PDA

View Full Version : Winter tyres?

wirdy
26-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Is anyone using these??

My spare set of EVO 4 alloys are sat in the garage doing nothing, so I thought about some winter (M+S) tyres. I used them in Germany (as you had to for insurance purposes between November and March) but hadn't found many stockists in this country - that seems to have changed now & most companies will supply them.

I've been looking at various brands and have no feedback to compare them. Has anyone used a certain brand or can give some recommendations?

Maybe some of our members who are north of the border have tried some (Brian, Ian,)?

Polabear
26-11-2004, 12:55 PM
We don't have that in Devon Nige...winter that is....but having originated in the northeast I do vaguely remember it.. :lipsrseal :rolleyes5

Roadrunner
26-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Is anyone using these??

Maybe some of our members who are north of the border have tried some (Brian, Ian,)?
Problem is trying to find any with a speed rating suited to the car without spending the same money as you'd spend on quality "normal" road tyres. Anything VR or WR rated was megabucks :( and none "looked" the part (i.e. they just looked like normal road tyres, not the M+S pattern that I'd thought about. Most tyres these days are pretty universal (i.e. can be good in dry or wet, pants in snow, and totally useless on ice ;) ). I'd need to be driving in snow for months on end before it would be worthwhile fitting special tyres (imho ;) ).

Brian

wirdy
26-11-2004, 06:15 PM
I hadn't considered the speed rating issue :$ that could throw a question mark over any insurance claim for an accident - even if it was at low speed in poor conditions - we all know that M+S tyres would offer better traction, but I guess the insurance company could wriggle out if the wrong speed rating were fitted.

Hmmm - think I'll save my pennies and just fit some 'track-day' tyres instead ;)