PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer in de boot of the Legnum - stealth

MarkSanne
30-12-2011, 05:38 PM
After more than a year in the waiting I've finally added a subwoofer to the Legnum!
The ICE install consisted of:
- Pioneer AVIC HD1BT 2DIN touchscreen headunit
- 4x Hertz HSK165 composet in doors (rears without the tweeters)
- sound deadening materials in all 4 doors (dynamat)

And now added:
- Alpine MRP-M350 mono amp
- Vibe Pulse 10" series 3 400W 4Ohm dual kapston coils speaker (coming out of an enclosed sub)
- almost 8 meters (!) total of huge gauge (0WG?) black wiring for both + and -
- vast amount of sound deadening material

I knew it would be quite a lot of work which was exactly the reason I didn't start earlier... Never seem to have enough time! Getting the extra wiring troughout the car front to back is always quite a challenge but foremost: a lot of work! Almost half the interior needs to get out to get everything neatly in place.

My first idea was to put the sub on the drivers side boot wall. Like Mitsu offered many, many moons ago as a factory option (never seen one IRL or even on pics btw!) but... once I got rid of all the upholstery, I found out the subwoofer I had wasn't gonna fit (the free area was not deep enough). So... next option in my head was the more common used boot tray. I have a spare set so it would be quite riskless to try out if it would fit & sound good.

I started measuring and the empty space below where the spare wheel once was (I trew it out years ago) was ofcourse spacious enough. A bit TOO spacious perhaps?! Luckily I had a whole stack of sound deadening material to provide a more proper ambiance in there. Cleaned the whole area thoroughly and then an evening later: finished with the dynamat-alike material!

Next to do was cutting up the tray to house the amp and woofer. The woofer was easy enough, but the amp was 2cm to high for the top lid too close properly. For that problem I used my FEIN multimaster tool and cut away an area the size of the amp remaining only the top plastic layer, on which the carpeting is glued. I planned to drill a few hundred little holes in the boot-lid area above the woofer, but first...

As all was in place, I needed to listen if it sounded anything like I hoped it would. First I listened without the top lid on. A bit of adjusting on the amp and on the Pioneer. WOW! This was above my expectations! Then I put the top lid on: EVEN BETTER?!! I don't know how it works, but the bass punches are a little deeper and more controlled. I totally love it. This sytem plays anything from pop, rock, dance to classical music in stunning quility and F-ing LOUD too!!!! I'm quite an audiophile and I had little hope this setup with these totally random cheap/free aquired parts would sound any good, but I am shocked how good this sounds. And as a bonus: no rattling what so ever!

In my Galant VR2 I have (had) similar components (identical Pioneer HU got nicked) but with a very special (minimal size) custom built subwoofer & HQ mono amp and that was my reference for almost everything I hear in car audio. I would give that install an 8 out of 10. But this Legnum install receives a well deserved 9!

I'm quite a happy chap atm. And talking about happy: let me be the first (and 1 day early) to whish a happy new year to y'all!

pezza
30-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Hhmmmm looks good, I like what you have done using the old tray..

Wodjno
30-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Nice Lil install there Mark /yes top Job ..