View Full Version : K-Sport

Kenan
24-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Hey Couples,
i am looking for a adjustable Suspension and i am thinking about this,
does it fit to the EC5W?
Has someone here this Kit installed
I am really thinking to buy this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300474966670?item=300474966670&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&cmd=ViewItem&hash=item45f5b4228e&vxp=mtr

cheers

Gly
25-12-2011, 09:12 AM
no they wont fit, there USDM galant units,
and do not use the same suspension as a JDM,

usdm=macpherson strut,
JDM/EURO = double wishbone

crazydriver81
25-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Kenan, kauf Dir ein Fahrwerk und kein K-Sport. :) Außerdem darfst Du nicht vergessen, dass hier noch Transport und Zoll fällig werden. Dann wird das kaum günstiger als ein in Deutschland (passend) gekauftes Fahrwerk.

Kauf Dir das hier: http://camskill.co.uk/m22b0s2213p9640/TEIN_LOW_DOWN_SPEC_SUPER_WAGON_DAMPER-COILOVER_KITS_-_TEIN_Super_Wagon_Damper_Coilover_Kit_-_Legnum_EC5W_VR4_2_5_Twin_Turbo_

Gruß
Stefan

The Vee
25-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I guess from the link Stefan is recommending the tein coil over set up. I have these on my car and have been very pleased. Not as hard ride as some kits, but a good all rounder

Kenan
25-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Thought I found a bargain.:evilgrin:
I must admit that the Tein bit too expensive.
I think I'll install the Bilstein B6.
I need to look once

Xenon
27-12-2011, 09:07 PM
... http://camskill.co.uk/m22b0s2213p9640/TEIN_LOW_DOWN_SPEC_SUPER_WAGON_DAMPER-COILOVER_KITS_-_TEIN_Super_Wagon_Damper_Coilover_Kit_-_Legnum_EC5W_VR4_2_5_Twin_Turbo_...

Gruß
Stefan

Does anyone have a set of these fitted on an EC5A and, if yes, is this a recommended set?

Actually, the optional EDFC appears attractive to me too, but it's listed for the EC5W only. I wonder why, because except of the rear spring rates, there is no difference in EC5A/W-suspension (as far as I know), so why would it fit in a Wagon and won't in a Saloon?

I would be pleased if anyone could tell me this set (with or without the EDFC option) is a go or nogo.

@The Vee: you are pleased with this set. On what milage did you base your opinion? How do they last?
Please shoot :)

The Vee
27-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I can't remember what all the chassis codes mean, but mine is basically a V6 8G saloon with a VR4 engine never been AWD. Yes I have been pleased with the ride quality and mine has always been a compromise between road and track use. They have been fitted now for 4 or 5 years I think and have never had an issue except on occasion when the piston boot rubs the spring and squeaks! First got these coilovers after numerous combinations that I wasn't happy with. I was lucky with these when Nick Mann already had them fitted to his Legnum and let me have an extended test drive. They felt good on his car too.
Just to confirm (having looked at the link again mine are the super wagon set up, but I have not got them particularly low although certainly lower than stock. I should think I've done 30 -35 thousand miles on them.

Xenon
27-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks @ The Vee :) Pretty convincing facts! I'm already a step closer to order a set.
(FYI: EC5 = 8G 4WD chassis with 2.5L engine, the trailing W indicates a Legnum body, an A instead indicates a Galant body.)

Still curious, hopefully awaiting some EDFC experience here... :)

crazydriver81
28-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Vincent, I could imagine that the EDFC compatibility has to do with the space for the EDFC motors on the rear struts. They might fit on a Legnum but there can be issues with fitting the EDFC motors on a Galant chassis... Just my 2 cents.

Stefan

Xenon
28-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks Stefan.
As far as I can remember, there should be enough available space on top of the struts for mounting the stepper motors.
However, this is only my guess, because imho the front clearance on top of the struts appear less than there is on the rear.
But I don't know any exact dimensions of these stepper motors. Do you?

I've also dropped a line at Camskill's to clear up why they're talking about VR4 (=EC5*) compatibility on one hand, and EC5W only on the other hand...
Once they have responded, I'll share it here with you guys.

