PDA

View Full Version : headlight bulbs

imapetrolhead
08-12-2011, 04:33 PM
any one got a link to what headlight bulbs my legnum should have. they are like candles, someones soldered the wires to the wrong bulbs and just dropped them in the headlights.
looks like it should be a 3 pin bulb? any ideas

Nick Mann
08-12-2011, 10:31 PM
H1 and H7, IIRC. One of each in the headlight. I can't remember off the top of my head which is the dipped beam and which is main beam. Neither are three pronged though, but the loom connector does look like it should be.

imapetrolhead
08-12-2011, 11:06 PM
right cool, its definatly got the wrong ones at the moment, ive got some spare for the galant, ill have look see if fit

apeman69
09-12-2011, 01:47 AM
H7 for dipped beam and these plug into a plastic bulb holder which you may or may not have. Bulb holder fits into lens and is held by pesky springy clip (TM). Loom plug fits onto the pins on the bulb holder. Bulb is 2 pin though connector looks like 3 pin. The big rubber surround at the loom plug comes off to give you a tiny bit more room in which to slash your hands and fingers. It isn't too bad changing the H7 bulbs in situ as I found out this week following a collar-feeling from the busies, but I've done them before.
I had to remove headlights when I changed some bulb (maybe sidelight: can't remember) and this may be a good option for you if you can't easily see or work out what's been done to yours. 10 mins taking them out could save ages of messing about and cursing.

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyThumb (TM) :)

Nick Mann
09-12-2011, 08:50 AM
It's all the same bulbs and holders as the Galant.

imapetrolhead
09-12-2011, 04:46 PM
cool thank you, got no spring clips or bulb holders or covers, someones messed them right up

Scanny
10-12-2011, 11:16 AM
might be worth buying replacements instead of messing around with wiring to fix someone elses mess. they arent that expensive so they could work out cheaper than getting a lot of electrics replaced unless doing it yourself

imapetrolhead
10-12-2011, 11:39 AM
the wirings fine, its just had spade connectors fitted it the bulb plug for some reason, i found a set of bulbs this morning out of a galant i scrapped a year ago so will have a go and see it any fit better

imapetrolhead
10-12-2011, 05:31 PM
what a pain wires were a mess, had to solder wires up that were too short to get to. the bulbs were bodged right up with spacers and everything. all sorted now yay can see again

bingo999
16-12-2011, 12:57 AM
would these be ok?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55w-XENON-HEADLIGHT-BULB-SET-SKODA-Octavia-all-H7-H1-/250356821794?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a4a6def22#ht_1628wt_1037

Nick Mann
16-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Those will fit fine, but the free sidelights are wrong, ours are bayonet style.

bingo999
16-12-2011, 02:13 PM
cheers Nick

ex-derv
16-12-2011, 02:20 PM
this ebay store has got everything for our car lights - reckon I can get new xenon bulbs for the whole front for about £20

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Performance-Parts-Ltd?_trksid=p4340.l2563

ex-derv
23-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Those will fit fine, but the free sidelights are wrong, ours are bayonet style.

I bought some LED sidelights but they're too big to fit in the hole in the back of the refelector - is there a trick to getting round this or is it just a case of using a single LED type?

ex-derv
30-12-2011, 08:05 PM
this ebay store has got everything for our car lights - reckon I can get new xenon bulbs for the whole front for about £20

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Performance-Parts-Ltd?_trksid=p4340.l2563

tried these in the dark and rain tonight. Absolute toss - don't waste your time and money on them. You may insert 'what do you expect for that sort of money?' comment below.

apeman69
30-12-2011, 10:13 PM
That's a big selection you're not impressed with. Stating specifically which bulbs you bought may help others' buying decisions.
I changed from the std halogen to xenon (legal 55w) ages ago and the difference in visibility is huge.

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyThumb (TM) :)

ex-derv
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
well, thats a fair point you make. In fact, I drove my car last night and had a completely different opinion of them. The bulbs I fitted were 100w xenon dipped beam ones (and I haven't been flashed once by other drivers). In the wet when there is water spray they were not good - the spray looked like fog in the slightly cool blue light that the xenons give but in the dry they give useful light. I wouldn't say that they look miles brighter than the standard halogens but the light they give seems to travel further and look cleaner if that makes sense?! It certainly has made me rethink my idea to change the fog lights for ultra white xenons - I think they'd be pretty useless to be honest. Also, the free sidelights that they give with the H7 bulbs aren't any use to us as sidelights but they will fit our cars as number plate bulbs in the tail gate. Hope this is more helpful.