PDA

View Full Version : rear bearing and hub

venomboy
27-11-2004, 05:59 PM
I need to pull the rear bearing and hub off to swap onto new knuckle joint.
has anyone got an exploded diagram for this part that they could post. zentac perhaps? Has any body pulled this off before and could give some advice? Present thoughts are a blowtorch and slide hammer attached to wheel studs.
VB

wirdy
27-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Uh... heat & slide hammer?

Wouldn't a hub puller be easier? local factors should have a Draper one for about a tenner that's ok for home mechanic use.

Slide hammer could shear/weaken your studs & a blowtorch would cook the grease in your bearings?

There used to be a .pdf of the rear suspension on the site (I copied it at the time). Haven't looked but I guess it was included in the library?

If you can't find it I can e-mail it to you - it's only 354KB. ;)

venomboy
27-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the reply, I sure would appreciate that pdf. as Barry's link is no longer active. I cant see how you can use a hub puller as there is nothing for it to work against, Hub and bearing are one unit, hence slide hammer, I doubt whether a 2 1/2 kg slide hammer is going to damage the threads any, shear force on a bend at 100mph must be a heck of a lot greater than that. And a tiny blowtorch on the outside of a heatsink the size of the rear hub assembly aint gonna get even the outside much above 100degrees let alone the bearings, but even a kettle of boiling water can expand it enough to let the bearing slip.
VB

zentac
27-11-2004, 07:12 PM
emailing you the pics now

venomboy
27-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks richard that really helps, mm looks like there are a couple of sets of bearings in there, I might try using the hub securing bolts behind to push the hub out some way?
vb

zentac
27-11-2004, 08:35 PM
If you need anything else give me a shout.

wirdy
28-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks richard that really helps, mm looks like there are a couple of sets of bearings in there, I might try using the hub securing bolts behind to push the hub out some way?
vb
Let us know how you get on. Hard earned experience! :)