tuned for an extra 30-40 HP but it's not simply a case of flashing it. Each ROM is tailored to the subtleties of each car, every engine is different and acts slightly differently, some can be pushed further than others before knock occurs.

As for ROMs tuned for economy, that is a work in progress, please see this thread: why is the VR4's mapping so s**t? (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?61280-why-is-the-VR4-s-mapping-so-s**t)

I'm going to be testing a ROM today tuned for better efficiency, the problem is that measuring efficiency isn't a short term test like upping power levels. I have to do a lot of motorway mileage on the 26th December to visit family, that will be an ideal test for any mapping I do.

I suggest you jump in on the other thread for further updates :)

ersanalamin
16-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi Ersan,

I have ROMs tuned for an extra 30-40 HP but it's not simply a case of flashing it. Each ROM is tailored to the subtleties of each car, every engine is different and acts slightly differently, some can be pushed further than others before knock occurs.

As for ROMs tuned for economy, that is a work in progress, please see this thread: why is the VR4's mapping so s**t? (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?61280-why-is-the-VR4-s-mapping-so-s**t)

I'm going to be testing a ROM today tuned for better efficiency, the problem is that measuring efficiency isn't a short term test like upping power levels. I have to do a lot of motorway mileage on the 26th December to visit family, that will be an ideal test for any mapping I do.

I suggest you jump in on the other thread for further updates :)

Great, can I have copy of them for comparison?

lateshow
16-12-2011, 10:36 PM
You dont need a copy. Just set your fuel values with wideband, they will have to be made a little leaner all the way from load 120
Like so that 9.8 from the original map is somewhere around 10.8. Depends on many things.

Then add some advance to load 120-140. 160 may be the original. 180 has to be -1 or something 200+ -2 or something

Remove Fuel cuts

WGDC to 100% in the two maps

BDEL to 160 in all four maps.

Then you should have your extra 30-40 hp. THIS IS A GENERAL GUIDELINE FOR TUNING A VR4, nothing more