PDA

View Full Version : well Oil be damned!

Trow
27-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Hey folks, just been talking with one off my mate's who say's that fully synth oil aint really that good for your car - he says it was developed to be used in extreme cold conditions and the only way they could recoup the development costs was to market it as good for high perfomance engines, in fact he say's mobil1 is one of the worst!! now can someone please give me a verbal hug and tell me that I was right to spend 70 bucks on oil and it's not going to trash my engine!!!!

_simon_
28-11-2004, 05:49 AM
I'd say your $70 was well spent, although next time I'd look around abit as I'm sure I've got it for the low $60's. I think it was $62.
I have heard that some of the brand oils is the same stuff as Mobil 1 but cheaper. But I have no proof of this and so always buy Mobil 1 to be sure thats what I'm getting.

Roadrunner
28-11-2004, 10:12 AM
just been talking with one off my mate's who say's that fully synth oil aint really that good for your car
So what would he recommend? Mineral oil? Vegetable oil? Cooking oil? :p ;)

I've been using fully synthetic in turbocharged cars for six years, covering around 180k miles with two engines (a 2.0 flat-4 TT Subaru and the 2.5 V6 TT Mitsubishi) with no problems with either the engines or the turbos. I wouldn't use anything less than fully synthetic. Currently using Castrol RS 0W40.

Brian

Physician
28-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Two knowledgeable people I've spoken with since owning my VR4 ......... a racing car company owner and my own garage mechanic have told me to use nothing else BUT fully synthetic oil.

Trow
28-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Yeh, see now I agree with you guys - he says that synthetic oil has heaps of additives which breakdown and change properties once it get's up to heat, he says that these are what damages your engine! he suggested using a normal non synthetic oil with some sort of additive, can't quite remember the name of - top fuel or top something!!!!

Hmmmm, I will find out the right name of the additive and post it here. still think I will stick with my mobil 1 tho, seems to be pretty well tried and tested!

wirdy
28-11-2004, 09:34 PM
I don't know whether you guys in NZ have heard of a UK weekly magazine called Auto Express (part of a German magazine group called Auto Bild actually :gun1: ) anyway, I digress........we're all one big happy 'european' family aren't we.

This mag has the resources to buy new cars, vans etc then run them as normal cars for up to 100,000 miles. They then subject them to a complete nut & bolt stripdown. All the high perf cars ran on Mobil 1 & when they stripped the engines down & measured the journals, bores, camlobes, cranks, etc they all exhibited negligable wear. That convinced me that fully synth worked in the real world & not just in the advertisements.

I think I'd trust empirical data from the millions of synthetic oil users / race teams, etc rather than your mates advice ;)

KiwiTT
28-11-2004, 10:06 PM
I was sold on Synthetic after seeing a BMW that had done 100,000km on Mobil 1 and that engine had no worn parts.

Engine wear is BAD. Leads to many other problems. Avoid it at all times, by using the best quality fluids, Petrol (Hi-Octane) Oil (Synthetic), Transmission (Mitsubishi's own mix), etc.. Repairs always cost way more that the price of the oil. I think of it as engine insurance.