PDA

View Full Version : Ice

Cruiser
28-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey ppl, purchased myself a new headunit so i can listen to my iphone tunes.. the CD changer is nice but CD's are pretty old school these days :P.

ive never fitted a headunit before but did some reading n purchased an ISO cable (had one already in the car though) however the socket on the back of the headunit is nothing like the connector from the ISO cable. it came with a connector but the wires hanging from it are just wires with no plug or anything. ive checked sony's website for an adapter so i can just bypass fiddling with the wires but cannot find 1.

with my lack of experience with electrics, trim n ICE i would prefer to get this installed properly. anybody know any ICE installers around the luton/dunstable area?

Nick Mann
28-12-2011, 03:22 PM
I would imagine that Nutter could sort you out. I guess depending on how busy Pugme is he might be able to help? He certainly has the know how!

Cruiser
28-12-2011, 03:30 PM
nutter = john?
there a halfords nearby but i think they only fit headunits if i buy from them, anybody have any knowledge of halfords dealings?

ps: sry for puttin the thread in the wrong place, thought it wud be best in the UK area if i was asking about UK locations :P

Nick Mann
28-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Yep, Nutter = John. The biggest Luton based hoodlum on these forums! ;)

Nutter_John
28-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Oi I resemble those comments :D

Give me a Ring Aaron , or come over to the unit tomorrow as I'm sure I have one or two of the connectors over there

Wobble
28-12-2011, 08:05 PM
im over in tring tomorrow aswell if you need a hand, have fitted many stereos in my time .

oh and dont go to halfords if there anything like the one near me they have not got a clue

Cruiser
28-12-2011, 08:20 PM
tbh luton is probably the prime habitat for hoodlums, to be the top dog is probably a good thing.
was gna give ya a ring n see about coming over to the unit on saturday but if your there tomorrow then ill probably come over after work.

wobble you wouldnt happen to be the dave from colchester that sang on heart's 12 dave's of christmas?

Wobble
28-12-2011, 08:41 PM
wobble you wouldnt happen to be the dave from colchester that sang on heart's 12 dave's of christmas?

trust me if you heard me singing you would want to crank the stereo up louder , no it wasn't me, maybe next year though.:coat

wintertidenz
28-12-2011, 10:44 PM
You will need to get two adapters - Mitsi to ISO, and then ISO to Sony headunit. Plug the two together, and then connect to the respective ends - sorted!

Nick Mann
29-12-2011, 12:18 AM
tbh luton is probably the prime habitat for hoodlums, to be the top dog is probably a good thing.

PMSL!! I went to school in Dunstable, my folks live in Houghton Regis, one of my sisters lives in Marsh Farm. There is a reason I don;t live there any more..... :D

Cruiser
29-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Lol wobble if you sing next year I will crank the radio up so the whole store can hear.
Did you go to halyard nick? Best place to learn how to be a hoodlum.

Just had a hunt around for an ISo to Sony adapter found a few. Would I get better quality wiring it properly instead of adapter

Nutter_John
29-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Unless you replacing everything in the chain it is not worth it IMHO

CANDEE
29-12-2011, 11:02 AM
The normal mitsi ISO adaptors got to the "std" aftermarket wiring from there. I usually just use the the first one then wire in the headunit from there. Kinda like the Subaru - JVC one I have done below:

If you want the least fuss buy the ISO looms for both ends as they will just plug into each other. :)

Actually the funny thing is that with the current unit I only use about 3 wires off the original wiring.. lol

Cruiser
29-12-2011, 01:04 PM
i shall purchase the ISO to sony headunit adapter, seem to be quite a few on ebay.. hopefully they wont explode.
Although i was interested in visiting john's unit, when its raining outside, a bacon sandwich is handed to me and i can order the wiring with a few clicks my choice is an easy one.

i think i need to start learning how to do wiring, trim ect ect.. seems like everyone in this club are skilled at doing something to cars n all i have is level 1 vehicle refinishing, kinda useless without the correct equipment :P

Nick Mann
29-12-2011, 04:52 PM
No, Aaron, I went to Ashton and then Manshead schools. I was also at a lifeguard club based at Challney School for a few years, which meant I drove up Leagrave high street regularly. One of my sisters also worked at the Halfway House for a while. I moved away for uni in 1993 and haven't really lived there since though, so my local area knowledge is dwindling!

gadboy007
29-12-2011, 05:26 PM
No, Aaron, I went to Ashton and then Manshead schools.

HHmm, you obviously came from the better part of town not like us Tythe Farm hoodlums!!:evilgrin:

Nick Mann
29-12-2011, 05:39 PM
My folks live at the Dunstable end of Houghton Regis, so I ended up in the Dunstable school system. I don't think you would call the place they live posh!! My youngest sister has lived on Marsh Farm for about 10 years now, which must trump your Tythe Farm status by a fair margin! I know I'm never quite happy leaving the car outside my sisters place....

gadboy007
29-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Hehe, quite right!! I used to drive for a taxi firm in Dunstable and hated having to pick up or drop off in Marsh Farm!! Never felt safe even IN a stationary car!!

VR4Kaos
29-12-2011, 06:14 PM
i think i need to start learning how to do wiring, trim ect ect.. seems like everyone in this club are skilled at doing something to cars n all i have is level 1 vehicle refinishing, kinda useless without the correct equipment :P

not every one mate all i can do is fit tyres and i even need a machine to do that lol

jayp
29-12-2011, 06:49 PM
That's the beauty of this forum, if you dont know how to do something there are plenty of helpful people on here that are willing to help you.

Sent from my HTC Desire S

VR4Kaos
29-12-2011, 11:40 PM
That's the beauty of this forum, if you dont know how to do something there are plenty of helpful people on here that are willing to help you.

Sent from my HTC Desire S

Nuff Said !!

wintertidenz
30-12-2011, 12:59 AM
The stereo wiring is quite easy - the Mitsi to ISO adapters usually have writing on each wire as to what it is. Then with the stereo loom, you have the guide that comes with it anyway.

I'm like Jeremy and use only three wires as well, as all mine is going to separate wiring (pre-CarPC anyway, now they are used to power gauges). Illumination, accessory and +12v permanent is all that's needed once you go all out (oh, and a ground too!).