... can't wait... :P

The Vee
28-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I think Stefan may have a point with the EDFC. I know Nick Mann had them on his but it was a legnum - I'm sure even on that he had to mod something to get them to fit - Calling Nick Mann .....................................!

Eurospec
28-12-2011, 04:35 PM
The BC Stuff is available for and works on Galants- could prob do you a deal on a set if you wanted.

cheers,

Ben.

Xenon
28-12-2011, 05:17 PM
I think Stefan may have a point with the EDFC. I know Nick Mann had them on his but it was a legnum - I'm sure even on that he had to mod something to get them to fit - Calling Nick Mann .....................................!

Okay :). @Nick, please respond :)
I will check out the amount of available space on top of my rear struts. Could be that a Leggy has less space available compared to a Galant. Or the other way around... :(

The BC Stuff is available for and works on Galants- could prob do you a deal on a set if you wanted.

cheers,

Ben.

Great! I'm curious. Please contact me by PM with all details incl shipment to the Netherlands.

@all: Thnx! :)

Nick Mann
28-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Sorry - only just seen this thread! Yes, I too like the Super Wagon set up. I have EDFC on my Legnum, no modification was required for the set up to fit. I should get a chance to check the clearance required over the next few days, if I do I will post back up on here.

IIRC White Lightning also had a set on his EC5A, but without the EDFC. Searching on tein and white lightning should bring something up, I would have thought. I would guess Mr. The Vee has a chassis code beginning EA5A.

The BC stuff Ben has is an interesting alternative. I don't know if there is an EDFC type option for them though? The differences I would highlight are that the BC stuff has higher spring rates, so is noticeably firmer and the ride height adjustment range is lower than the teins, so if you want a lot of ground clearance go for teins, if you want it very low go for the BC stuff. The BC stuff looked good quality out of the box, but I haven't lived with it for very long. The Tein stuff also looked good out of the box, but after 5 years on salty UK roads the shock absorber bodies are suffering badly with corrosion. They are still serviceable but I want to give them a good abrasive clean and protective paint before they go on my latest VR4. Maybe the BC stuff will be the same, maybe not?

For me the Tein is the better compromise for handling and ride, but there are plenty on here who prefer stiffer spring rates, as you get with the BC stuff. From memory, the Teins are approx 6kg front and 4kg rear, the BC are approx 10kg front 7kg rear. I may be slightly out, but you get the idea.

Xenon
28-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks Nick, you've just picked the facts that count for me.
Since I'm no way interested in using my VR4 for scratching tarmac (not to mention a bunch of idiotic oversized speed bumps over here), I intend to lower it somewere around 30mm only. Because of all different purposes the VR4 is used for, I prefer the ease of EDFC to switch between a sporty go-kart setup (in case I suffer on high testosteron levels) and the capability of a highway suitable long distance family cruiser as the opposite (in case I suffer on family manners).
Next, the Tein sets appear to be very reliable. Maybe other brands are too, but for Tein it's already a known reputation. I'm convinced and go for Tein. (@Eurospec: if you can make me an offer for TEIN+EDFC instead of BC, would be nice. Thnx)

About the clearance issue: i can't imagine there is any, because I 've just checked on it. Ripped off the far right pillow to get an eye on the top strut mount.
I've shot a picture (but need to figure out how to attach it here), but I have at least 5 inches of free space above the stut. If a stepper motor won't fit in there, it wil definitely not fit in the front.

Thanks @ all for helping me out this fast.

crazydriver81
28-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Vincent, the EDFC Motor can only be mounted, if the whole strut is in place. The control motor has an extension which needs to go inside the damper. I assume it is not impossible but might be difficult.

By the way, I think you have a wrong impression of the influence of changed damper stiffnes. The "hardness" of a coilovers kit is determined by the spring rate. Changing the damper stiffness will only have an influence on damper response but not on the comfort of your ride.

