PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad idea?

darkraid
29-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Saw this VR4 for sale on Trademe HERE (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=435602381). The guy has dropped the price $1000 in the past week because it was pink stickered for not having a cert for adjustable suspension. Says its had an engine rebuild 1500km ago. The body has been bogged in the dents or dips possibly rust on the top of the passenger A-pillar/roof so will need a respray in the future.

To get it back on the road legally it'll probably be around $500-600. So a VR4 for about $4000? Haven't looked at it in person yet so can't really tell the condition of the engine. Any signs to look out for?

This does seem fairly cheap and it would be my daily car.

ILLEGAL
29-12-2011, 02:29 PM
looks sweet to me in the pic of the repairs.. but get a pre-purchace inspection bro.. its a old car now.. could have a few thousand to go to get it certed or wof'd. hey even check it twice by 2 different companies.. better spending few extra hundreds now rather than a few thousands shortly.

Gly
29-12-2011, 07:19 PM
a cert will cost approx $400,
and a WOF to remove the pink will have to be a $70 vtnz wof,
+rego

depending on how bad the a-pillar rust is, it will need to be fixed? to pass the cert/wof,
a cert is a very strict wof, so anything that isnt safe will have to fixed,

you'll be be spending atleat $1000 to get it back on the road.

and a full respray, budget in the area of 3-4k for a proper job, (one that will last and looks good)

ILLEGAL
29-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Removing pink stickers
i have no idea what all this means... but id say GLY is correct...

The VIRM: In-service certification states that a vehicle that has had a pink sticker issued must be inspected by a vehicle inspector employed by a Transport Service Delivery Agent (TSDA) before the sticker can be removed. It also states that the vehicle owner must take evidence of the inspection to the Police to remove the flag from their system. Pages 2-1-13 and 3-2-1 of the LATIS agents manual (used only by TSDAs) outline the process for removing a pink sticker from LANDATA. Please note that this only applies if the pink sticker has been recorded in LANDATA in the first place (ie, it was issued by Land Transport NZ). In this case, the operator does not need to provide evidence to Land Transport NZ unless they are specifically instructed to on the sticker notice. This will be clarified in the LATIS agents manual in the next amendment.

also... TRC - phone 0800 108 809(for phone inquiries from members of the public)

Fully
30-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Check the sump pan were it joins, check the head gasket, have a look around the oil and water pump.
The sealant should be pretty newish and clean.

low_vr4
30-12-2011, 01:38 AM
bad idea. get a legnum :)

darkraid
30-12-2011, 01:41 AM
looks sweet to me in the pic of the repairs.. but get a pre-purchace inspection bro.. its a old car now.. could have a few thousand to go to get it certed or wof'd. hey even check it twice by 2 different companies.. better spending few extra hundreds now rather than a few thousands shortly.

That's a good idea. Is there any place you'd recommend to have carry that check out? How does it work also because I guess I pay for it because I want to know the information but do I have to get the owner of the car to take it to the place or what?

a cert will cost approx $400,
and a WOF to remove the pink will have to be a $70 vtnz wof,
+rego

depending on how bad the a-pillar rust is, it will need to be fixed? to pass the cert/wof,
a cert is a very strict wof, so anything that isnt safe will have to fixed,

you'll be be spending atleat $1000 to get it back on the road.

and a full respray, budget in the area of 3-4k for a proper job, (one that will last and looks good)

By the rust I meant there probably was some in the a-pillar once upon a time because in the photos it has been bogged over. It doesn't need further repair it has already been repaired.
If everything is sweet with the car then it'll be around $600 back on the road that is if there is nothing to repair or fix.

I meant a respray of only the outside in the stock colour just to go over the bog. It could be only on just the areas of bog but that would probably be noticeable so I'd just get the full outside done.
My mates uncle said it shouldn't be any more than $1500.

Check the sump pan were it joins, check the head gasket, have a look around the oil and water pump.
The sealant should be pretty newish and clean.

Will check to see if there is any fresh sealant around the gaskets and other signs of the head and sump being off to replace pistons and the other things he listed.

Hopefully my current car will sell soon and I'll be able to start moving towards a VR4. The big thought I am having at the moment is perhaps the VR4 I'm looking at is cheap for a reason. As in its rooted engine wise.

bad idea. get a legnum :)

No way haha. Really interested in the 4G63, sedan and I just really like the look of the E39a Galant.

wintertidenz
30-12-2011, 02:33 AM
The engine looks a little dirty to have been rebuilt - it would have been quite easy to clean up while the engine was apart, so why not do it?

That top radiator hose looks a little restricted as well, I would check that out.