Nick Mann
29-12-2011, 12:33 AM
From the photo, that looks like plenty of space to mount the EDFC motor. I mounted the motors prior to mounting the strut, so clearance for fitting is definitely not an issue.
The BC set up might be able to give you a 30mm drop, but everything would be adjusted close to the limit to do so. The teins can certainly do that, and potentially might be able to increase the ridfe height.
Stefan - I agree with your statement from a theory point of view, but changing the dampers settings does change the apparent stiffness of the ride. If I have the dampers stiffness at maximum, I get significantly less suspension travel for the same situation, so the car moves more violently over speed bumps or rumble strips. One issue with the teoins is that a fully loaded car can hit the bump stops on the rear struts. That is easy to do with 4 people and the rear dampers set to soft, simply drive a little too fast over a speed bump. However, the same adults the same speed and the same speed bump wil be fine if the dampers are set to hard. I guess that the dampers are able to be so firm that the movement of the sping is kept absolutely to a minimum. This gives the feel of a car with a higher spring rate. Don't get me wrong - firm to soft is not like chalk and cheese, changing the spring rate would give you a much more noticeable difference. If you drive down a slightly bumpy road and change the damping you wil not notice much, but for violent movements the difference is significant.

low_vr4
29-12-2011, 02:55 AM
andrew, do you have keeper springs on yours? im looking at buying some second hand ones

The Vee
29-12-2011, 04:03 AM
No keepers. Just straight out the box.

Eurospec
29-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah i can work out some package prices for you in the morning.

So Tein + EDFC and BC + BC to Netherlands. Do you guys need fitted/set up prices or just supplied costs?

Cheers,

Ben.

Mark 4
29-12-2011, 07:17 PM
From the photo, that looks like plenty of space to mount the EDFC motor. I mounted the motors prior to mounting the strut, so clearance for fitting is definitely not an issue.
The BC set up might be able to give you a 30mm drop, but everything would be adjusted close to the limit to do so. The teins can certainly do that, and potentially might be able to increase the ridfe height.
Stefan - I agree with your statement from a theory point of view, but changing the dampers settings does change the apparent stiffness of the ride. If I have the dampers stiffness at maximum, I get significantly less suspension travel for the same situation, so the car moves more violently over speed bumps or rumble strips. One issue with the teoins is that a fully loaded car can hit the bump stops on the rear struts. That is easy to do with 4 people and the rear dampers set to soft, simply drive a little too fast over a speed bump. However, the same adults the same speed and the same speed bump wil be fine if the dampers are set to hard. I guess that the dampers are able to be so firm that the movement of the sping is kept absolutely to a minimum. This gives the feel of a car with a higher spring rate. Don't get me wrong - firm to soft is not like chalk and cheese, changing the spring rate would give you a much more noticeable difference. If you drive down a slightly bumpy road and change the damping you wil not notice much, but for violent movements the difference is significant.

Totally agree with Nick on this. I have the Tein with EDFC on my saloon.

Xenon
29-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah i can work out some package prices for you in the morning.

So Tein + EDFC and BC + BC to Netherlands. Do you guys need fitted/set up prices or just supplied costs?

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

Great! :)
Would be nice on this short term :)
I'm interested in supplied costs only, warranty conditions and ETA after ordering a set, where my focus is on TEIN.
I'm looking forward to it. Many thanks in advance!

@Mark 4: Thanks for your confirmation.

adaxo
30-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Hi Vincent, cant really help with your decision apart from saying that my teins are great but don't know much about other makes to compare, reason why I post really is that I would like to know a bit more about lights in your sig, they look rather nice IMO and it will be great if you point me in some direction how to made that or where you get this from, sorry for thread hijacked.

Xenon
30-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi Vincent, cant really help with your decision apart from saying that my teins are great but don't know much about other makes to compare, reason why I post really is that I would like to know a bit more about lights in your sig, they look rather nice IMO and it will be great if you point me in some direction how to made that or where you get this from, sorry for thread hijacked.
Hi Adam,

Thnx for your credits.
Sure, I'll do this. But I think this is not the appropiate topic. I'll start a new one and drop the link afterwards in this reply. Check?

adaxo
30-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Adam,

Thnx for your credits.
Sure, I'll do this. But I think this is not the appropiate topic. I'll start a new one and drop the link afterwards in this reply. Check?

Ye that will be great, thx