Gly
30-12-2011, 05:26 AM
when it come to paint, for mates rates, you get a mates rates job, ie CR@P! been there done that! never again,
by the amount off bog, it looks like it may aswell be a full spray to me....

it cost my other half $4000 for a full exterior spary (included minor dents, and old paint being striped back and prime) on her toyota
in a dark metallic grey, and its a bloody mint job,

anyway. i would have it looked at by ralli art, or a mitsi dealer workshop.
or a mechanic you trust.

AA reports, and other vehicle checkers arent worth the paper there written on IMO.

make a budget, triple it, thats what you will end up spending at least.

its an old car, and obvisously been a boy racer car, so will have had a hard life
and be needing alot of tlc, (there will be a reason for it be priced low)

go try get a WOF at vtnz for it, see what it fails on.

darkraid
30-12-2011, 07:39 AM
The engine looks a little dirty to have been rebuilt - it would have been quite easy to clean up while the engine was apart, so why not do it?

That top radiator hose looks a little restricted as well, I would check that out.

Yeah I know what you mean. Swap a few engines out with my mates and its a 5 minute job max to clean up the block, head and other bits and pieces. Can't see why you wouldn't do it.
I did see that radiator pipe, very restricted looking. Can't be the right pipe for the job. Doesn't look OEM either.

when it come to paint, for mates rates, you get a mates rates job, ie CR@P! been there done that! never again,
by the amount off bog, it looks like it may aswell be a full spray to me....

it cost my other half $4000 for a full exterior spary (included minor dents, and old paint being striped back and prime) on her toyota
in a dark metallic grey, and its a bloody mint job,

anyway. i would have it looked at by ralli art, or a mitsi dealer workshop.
or a mechanic you trust.

AA reports, and other vehicle checkers arent worth the paper there written on IMO.

make a budget, triple it, thats what you will end up spending at least.

its an old car, and obvisously been a boy racer car, so will have had a hard life
and be needing alot of tlc, (there will be a reason for it be priced low)

go try get a WOF at vtnz for it, see what it fails on.

True that. Could give it a go myself hahah. That would be interesting. I did paint my boss's truck but that isn't a car.
How does that work lol? I can't really take someone elses car and go try get a WOF with it.
Wow this is going to be an expensive car. It probably has had a hard life but it is very hard to find one of these that hasn't.

There is another VR4 I was looking at in Gisborne and they were considering a swap for my S/W and some cash their way but are too busy at the moment to work it out.
Link HERE (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=436055085). Might see if they are interested in Mid-late January. It does look in a lot better condition and it doesn't have a pink sticker and is fully legal for the road. Engine bay also looks stock which is what I want as I would like to do everything myself as then I know it's done properly.
I am now thinking that would be a better one to move forward with. Don't you?

ILLEGAL
30-12-2011, 08:16 AM
:iagree::iagree: (EDIT: with Gly's post)

then buy standard suspension for wof's... if you think i deserve to lose rep points on that comment :-policema FU.. i believe new BC golds are safer than stock suspension anyway and will keep my statement/comment asis thanks.

darkraid
30-12-2011, 08:16 PM
I am going down to Tauranga for tonight for new years and I thought "What's another 300km to drive from Tauranga to Gisborne to have a look at the VR4 down there". So on Monday I will be driving down to Gisborne to have a look at the VR4 down there. I'll keep you guys updated :)

Happy new year!

Subaru ETA
30-12-2011, 08:25 PM
:iagree::iagree: (EDIT: with Gly's post)

then buy standard suspension for wof's... if you think i deserve to lose rep points on that comment :-policema FU.. i believe new BC golds are safer than stock suspension anyway and will keep my statement/comment asis thanks.

Why must every post you make be a dig at the mods? Why would you loose rep for that? Got nothing better to do obviously.

If I was buying it I would do as Carsten said, take it to VTNZ and see what it fails on - just tell the current owner you will pay for it

ILLEGAL
30-12-2011, 11:57 PM
last time i shared a option or a loop hole i know of available to the public i had ALL my rep points removed!!! and no its not aimed at the "mods" im just saying prior to it happening that i think you (the party involved, not actually YOU) can get F****d!!!

why should i lose rep points?? because im actually promoting illegal actions!! but thats just how i roll khuzzy!

Subaru ETA
31-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Easiest way is to just take the car to a dip **** WOF inspector.... My legnum had bright green tien adjustables in it and never failed a WOF at VTNZ lol.

I couldn't even get a WOF at work and I couldn't legally do the WOF myself :p

darkraid
01-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Well with the lovely weather the country is having at the moment all the routes to Gisborne were closed except from Napier but I was coming from Tauranga. So because of that I didn't make it to see the VR4 in Gisborne unfortunately. May fly down sometime and take a look.